Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Optic - The Watcher

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Optic - The Watcher 18 posts - page 1 of 2

Poll Question:

Rate this hero idea.
Perfect!
Great
Good
Mediocre
Poor
Terrible
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SilencersCurse » June 9, 2013 12:26pm | Report

Optic - The Watcher

http://i.imgur.com/nuOwjXD.png (This is something I quickly threw together on paint so its not a very good depiction, basically I had in mind for an Eel covered in different color eyes and when its abilities are used the eyes glow depending on which abilities, The large eye on the watcher's tail is where it generates its auto attacks in the form of a red laser. when moving the watcher rotates its bottom half like a corkscrew to generate momentum while it hovers through the air.)

Bio: Optic was a mutation of a large multitude of observer wards which combined together to create the creature known as The Watcher.

Optic always prefers to observe a battle from a distance but if faced with a threat it will unleash a variety of powerful magics to attack the sences.

Optic has hundreds of eyes covering its body and a large eyeball on the end of its tail, which it uses to vaporize enemies with a powerful laser-like attack. It is said that Optic cannot be stalked for he can see all spectrums even those which many use to hide in the shadows.

Strength- 17 + [1.7]
Agility- 21 + [2.3]

Intelligence- 21 + [2.5]

Hit Points:|473
Mana:|273
Damage:|50-61
Armor:|4
Movespeed:|300
Attack Range:|600

Spotsight - Channeling,Target Point
Scans an area on the map revealing it for the duration which the watcher focuses on the area, effect improves with level. When the watcher stops channeling the area is faded into fog over 3 second, invisible units will be pseudo revealed they will remain invisible but a red outline of them will be revealed.

Mana Cooldown Range AoE Duration Effects
1|120|45 sec|Unlimited|700|30 seconds|Reveal target area.
2|130|40 sec|Unlimited|1000|30 seconds|Reveal target area.
3|140|35 sec|Unlimited|1300|30 seconds|Reveal target area.
4|150|30 sec|Unlimited|1600|30 seconds|Reveal target area.

Note: This skill is channeled reavealing the target area until the watcher stops channeling or is stunned,silenced,killed,ect.

Ocular Scope - Passive
The watcher has keen senses, especially vision, he can manifest magical energies to increase his sight range. Using his accurate vision The Watcher can also increase his damage output, Ocular Scope also grants the watcher a radar allowing him to detect nearby units in fog.

1|N.A |N.A|100|11AoE|N.A|100 bonus sight range, 1800 vision at night and .5% Sight range as damage.
2|N.A |N.A|200|12AoE|N.A|200 bonus sight range, 1800 vision at night and 1% Sight range as damage.
3|N.A |N.A|300|13AoE|N.A|300 bonus sight range, 1800 vision at night and 1.5% Sight range as damage.
4|N.A |N.A|400|14AoE|N.A|400 bonus sight range, 1800 vision at night and 2% Sight range as damage.

Note: At level 1: 9 bonus damage, at level 2: 20 bonus damage, Level 3: 31 bonus damage and level 4: 44 bonus damage. At level 4, The Watcher will have 2200 daytime sight range and 1800 night time and the effect of Ocular Scope's damage bonus will be slightly reduced during the night time.The radar effect will not show fogged heroes only a red outline of a hero.

Black Flare- Activate, Target-Point

The Watcher creates a flare of dark magic which it hurls at a target location,all enemy units near the black flare have there vision greatly reduced.

1|150|35 sec|1000|600|4 seconds|Reduces enemy units sight by 400
2|150|35 sec|1000|800|6 seconds|Reduces enemy units sight by 600
3|150|35 sec|1000|1000|8 seconds|Reduces enemy units sight by 800
4|150|35 sec|1000|1200|10 seconds|Reduces enemy units sight by 1000

Notes: Normal heroes have 1800 daytime vision and 800 night time vision. If afflicted by the flare at night, there vision would be reduced to 0 at max level. Magic immune targets are unaffected by the Black Flare. Most spells which grant vision will override Black Flare if they are cast after it. Rocket Flare,Track,ect. This ability does not affect tower or wards but does affect creeps and player spawned units.

Eye See You - Target-Enemy unit

The Watcher focuses his attention on an enemy target, during this time the watcher gains vision and unlimited attack range on the target.

Aghanim's Scepter effect:Increases duration by 1, lowers cooldown by 15s and allows the watcher to attack any hero on the map for the duration.

1|150|90 sec|Unlimited|N.A|4 seconds|Gives vision and unlimited attack range
2|225|75 sec|Unlimited|N.A|5 seconds|Gives vision and unlimited attack range
3|300|60 sec|Unlimited|N.A|6 seconds|Gives vision and unlimited attack range
Scepter:
|N.A|-15|Unlimited|N.A|+1 second|Gives vision and unlimited attack range as well as the ability to attack any visible hero.

Note: Orb effects do not work with his ultimate. Without the aganim The Watcher only gains unlimited attack range on the target the spell is used on, with the aganim the Watcher gains vision of all heroes but the area around them is not revealed. The Watcher is restricted to attacking 1 target at a time.

SilencersCurse

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » June 9, 2013 2:40pm | Report
I like this, pretty unique

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 9, 2013 5:01pm | Report
This hero's Agahnim's Scepter upgraded ultimate is something like Zeus' ultimate to me. It's good for KSing and picking up a kill on enemies that have escaped with low health. Also, following the lore of this hero, his ultimate should reveal invisible heroes as well (maybe on level 2, so it doesn't get too crazy).

Very good idea nonetheless, and I hope to see more from you :)

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SilencersCurse » June 9, 2013 5:19pm | Report
Thank you for the feedback I reframed from adding invis detection to his skill set simply because I felt that might be over doing it, I had planned to make his first skill detect invisible units but not reveal them, an example would be like slarks ultimate, they would remain invisible but they would be visibly detectable. Another one I thought about adding to his second skill was a radar like ability which would detect units in fog within the heroes sight radius, it would not reveal the fog or units but it would detect them both on the minimap as well as some visual effect in the fog.

Also the difference between Zues's ultimate and The Watcher's is Zues's Ultimate hits every hero on the map and reveals them, the Watcher only reveals the targeted unit for the duration but if other heroes are visible he can switch targets where as he his forced to focus 1 target without aganims.

SilencersCurse

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » June 11, 2013 5:47am | Report
This hero does not really contribute much to a team, since all he does is provide vision all the time. He needs some kind of disable or a nuke to be truly effective in the game.

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SilencersCurse » June 11, 2013 12:49pm | Report
I respectfully disagree about him not bringing much to a team, he does not require nukes due to his very high attack damage from Ultravision, he also brings good team fight and survivability with Black Flare and global support with Spotsight and Eye See You.

His lack of stun and mobility is offset greatly by his global presence and disruptive capabilities.

If the enemy team is pulling a camp throw a black flare there and stop it in it tracks, no vision and the creep lose aggro, if the enemy team is diving your tower for your carry black flare them and they have no choice but to retreat, team fight breaks out into the river drop a black flare and the enemy team will be crippled without some form of vision to aid them.

His ultimate acts a bit like a furion's presence would except he does not need to put himself in harms way to assist.

Not sure if the enemy team is roshing or all standing on the high ground waiting to pounce, let off your Spotsight and stop there plan cold.

His incredible sight bonus from Ultravision strengthens the effect of black flare in a way since you team will have a huge area of vision where as your opponents will be blind.

His spells also synergize pretty well, Ultravision, makes his ultimate deadly and Spotsight is great for picking off weakened heroes who are not visible with your ultimate, he also has great normal attack range and combined with his high damage having nukes is not so important if you can right click your opponents out of the lane.

SilencersCurse

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mirror » June 11, 2013 3:26pm | Report
I this this a cool hero idea.

My only concern is the skills may conflict a bit. I would like to see this be a full time #4 support but one of his skills gives damage to himself. It could be changed so he only get full night vision after level three of Ultravision and it is an aura that gives 1/3 damage to creeps and heroes near him. That would give him some much needed pushing power.
My lone druid starting items are 12 Iron wood branches, 6 for the hero and 6 for the bear. Even if the bear does not get stats more twigs are OP on any hero.

Mirror

Remarkable (22)
Steam: TC | Shooting Star
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SilencersCurse » June 11, 2013 6:40pm | Report
Mirror wrote:

I this this a cool hero idea.

My only concern is the skills may conflict a bit. I would like to see this be a full time #4 support but one of his skills gives damage to himself. It could be changed so he only get full night vision after level three of Ultravision and it is an aura that gives 1/3 damage to creeps and heroes near him. That would give him some much needed pushing power.

I don't quite understand what you mean, are you saying his Ultravision skill is to weak or to strong or just needs to be tweaked/remade?

Also he only gains the normal 1800 daytime vision at night he does not get the bonus vision from the ability at night.

SilencersCurse

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mirror » June 11, 2013 7:32pm | Report
I think it is a little weak right now. As a support pushing lanes is important and right now he can only get that from right clicks. The skill build I would do as of now would be first level in black flare, second in spot light, black flare, ultra vision for the first night, spotlight, eye see you ext.

The night vision increase is great however an incredibly usefull , and reasonable, buff would make it a toggle aura that gives 1/3 damage buff to creeps.

Since more push is always good I think you could add a little damage to black flare. Something like 25,50,100,200 would be nice. The damage would be little but it adds more push and makes chasing weak heroes a little easier. Something else it would do is give reason to go pass level 2 since its main use would be shutting down heros at night.

One thing I am a little unclear about is spotlight. Does it last 3 seconds or after you are done Chaneling it fades for 3 seconds.

Lastly is it an intelligent hero? That is a very low int gain for an int hero.
My lone druid starting items are 12 Iron wood branches, 6 for the hero and 6 for the bear. Even if the bear does not get stats more twigs are OP on any hero.

Mirror

Remarkable (22)
Steam: TC | Shooting Star
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SilencersCurse » June 11, 2013 8:38pm | Report
The fade causes the revealed area to shrink smaller and smaller over 3 seconds until it refogs.

This hero was really not designed for pushing, he was designed to be a good babysitter, global support, mid game ganker and potentially semi carry. his high damage gained through his skills makes him a powerful global presence with little items, even mid game with just some support items like treads, mek, drums would still give him formidable damage I imagine at level 7 with max Ultravision he could have around 100+ damage and if he went for a more semi carry build he could have things like phase boots and orchid or whatever and mid to low health heroes would be afraid to show there faces anywhere on the map.

I think him being a 3-4th position would be great because he does well with items and his spells are still useful without items to.

As for Black Flare being underpowered I don't know, I feared it maybe to powerful as you can cripple early game gank attempts with ease and not only that but it would be nearly impossible for enemy heroes to safely farm early game in tri lanes if there is Black Flare in the lane. I can only begin to think of the things you could do with Black Flare it is just such a disruptive spell if used at the right time.

Optic is an intelligence hero but he excels in agility which grants him high attack speed which synergizes with his abilities. His low Starting Int and strength prevent him from spamming his disruptive spells to often and his low strength prevents him from being able to over extend he is somewhat of a glass cannon in a way as he is frail but powerful.

Optic
Level: 7
Items: Treads, Mek, Drums
Ultravision
Level: 4
Damage:123-137

Its probably unrealistic that a level 7 would have all those items but even with none of those items he still does 99-113 damage so he is still plenty viable without items I believe.

SilencersCurse

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved