Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Balthier the Fate Conundrum

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Balthier the Fate Conundrum 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » January 9, 2015 6:42am | Report

Balthier The Fate Conundrum

Well then, this is my re-debut hero, and it might be a bit unbalanced (if not completely broken). Please go easy on me lol. Anyway, this hero is created with the idea of Balthier (obviously) of Final Fantasy XII, practically my favorite character in Final Fantasy franchise (kudo if any of you can understand all references in it). This hero had the background as the third wheel of Kunkka and Tidehunter, and focuses on manipulating movement speed to gain damage, excelling at escape or chasing and having potential to become really strong semi-carry early on. Anyway, without further ado, Balthier the Fate Conundrum!!

Lore

Balthier was the name of captain of the Demons of the Cataract that took commands over the Demon Fleet named Striborg, known far and wide as the fastest fleet. Countless battles had he won and hundreds of years had he fared, all as the mightiest admiral the Demons of the Cataract had ever known. However, now Balthier is just a name, the name a certain someone took to register his body —if it was his at all.

Balthier did not remember anything that happened after he commanded the most vicious attack he had ever cried at the Trembling Isle. A bit of memories about roaring waves, a bit about the ancestral spirits the Mages of Cladd called upon, and a bit about the appearance of Maelraun the Tentacular, crashing his personal ship — said to be the fastest ship even in fleet of Striborg — the Strahl.

Amidst the unnerving storm of power, Balthier was helpless and ready to forfeit his life, when he felt chill seeping into his body. He thought he would have reached the Underscape or Hell or wherever it may be, and he was quite right — until he felt himself being dragged down again, and into the rites of the Mages of Cladd, mistakenly summoned as an ancestral spirit. Thus and so, Balthier was dragged into the cycle, which ends with the ancestral spirits being fused into his own, giving birth to Balthier the Fate Conundrum.

Statistics

Faction: The Radiant
Primary Attribute: Agility
Attack Type: Range
Roles: Semi-Carry, Roamer, Pusher, Escape

Str: 70 at 25 (22 + 2.0/level)
Agi: 95 at 25 (23+ 3.0/level)
Int: 62 at 25 (14 + 2.0/level)

Health: 1460 at 25
MP: 816 at 25
Armor: 20 (6.4 base armor + 13.6) at 25
Movement: 310
Range: 350

Skills

[Q] Perfidious Elements: The mere existence of Balthier is a profanity to the world, and at his call other elements of perfidious nature shall gather to him. Upon using this skill, Balthier dispels any positive buff enemy units have in 400 points area and silences them. This skill also amplifies part of any damage Balthier gives to units silenced with this effect as pure damage.

- 2.5 seconds duration, 30% amplification
- 3 seconds duration, 45% amplification
- 3.5 seconds duration, 60% amplification
- 4 seconds duration, 75% amplification

Type: Target ground
Affects: Self, Enemy heroes

MP cost: 120/130/140/150
Cool down: 15 seconds

Now, now, there can only be one leading role!

[W] Warflare: Balthier's countless battles have taught him to strike into wars when the heat of battle is at its peak, turning it into his favor. This skill slows all units in a cone in front of him that starts at 50 width and ends at 250 after 600 points range. Balthier will gain extra move speed as well as attack damage by 10% of the total difference of his and slowed units' movement speed until the slow duration ends.

- 30% slow
- 45% slow
- 60% slow
- 75% slow

Type: Target Point
Affects: Enemy Units

MP cost: 90/105/120/135
Cool down: 12 seconds
Slow duration: 4 seconds

Consider your bones old men. You're outmatched.

[] Striborg: The last of its name, Balthier's gun carries the spirit of his entire fleet that was deemed the fastest. This skill allows him to phase through units until he attacks, which will be splashed in 300 points circular radius for 40% physical damage. Passively, his movement speed is significantly increased.

- 8% movement speed
- 14% movement speed
- 20% movement speed
- 26% movement speed

Type: Passive
Affects: Self
Cooldown: 13/10/7/4 seconds

A fitting support for the leading role, no?

[R] Strahl: After experiencing the "jest" of fate, Balthier now inhuman body can call upon unimaginable strength and explosively releasing them in a single dash. This skill moves Balthier with 3000 points speed to a target point, dragging all passed units within 150 points width in front of him and damaging them over the course of few seconds every half seconds. As long as there is an enemy that currently receives the damage, Balthier can go through maximum speed cap.

- 1000 maximum range, 200 damage over 3 seconds
- 1400 maximum range, 300 damage over 4 seconds
- 1800 maximum range, 400 damage over 5 seconds

Type: Target Point
Affects: Self, Enemy Units
Damage: Pure

MP cost: 175/275/375
Cool down: 120/100/80 seconds

Strahl was my ship you know, she was fast as a ray of light, just as I am.

Scepter upgradable: Cooldown reduced to 40 seconds, damage duration increased to 8 seconds
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » January 9, 2015 3:25pm | Report
Hi Yzreel!

A couple of questions:

What's his base damage? (Please no 0 again... :C)
How is this guy supposed to get off his skills without running out of mana? He has very little mana, the costs are so high, and the low cooldowns suggest you want them to be casted often.

{Q}: Don't you think this is a bit strong? It's an AOE purge, like Fortune's End, but it also silences and amplifies damage. Hmm... I let you think on that.

{W}: Really neat idea, I like the story, however, I think it's a bit underwhelming. Say Baltier has Phase Boots. Without the active, his movespeed will be 360. Adding that to his passive, (maxed) you get around 450. You cannot slow someone under 100 movespeed, so the very maximum damage this could give is... 35. I get that it slows, but the manacost is so high and the damage bonus is so little I feel it could use a buff.

{E}: Neat passive, kinda like Phantom Rush, but I like that it gives movement speed.

{R}: What does "3000 points speed" mean? 3000 movement speed? and when you say "Go over maximum speed cap" is that after the spell was cast? Because if it is, then how does he go higher than max movement speed? And if it's not, then... the spell doesn't make sense!

Maybe you need to clarify his ult a bit.

Otherwise, well done!

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 9, 2015 5:31pm | Report
Q: Too strong, simply too strong. But the duration make up for it tho.

W: Need buff. Great concept bit need buff.

E: Like what sofa said, neat!

R: Skewer
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » January 9, 2015 6:12pm | Report
Unscathed, you're literally summarizing what I said... :P

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 9, 2015 6:20pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Unscathed, you're literally summarizing what I said... :P

Deal with it 7⃣👻🐍
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » January 9, 2015 10:49pm | Report
Okay, I think I need to clear it up for both of you, sorry for not explaining well enough in the actual post:

First of all, this hero is meant to have really strong skills, but having mana problem early on to slow him down (like Sven or Tiny). That is the reason of his low int and overall strength of his skills (and the cooldown really is not that low). About his base damage, I'm thinking around 60 with 1.7 BAT (basically standard hero BAT and slightly higher than average base damage).

The Q skill is NOT purge, it is dispel. The difference is that it does not slows the enemy per se, and it is that much of a difference. In Fortune's End it literally stops all enemies in their track, while this skill does nothing to slow them down and needs to be in quite a short range. Also, 4 seconds for a silence is pretty weak, most silence lasts for 6 seconds, a whole 2 seconds difference from it and usually have far bigger/farther range. The amplification might be strong, but you need to note that the increased damage taken would only be Balthier's, meaning that all other damage won't increase, and in 4 seconds I doubt the number of damage he can give.

For the W, you are mistaken in thinking that this skill only affect one unit (I did write units, didn't I?) Let's count that now: say that he has the 450 movement speed that you said, while there are like 5 creeps right in front of him. This skill will slows all five of them (if hit properly in the cone, like Whirling Axes (Ranged)) and put them ALL into his damage. So it would be around 225 (from 325 move speed to 100) * 5, which is astounding amount of 1125, and 10% of it is 112.5 damage to Balthier. Now this is pretty huge, don't you think? Especially since the number of creeps and hero can actually go more than that, I even went so far as to lower the duration so it's not OP.

For the E... since all feedbacks have been positive I won't explain lol

Lastly, his ultimate: 3000 points speed is basically how fast he move, sort of like movement speed, yeah. For example, in Phantom Rush it is 800 speed and 3000 is Assassinate projectile. This skill, to be fair, IS sort of Skewer made really strong. He can go above maximum movement speed because of his W skill (I think you must have missed the part where it will give him 10% more damage AND movement speed), and based on the calculation I did above, it is pretty much well possible that he can actually pass the speed limit, right?

Anyway, thanks for the both of you to comment :D
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 10, 2015 5:05pm | Report
1800 range skewer is no joke man. Its like Enchant Remnant + Boulder Smash FOR THE WHOLE ENEMY TEAM WELL AT LEAST SKEWER ISNT THAT LONG
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » January 11, 2015 3:03am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

1800 range skewer is no joke man. Its like Enchant Remnant + Boulder Smash FOR THE WHOLE ENEMY TEAM WELL AT LEAST SKEWER ISNT THAT LONG

Well, please do note that Skewer is 1200 range, meaning that at level 7, maxed level Skewer is longer that this skill. The cost of this skill is multiple than that of Skewer, as well as the cooldown. I don't see how you can get the whole enemy team into it except if they all are freaking badly positioned (I mean, the width is only 150, whereas Skewer is like 125). This skill is also an ultimate skill, if I nerf it so badly that it is on par with Skewer don't you think it defeats the purpose?
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 11, 2015 3:53am | Report
I see then so how would you lane him? Whats the position?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » January 11, 2015 4:06am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

I see then so how would you lane him? Whats the position?

He is meant to be a semi-carry that is really strong at chasing and roaming because of his high movement speed and slows, as well as the capability to quickly burst down enemies. I intend him to be played in mid-lane, asserting dominance with the passive splash on last hits to quickly push the creep wave and winning the runes. As soon as he gets appropriate rune, he is supposed to be ganking and with him being level 6 early he should be able to quickly kill later threats in enemy team. Being in mid, Bottle will also be a staple, helping him solves his mana problem early on.
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved