Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

When to step away from guides

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » When to step away from guides 15 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » October 4, 2013 9:26am | Report
No problem, that's what a lot of us are here for.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iRyRy » October 4, 2013 9:32am | Report
Do you mind if i add you on steam

iRyRy

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » October 4, 2013 9:35am | Report
Sure go ahead, you won't see much of me on it though. Right now I've just finished up playing the end of season 3 for League of Legends, and am avidly playing Smite. It should be about a week or two until I play Dota2 often.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PiNG- » October 16, 2013 12:39am | Report
Almost every build for every hero has a bread and butter build that you follow until maybe.. level 3 and depending on what you require you'll level up accordingly and buy items according to your current situation and how the future may be for you.

I have a friend who off lanes with timbersaw and he doesn't get much farm, so be basically goes full sustain to get exp and try to last hit with auto attacks or skills since he does pure damage. He maxs out the grapple after the reactive armor and adding one point into the whirling death. It's proven to work for him but hes not as viable early game. Once he reaches about maybe level 12-16 theres a curve in his gameplay since hes able to dish our some damage and help in team battles. But say if you're playing middle and you're going to gank, you would probably max our the hook then the whirling death since you'd want to be able to spam your hook as much as possible to get closer to the target.

TL;DR it all really depends on what lane you want to go to and the hero match up for that lane. You kind of essentially already know whos going where when you understand the fundamentals of each hero.

PiNG-

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Tyerker » October 28, 2013 10:41am | Report
Sando wrote:

Over time you'll get a better appreciation of WHY you're buying that item or levelling that skill on that hero at that time, instead of just doing it because that's what the guide says. Once you're more comfortable with the WHYS you can start adjusting things on the fly and see how you get on. As Hades said, try playing some games without the guides and see how you get on.

This is what happened to me. I started to see things like "this character needs a lot of agility" or "this character does really well with a disable item".

The harder thing to learn, which really has to be trial and error, is something like "this guy has no armor, so even though he has 1800 HP he is still squishy" or something like that.

Usually you can tell that if you have a right clicker, you want to go for damage and/or attack speed.
If you have a nuker, you want mana regen and probably some armor / hp boosts.
If you have a support, you want Mekansm and wards
If you have a slow melee hero, think about Orb of Venom early
If you are squishy and have high damage and/or attack speed, you probably want lifesteal.

As far as order of abilities, you usually want to get a damaging active ability at level 1 (usually, not 100% of the time). I usually like to max out passives first, but honestly every hero is different.

Play a few Single Draft games and force yourself to learn new heroes.

Tyerker

Notable (2)
Steam: Tyerker

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved