Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Supports... Halp!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Supports... Halp! 16 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 1, 2014 11:12am | Report
Okay, so I've been playing lots of support recently CM mostly. And every time I play I suck. I die really early on and keep dying constantly throughout the whole game. Teamates nag about how bad I'm doing yadda yadda. I could try carry or something else but I really don't think I'd be any good. Any tips on how not to die would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 1, 2014 11:37am | Report
It all comes down to positioning, the biggest problem most people make is that they commit too hard to a fight, and often even rightclick enemies during a fight.

If you have used all your spells then most of the time you wont add anything to thenfight. So just get out of there, use nova and frostbite and get out of there if you cant use freezing field.
Try to stay a little bit in range so you can use your spells again when they are off cooldown.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » July 1, 2014 3:22pm | Report
CM is one of the more difficults to play - slow, squishy, weak attack. As timmy said, your positioning has to be spot on or you die a lot. You might want to try a different hero while you're learning - more hp and movement makes it a bit more forgiving. What particular attracts you to playing CM? There are plenty of other, similar heroes who you could try:

- Ogre Magi, the melee CM, stun, slow, buffs, great armour and stats.
- Jakiro, hell of a lot tanker, also requires positioning skills.
- Lion, great learner support - easy mana regen, good reliable stuns and a nice nuke
- Vengeful Spirit, good stun, interesting ult and a fair bit tougher.

Personally, I always recommend Lion to new support players - he's easy to use, but there's enough depth there to master him. Minimal mana problems, minimal item needs, good stuns, big blasty ult.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 1, 2014 4:09pm | Report
Thanks. And tbh Crystal Maiden was my first ever hero to play. Also was the first hero I played on any MOBA. (as dota was my first one) I just like her, cool ult (if a little hard to position) good lockdown and nice AOE. I have however been playing some Lina since and has been going better. I would like to get better at cm however as she is my favourite :)

I haven't played much Lion at all, so maybe I should have a go. Warlock seems alright too, but I struggle to control the ult.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 1, 2014 4:18pm | Report
I was going to recommend Warlock. basically, you Fatal Bond them, hit ulti on as many people as possible, channel Upheavel, and while you're channelling, you control golem. It's not that difficult, tbh.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » July 1, 2014 4:19pm | Report
And yes, lion is pretty good, you don't need anything, and you can get the satisfaction of kills with Finger of Death

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » July 1, 2014 4:24pm | Report
Try Venomancer support as well. With your all-powerful wards, you can push the lane or provide vision to scout. PROVIDE VISION MAN, is there anything more important than vision?

Oh, and he has a 50% slow at level 1 that pretty much lasts for more than 10 seconds. And a ridiculous harass with his auto-attacks. And an ultimate that does **** tons of damage to many enemies (non-fatal damage, though).

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » July 2, 2014 3:14am | Report
I personally like Ancient Apparition. Good shutdown, good damage, awesome ult for a support. He's also great in the sense that you don't have to get way up close to fights. I usually hide behind a tree most of the laning phase.

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » July 2, 2014 4:11am | Report
AA can be great, i have over 3 kda with the guy, not much of a wr though, bad teams happens to us all.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » July 2, 2014 4:22am | Report
You should definitely try out Lion then - he's somewhere between Lina and Crystal Maiden in terms of abilities, and you'll learn to love Mana Drain.

My advice would be to try out some other supports for a while and come back to CM later on - the basic positioning and skillsets are the same, but you have to be very precise with her, and get good at reading what's going to happen ahead of time.

Basically you need to be close enough that you can land your stun/slow as required, but far enough away that you can retreat or avoid being killed. Her ult is basically suicide in a full on team fight unless your team has good AOE lockdown like Black Hole or Reverse Polarity - it can also get you kills in situations where enemies are committed, but don't have a stun or enough damage to break your channelling. Remember to grab extra farm/xp by using Frostbite on big jungle creeps.

She's really not an easy hero to play though - and especially in pubs people see you as an easy kill and will go out of their way just to pad their stats.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved