Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Nervous to play againt other people

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Nervous to play againt other people 18 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sprout » September 26, 2013 1:17pm | Report
I was just as anxious when I started out (still sort of am!), so I just played tons and tons of co-op bot matches, trying out each hero at least once, which gave me an ok understanding of how each hero works.

I think that's something anyone can do however as you said it won't improve your play versus real people however I think it's far less of a leap if you know what you're doing to learning what other people are doing and what to do against it.

I wish you good luck man, dota 2 can be a harsh game but it's probably one of the most fun ones I've ever played.

Sprout

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BenKravitz » September 28, 2013 3:12pm | Report
I feel your pain. If you're looking for intelligent conversation you should look elsewhere, unfortunately.

If you feel like it you can add me on Steam and we can play sometime. I live in northern Europe, so it may depend on your time zone.
May warn you though, Dota2 is my first moba experience ever, so yes I do still suck most of the time ;)

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BenKravitz/

BenKravitz

Steam: BenKravitz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » September 29, 2013 8:28am | Report
Kraxer wrote:

Thats my main problem I have no friends that play this, they play L.O.L or W.O.W, I tried L.O.L., but, its not as envolved and fun as dota 2, the characters are like cheap rip offs of these.

What is the best way to get friends on here?

My main issue is times I can play, I still work, and I have stage 4 cancer and between work and my chemo and other medical stuff, I really have no set schedule, so that might be a issue with people. and make it harder to get people to play with.

anyway, thanks All, for the advice.

And I know I need to learn all the characters to learn what they do, but is it better to sick with 1 or 2 hero's to be as good as you can get, or play randmon and be able to play them, all, So for I love Witch Doctor, Windrunner, OmniKnight, and Shadow Shaman, and Drow, and Zeus, Is this enough, or to many to keep playing?

Take it all in stride, ironically when you start winning it'll feel better with all the trash talk you deal with getting there, we've all experienced it, nobody starts out pro :)

For new dota players this site has a plethora of articles to get you off the ground and running, there is also a fantastic article on purge gamers here:
http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.UkhFRY29LCQ

It sounds ****-ish but the article has a solid amount of info to point you in the right direction when you're starting, also join a guild ask questions. Add me on steam as well I'm not a great player but I have a decent understanding of the game and will happily help get ya going probably in a more informative session in a custom game to show you stuff.
My steam ID is [RZA]Sulaxrox
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by 0128 » January 1, 2014 11:15am | Report
Kraxer wrote:

Thats my main problem I have no friends that play this, they play L.O.L or W.O.W, I tried L.O.L., but, its not as envolved and fun as dota 2, the characters are like cheap rip offs of these.

My main issue is times I can play, I still work, and I have stage 4 cancer and between work and my chemo and other medical stuff, I really have no set schedule, so that might be a issue with people. and make it harder to get people to play with.

And I know I need to learn all the characters to learn what they do, but is it better to sick with 1 or 2 hero's to be as good as you can get, or play randmon and be able to play them, all, So for I love Witch Doctor, Windrunner, OmniKnight, and Shadow Shaman, and Drow, and Zeus, Is this enough, or to many to keep playing?

hey ,I had such problems when I started to play Dota 2 , I remember in my first match , Pudge killed me several times and got very powerful , everybody blamed me ... and we lost that game really bad.
my main problem is exactly your main problem , I dont have friends to play dota 2 with.
but my ID is ' have you seen a viper ?! '
don't forget to write ' ?! '
what's your ID ?
I will be glad to have a friend.

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » January 1, 2014 11:26am | Report
If I had to start playing Dota now, I guess I wouldn't even try after 1 game. Just played 5 low prio matches, where you can't go ranked, only public matchmaking, and I felt like playing with 9 mindless russian zombies. I know your pain, find 3-4 people to play with and try to get to ranked matchmaking asap, because public matchmaking is even worse than it were before.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by shroy » January 1, 2014 12:09pm | Report
i am starting to remember my starting days when there was only the dk tutorial which i think taught nothing.....
oh dont worry about reports that much everyone gets reported in there first few games(i once spent 7 days in low priority on my old id:-)...
just be thick skinned and get around to lvl 10 or so

shroy

Steam: ShauRya
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » January 1, 2014 5:53pm | Report
Kraxer wrote:

I have the same problem with my RL friends, they prefer LoL over Dota and they don't want to be in that newb position again. You can add me if you want and we'll play some or if you want advice/overhead on how you're performing I can be the coach in your games.

Steamid: Nubtrain (Please msg me your username before you add me on Steam!!!)

Stick with a few heroes then play enough games (I'll recommend about 20+ games in your case) so you can have a good understanding of each heroes' strength and weaknesses. Alternate between 10 heroes would be ideal IMO; maybe two heroes in each basic catagory, like 2 semi/hard carry roles, 2 semi/hard support roles, 2 mid laners and 2 offlanes. After your done playing about 30 or more so games with whatever hero, try a new one and you'll eventually have a good idea on how to play with or against all heroes.

There's no problem if you play heroes you've never played before to have a grasp on how they work and then go back to playing whatever you like. I can play all heroes but obviously not to an extent with some of my preferred heroes like Shadow Fiend, Clockwerk or Crystal Maiden. However, it's best to have a wide range of heroes you're good at to be a versatile player but also be able to specialize in a few specific heroes like Invoker for example.

EDIT:

What a lot of players do is play what's trending in pro level competitive games which in itself isn't bad. However if you follow item builds without proper context to why you build this way then you'll have a hard time improving. So if you have time, watch professional level games and start thinking why did they do this or that so you don't be a sheep and follow whatever other people are doing.

First build a solid foundation on the basics before you do any advanced stuff. This applies to anything in life.

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wackyshadow » January 2, 2014 12:16pm | Report
If you want to make friends, just type away. Try not to be shy and just talk to other people. Before you know, you will be running a 5 man stack. I agree with co-op bot idea. That is how i started. people are less likely to rage and blame you for everything since it is usually really easy. It also a good way to make some friends while playing the game. I think your first goal is to learn a few heroes first before jumping into another game. And don't make that rookie mistake by buying a Divine Rapier. People will really rage if you lose a game when you are actually winning. If you are losing then it can't hurt.
May Dota be forever part of your life.

wackyshadow

Notable (1)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved