Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New players: I need your help please!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New players: I need your help please! 9 posts - page 1 of 1

Poll Question:

What is the most effective method of teaching DotA?
Watching VoD's
Watching you cast your other player's replays
Watching you cast your own replays
Reading a written guide
Nothing beats a "one on one" coaching session
Other (Please specify in a post)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AngeloBangelo » January 8, 2014 12:11am | Report
Hi!

My name is Angelo. I've coached a lot of players that are new to DotA with a fair amount of success. The only problem that I've run into is that "one on one" coaching is very time consuming. It's much more time efficient if I make something, and people can refer back to it constantly.

So I'd love some feedback from new players. As you've developed your abilities in DotA, what do you feel has contributed to the majority of your success? I realize that most of this game is going to be spent gaining experience (Super duper pun!... Because... You level...?) in game, and just general stuff like positioning and timing everything.

So I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to cast a vote in the poll, and post a bit about how you've grown in skill as a DotA player. Here's a bit about each option if you're unfamiliar:

1. Watching VoD's: A VoD is basically just myself recording while I play. You hear the Skype call and watch from a first person perpective. Here's an example from some random tournament a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tH7lu4NSo

2. Watching you cast your other player's replays: Basically exactly what the name implies. I cast a replay submitted by another poster. Normally of them. It can be low tier or high tier. I commentate on the game from drafts, items, positioning, warding, etc... Here's an example of a low tier and a high tier:

Low tier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXeRi5B-Ms

High tier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1xSZqS8Jc

3. Watching you cast your own replays: Same as above, but I cast my own games. Here are examples of shorter videos that I tried, with a more concentrated amount of information in a shorter period of time. The first one is "Winning your lane" and the second video is "How to tri lane"

Winning your lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHKVvInyQ6k

How to tri lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDiX6_ssb8

4. Reading a written guide: I've read some really good guides and they helped me out significantly. I personally learn more from replays and casts, but I'm curious if that's the norm.

5. Nothing beats "one on one" coaching: The most inconvenient for me, but if it's what must be done then I shall man up and spend the extra time. FOR THE COMMUNITY!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to some input.

AngeloBangelo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (50)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 8, 2014 1:29am | Report
THOU SHALT BE BLEST BY LORD GABEN.
Lol.
hi angelo.
heard a lot about ya.You really should do the one on one thing. its nice.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 8, 2014 1:32am | Report
you know a better way would be to create a set of VoD's and then upload it on youtube

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yasutsuna » January 8, 2014 2:07am | Report
Although I have left the new player category some time ago, I realize that letting new learners comment on their/others video seems to be working quite efficiently. There was two/three times when I posted one of my replays as a new player to them and tell them to write me a report. Interestingly, they point out the mistakes of the players in the video and they too, try no to repeat (although they do from time to time, but hey, nobody's perfect).

While Reading a guide might be good, it could be one of the most un-efficient way among all. Depending on the user itself, some like a wall of text and some like pictures. Some might get bored of the wall of text and lose concentration, basically not learning anything once that happens. But this is still good, as it offers alternatives and sometimes, allow others to think why the guides say yes to certain items and whether they can use it or not.

I like the one-on-one coaching as you can generally keep an eye and watch your trainee as they go along, as long as you don't spoonfeed them. While it is time-consuming, this is the most efficient among them all.

Yasutsuna
<Veteran>

Memorable (51)
Steam: Yasutsuna
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 8, 2014 2:29am | Report
I think it's one of those annoying "it depends" answers :)

Each method has it's advantages:

- Your VOD games, give a "live" match situation, insight into your thinking at the time rather than an analysis later on. As useful as analysis is, you've got to be more instinctive when playing.

- Casting other people's games gives people more analysis, and also highlights common mistakes and "shoulda done this instead". It's useful, but tends to be a bit situational to the heroes/game in hand.

- Somewhere between the two, useful, more general than the other two, so especially useful for beginners. For more intermediate players bit limited by the heroes involved.

- Written Guides. Tend to be good for hitting all of the relevant points/detail as there's time to consider when writing + feedback. However, much more theoretical and less practical.

- One on One coaching. Yeah, it's very good as it's specific to the player and they get to ask questions and get their specific problems looked at. But very time consuming, especially if you're covering the basics over and over.

So yeah, that probably didn't help narrow it down :). I think the more "resources" you can provide that cover the basics, the better. People could work their way through specific lessons using a variety of VODs/Guides/etc (whatever suits them), and then maybe you could have a 1-2-1 session afterwards where you can diagnose issues and discuss particular questions. It should save the most time consuming bit for when it will be most helpful. I know it's a bit tough, but personally I don't think people should need a 1-2-1 session to help them pick up the basics of stuff like pulling, bit lazy really.

Anything you can do to get beginners to help/teach each other is massively useful too (I work in education) it not only saves time, but teaching others is actually the best way of learning. As suggested, maybe find a game and watch everyone to watch it and note down particular mistakes / strong plays etc. They can compare and contrast with each other and your thoughts.

My 2c.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 8, 2014 3:36am | Report

1. Watching VoD's: A VoD is basically just myself recording while I play. You hear the Skype call and watch from a first person perpective.

Imma vote for this, your VoDs tend to be funny as well as insightful (especially the one where your Team stomps Pu12e's Team - "Spirit Breaker Respect Ban!")

2. Watching you cast your other player's replays: Basically exactly what the name implies. I cast a replay submitted by another poster. Normally of them. It can be low tier or high tier. I commentate on the game from drafts, items, positioning, warding, etc...

I suppose this could be slightly more useful than the VoDs to an individual user, but not sure if its as useful to a wider range of learners.

3. Watching you cast your own replays: Same as above, but I cast my own games. Here are examples of shorter videos that I tried, with a more concentrated amount of information in a shorter period of time. The first one is "Winning your lane" and the second video is "How to tri lane"

Perhaps try combining this with #1, if you have some sort of video editing software, you can always try adding some commentary of keys points over your in-game chat, e.g. "AngeloBangelo's Reflections #3 - Do NOT go to deward alone when there is a Nature's Prophet ready to Teleport in and Dagon you!"

4. Reading a written guide: I've read some really good guides and they helped me out significantly. I personally learn more from replays and casts, but I'm curious if that's the norm.

This is the most useful for explaining important concepts in-depth, like why you don't build certain Items on certain Heroes, why you place a Ward here, etc. but yeah, inferior to the VoDs <3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mr. Nuke » January 8, 2014 5:45am | Report
I think the first 3 are the best. Xyrus' suggestion is pretty good, maybe pick key points (teamfight etc.) and show the replay with skype chat, then go back over them and do an analysis. Or do separate videos (one live, one analysis) and link them across to each other via annotations.
Bristleback - Making chasers kill themselves since 28/3/2013

Smuggels wrote:

the giant hamster is revived by Drow the dog using the power of the best pie in the world.
the daughter who was beaten now is a the ultimate fighter after training for years since she never wants to be beaten again, she learns all forms of killing and martial arts and is now an unstoppable machine, she teams up with drow the dog and rides the giant hamster into battle against the dark lord Gabe Vovlo, crushing his Steam empire and freeing all the slaves under steam sales control.

Mr. Nuke

Notable (3)
Steam: Mr. Crit
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by chal3oye » January 20, 2014 11:39pm | Report
your VoDs tend to be funny as well as insightful (especially the one where your Team stomps Pu12e's Team -

chal3oye

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 22, 2014 8:53am | Report
id go with the "casting" things. You can immediately point out all the choices players make and maybe even give some insight on it. The "one-on-one session" seems to be the worst teaching method imo, as it just shows up the skillgap without giving any input to your "students".... who mostly dont even know, why they suck to begin with.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved