Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help a LOL player to choose some heroes to try

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Help a LOL player to choose some heroes to try 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Davidleo » January 31, 2014 7:27am | Report
Hi guys. I started playing DOTA a week ago, and I went through the tutorial and had some bot games. I have been playing LOL for a while and I want to try DOTA. But there are so many heroes to choose from so I would **** your help choosing some to try.

So in LOL i play mainly ADC..So basicaly late game ranged heroes who do a lot of damage by Autoatacking. I have no problem last hitting with ranged heroes. My favorite champion is Varus, but I also play kogmaw, twitch and ashe. Mobility is not as important to me as Damage or utility. I apreciate your help

Davidleo

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 31, 2014 7:42am | Report
step one:forget you are good at last hitting.you are not.
step two:practice to last hit in hard difficulty.
step three:resist from picking heroes which are easy (looking at you Sniper/ Drow Ranger/ Riki)because they are too easy to counter.play Mirana/ Earthshaker/ Crystal Maiden or something.
step four:understand the mechanism's of various common pubstomper heroes( Riki Drow Ranger Ursa Zeus {to some extent} )
step 5:This ain't LoL boy.disrespect and face something worse than a ban.LOW PRIORITY.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Davidleo » January 31, 2014 8:19am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

step one:forget you are good at last hitting.you are not.
step two:practice to last hit in hard difficulty.

What are good last hit goals for 10 and 20 min mark? Im usually getting just shy to 60 creeps at 10 min mark when I get mid. When going in a duo lane is vevry hard because you are always competing with your lane partner. I thought 55 creeps at 10 with around 10 games only wasnt that bad, but i would like to know some good goal of Last hits to try to get.

Davidleo

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 31, 2014 8:50am | Report
55~ in about 10 minutes when you carry (safe lane).
mid lane,it depends on what you choose to do.(either gank of farm/push)
animation cancelling is vital in last hitting.

spam the "S" key and right click the target you want to last hit at the same time, release the "S" key when it's time to last hit and keep right clicking cause sometimes if you don't your character may accidentally choose a new target.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 31, 2014 9:38am | Report
Welcome, the best late game ranged hero is probably Medusa, who also has good team fight. However, she's squishy as hell early on and needs a lot of farm to be effective. Sniper can also be played a ranged hard carry, but again squishy and slow. Drow Ranger is popular at lower levels but is countered effectively higher up.

None of these gets much play in higher level games, so you might want to look at other options like Razor, Gyrocopter or Troll Warlord who have more options and midgame presence. You could even look at Weaver, but he requires good reflexes.

Remember in DOTA that you need to be looking to deny your own creeps as well as last hit, but at least at any reasonable standard of play your lane partner(s) won't be looking to take last hits from their carry.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 31, 2014 11:09am | Report
I just want to say that the "AD" carry in DOTA is not necesarely Ranged, so you could take a look at Dragon Knight, Sven or even Tiny. (since you said that you value damage over almost anything else, I recon that you'll enjoy playing with the last 2).

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Manofchalk » January 31, 2014 2:55pm | Report
Davidleo wrote:
When going in a duo lane is vevry hard because you are always competing with your lane partner.

Quite simply, there shouldn't be competition between you for last hits. It depends on your role in the team and where you sit on the farm order, but one of you should concede the majority of last hits to the other.
A typical safelane will comprise of a hard carry and a lane support. The hard carry gets most of the farm in lane, as they need that gold to become effective. The supports job is to protect the carry and their farm, while also harassing the other team when they attempt to farm or harass the carry. They pick up gold through stacking and pulling, and getting hits when the carry wouldnt be able too.

This may be a bit optimistic for your level of matchmaking but that's the generally accepted safelane dynamic. So figure out which one of you should be getting the farm (it may not be you) and act accordingly. If the Crystal Maiden is stealing all your last hits tell them not too. At which point youl probably be yelled at over team chat, explaining that she needs her Mask of Madness, so just let her last hit, you noob Chaos Knight.
:P
"Windranger" is not how you spell Windrunner.

Manofchalk

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 31, 2014 3:55pm | Report
Davidleo wrote:

So in LOL i play mainly ADC..So basicaly late game ranged heroes who do a lot of damage by Autoatacking. I have no problem last hitting with ranged heroes. My favorite champion is Varus, but I also play kogmaw, twitch and ashe. Mobility is not as important to me as Damage or utility. I apreciate your help

Hmm...if you're Solo Queueing, don't expect adequate Support to be able to Farm enough for the Late Game, try some Ranged Heroes that come online faster but still pack a punch.

If you've got some freinds to play with, then you can try the 7 Carries that can pack a decent-great Punch in the Late Game...or can at least Split-Push effectively:-
Outworld Devourer

Persoanlly though, I would recommend starting with Mid-Game Heroes if you don't want to Support, you won't have to spend 30 minutes ( Medusa is slow) Farming before you start having fun. For example:-

A good Queen of Pain can start destroying Teams once she hits Lvl6, and with Damage Items, *can* put out some serious Right-Click Damage. She's relatively hard to counter, especially in lower-tier Pubs. Huskar is a bit easier to get into, if you can manage his HP properly. The rest are quite fun to play, and Windranger and Mirana can be Laned practically anywhere, even as Supports or Roaming Gankers.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Davidleo » January 31, 2014 10:11pm | Report
Thanks very much to all. I played Medusa, And mirana and both are quite fun. I will keep trying other champs. :)

Davidleo

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 1, 2014 2:38am | Report
Davidleo wrote:

What are good last hit goals for 10 and 20 min mark? Im usually getting just shy to 60 creeps at 10 min mark when I get mid. When going in a duo lane is vevry hard because you are always competing with your lane partner. I thought 55 creeps at 10 with around 10 games only wasnt that bad, but i would like to know some good goal of Last hits to try to get.

After 9:30, 82 Creeps will have spawned, so 60 is good for a Farming Mid/Safe Laner. As for 20, even as a Carry, you'll probably want to be moving around and Pushing at this point, so hard to say.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved