Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to use channeling!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » How to use channeling! 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Affluenza » January 14, 2013 6:33am | Report
Hello,

I started playing DOTA 2 about a month ago and I just recently discovered that some heroes have channeling abilities. The thing is I don't actually know how they work...like for example Alchemist's "Unstable Concoction" or The Witch Doctor's "Death Ward"

Am I supposed to press the skill key e.g. W, left click/hold on enemy heroes?

When I try this with the Witch Doctor his Ward doesn't do anything it just sits there and the channeling bar counts down 7 seconds or something but I see nothing happening...O_o

So can someone explain to me the channeling mechanics please

Thanks!

Affluenza

Steam: mr_affluenza
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperNova » January 14, 2013 7:14am | Report
Post a video, it sounds to me like you have a bug if the channeling bar counts down but nothing happens. Are you sure you are not getting stunned or anything?

SuperNova

Notable (16)
Steam: BaconBorn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » January 14, 2013 7:42am | Report
The Death Ward is a ward that you place on the ground and attacks nearby enemy heroes. If you get stunned, the channeling will get interrupted and the ward will go away.

Unstable Concoction isn't really a channeling, it just charges in you until you throw it. The more you hold it, the harder it hits when you throw it. However, if you don't throw it, it'll explode on you and stun you and deal damage.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperNova » January 14, 2013 7:59am | Report
If you want Affluenza, I could make a quick vid explaining it.

SuperNova

Notable (16)
Steam: BaconBorn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Affluenza » January 14, 2013 8:39am | Report
That is very kind of you sir but no need... :)

So is this right. I activate my Ulti by pressing (R) and hold left click...? Yes?

Thanks

Affluenza

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ScurvyCur » January 14, 2013 11:53am | Report
No need to hold down any buttons. Just click where you want your ward to go, then avoid taking any actions like moving, casting, attacking etc. during the channel duration. You can still be dropped out of your channel by being stunned, though, and I'm fairly sure getting silenced will interrupt channeled spells, though not channeled items like TP scrolls.

As an aside, there's one spell that I think deserves special mention when it comes to channeling, since a lot of new players have trouble with it: Sand King's epicenter. This is a spell with a 2 second channel during which nothing happens. The spell only kicks in when the channel is done, at which point, you can move, cast, attack, whatever you like while the damage pulses are going off around you.

ScurvyCur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Affluenza » January 14, 2013 7:15pm | Report
Thank you very much. :)

Affluenza

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » January 15, 2013 7:15pm | Report
For Alchemist his Unstable Concoction is a count-down timer type of spell, you can walk and talk but you have to release the stun before it reaches 0 or you'll stun yourself. Witch Doctor's Death Ward is channeled and you have to stand still for it to work

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AkiTsubasa » January 20, 2013 10:01pm | Report
another point, alchemist skill can throw at 2.0 second, that is max out already

AkiTsubasa

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved