Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The 'Help Tera with his assignments so he can spend more time playing DOTA' Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Off Topic » The 'Help Tera with his assignments so he can spend more time playing DOTA' Thread 21 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » April 29, 2016 4:09am | Report
Alright, so one of the upcoming assessment tasks is a reflection for literature, which entails choosing two poems studied in the class and doing a personal reflection on their themes and how they resonated with me. This can be done in essay or creative form. Naturally, I'm mixing the two.

The theme I'm going for is immortality through literature, being remembered for your works. Stuff like 'Kubla Khan' and 'Ulysses' (the Tennyson one). I'll be doing an analysis about this theme and interjecting this analysis with lines from modern-day poems and songs to back up the thesis that the idea is still relevant in today's society. I will close the argument with a work of my own - and that's the bit that I'm about to post for critique. It's... well, an obvious title.

The Pursuit of Art

Bear in mind that I'm referencing a lot of other literary works and themes, so ask if anything doesn't make sense.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » April 29, 2016 4:22am | Report
About immortality through literature, which sounds like a very interesting theme, an idea: why not make reference to authors where this is so true that they only became recognized post mortem, such as Herman Melville? Anyways good luck, and the theme seems pretty interesting.

As for your own creation, I don't think criticism helps, because you know, art and it being so subjectif :)

But this verses:
"And now (and now)
I live again
Each word a voice that cannot be silenced
I sought (I sought)
A moment in time
But now I have time I can claim so much more" wow man. That **** is beautiful.

Btw from Ulysses: "For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known" - Someone should use this in a guide to Bounty Hunter xD

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 29, 2016 8:26am | Report
reminds me of that quote

live, yet live for one.
speak, yet speak for one.
write, yet write for time eternal.

**** that prose of yours though fam

SEXYASFUC

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » April 30, 2016 7:02am | Report
So... poem's fine?

I'll be working on the analytical part of it and should be putting that up for feedback sometime in the next couple of days.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » April 30, 2016 9:42am | Report
Quoted:
Shakespearian sonnets to modernist writers like Woolf and Joyce.

Did someone call the master in literature and anything that means phylology? No Kappa.

Not sure if you're asignment is done already or if you still have time to work on it. But if you really want to combine the two, and add some wit to it, I can propose a couple things:
  • Make the thing rhyme. Yes, the stupidest advice ever. Of course not all modern poetry(or anything written in verses) rhymes at all, but hey, it's good exercice.
  • Make an acrostih (easily noticeable - or using a key for the reader) For example, one that would spell out the title of your work.
  • Do extra research. If you have/had any Theory of Literature classes, look up on some stuff. Should help greatly. If not, and you need some extra help with it, just ask. More than glad to help.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » April 30, 2016 10:32am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Did someone call the master in literature and anything that means phylology? No Kappa.

Not sure if you're asignment is done already or if you still have time to work on it. But if you really want to combine the two, and add some wit to it, I can propose a couple things:
  • Make the thing rhyme. Yes, the stupidest advice ever. Of course not all modern poetry(or anything written in verses) rhymes at all, but hey, it's good exercice.
  • Make an acrostih (easily noticeable - or using a key for the reader) For example, one that would spell out the title of your work.
  • Do extra research. If you have/had any Theory of Literature classes, look up on some stuff. Should help greatly. If not, and you need some extra help with it, just ask. More than glad to help.

did you mean philology? ;))))

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » April 30, 2016 11:11am | Report
Yes, yes I did. Whoops.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » May 7, 2016 3:20am | Report
Alright, still on that analytical reflection, does anyone know songs written in the past ~30 years that deal with the aforementioned concept of literary immortality? I've got 'Dead Boy's Poem' by Nightwish as a reference, and need maybe 2 or 3 more.

I expect there's a lot of rap about it but I don't know anything about inferior genres like that.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » May 7, 2016 6:51am | Report
Do religious songs count?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » May 7, 2016 7:01am | Report
Eh... not really. It's immortality attained through your artistic creations being passed on through history. Stuff like what I posted, and the other song I found was Nightwish's 'Dead Boy's Poem'.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved