Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Changing from LoL into Dota - Problem with Support

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Changing from LoL into Dota - Problem with Support 17 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 9:24am | Report
Quoted:

okay, thanks for the awesome help guys!

No problem, good luck out there in the world of DotA 2.

If you need more help, feel free to ask us! :)
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Oerl » October 22, 2012 10:11am | Report
urm another question guys, i don't really understand all these game modes. played my first match against players and it was single draft or so? and i could pick only 3 heroes, what is this, how is this aaaand what are the other modes? for example captains mode :/?

Oerl

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 10:18am | Report
Quoted:

urm another question guys, i don't really understand all these game modes. played my first match against players and it was single draft or so? and i could pick only 3 heroes, what is this, how is this aaaand what are the other modes? for example captains mode :/?

All Pick - Everyone can pick any hero
All Random - Everyone receives a random hero ( not yet in the matchmaking system )
Single Draft - Everyone receives 1 random intelligence hero 1 random strength hero and 1 random agility hero you can pick from
Random Draft - The players have to chose from 20 heroes, first player of team one choses first, then the first two of the second team, then the next two of the first team, and so on, until everyone picked.
Captain's Mode - Here, The Captain makes five bans and five picks for his team, then the team choses what to play from the picks. It's something like Random Draft, it's kinda difficult to explain, but, if you want to learn this easier, you should play a match of Random Draft or Captain's Mode, or even easier without risking to lose a game, watch a professional match on YouTube. You can find many on joinDOTA's YouTube channel.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AkiTsubasa » January 20, 2013 10:46pm | Report
jungle is not same as LoL, in dota 2, if you are carry, you can jungle forever(if you can't gb)
but in LoL, after you got ur (that red and blue, sorry for forgot the name), you must gb, must! or not this will end with your team lose(if both team skill are balanced)
but in dota 2, you can fat than lane hero if you know how to farm and have a good jungle hero

AkiTsubasa

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mightycookie » January 21, 2013 8:03am | Report
also, something hades didn't mention was that in dota there are heroes that "roam" the map, getting kills, pulling and just pressuring other lanes. if you are gonna roam Bottle or Urn of Shadows are a must. also, carries dont necesarily buy tanky items. they get agility which makes them have a lot of armour late game. then they just get a bkb and people can only hit them not use spells. so they are petty string. although the new meta revolves around early pushing, so hard carries are not as common now, its usually pushers and semi carries.

mightycookie

Notable (5)
Steam: nohanmeza
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Funvee » February 10, 2013 8:23am | Report
You saying you want a caster with good mobility I would recommend playing Queen of Pain, a good thing to know is that the standard mid build for her includes a bottle rush so you can do that without having to worry about disagreeing with the guides.
Another option would be a Quas Wex Invoker with force staff and blink dagger but that may be a bit out of your skill level at the moment, which is a shame we could always use more skilled Invokers.
Lastly there is Puck who has some fun mechanics a great escape and also often builds a bottle.

Funvee

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Underseer » March 19, 2013 3:16pm | Report
The DotA suppoer role and League support role are very similar in their purpose. Where they differ is HOW they're played. As support, it's your job to guarantee that your carry will get a kill, or make it out alive. As you've probably noticed, there's no such thing as high mana regen early game. This requires you to play smart. You're always having to gauge whether or not casting that spell is worth it. Is it going to kill someone, get the kill for someone, stop them from getting a kill, or just slap them around a bit?

I'm not saying to NOT use your spells to harass, but do so at your own discretion. Sometimes, casting that one spell will drop your entire mana pool, forcing you to wait to regen your mana before you can even think of casting another spell (Tiny is a perfect example of this).

You must also know what the various items do, and when to purchase them. Does your team need a Mekanism (Most likely)? Should YOU be the one to build it, or would it be better on someone else? Things like that you tend to pick up yourself when playing the support role.

Knowing the various ways to influence creeps is a very good skill to learn, though not necessary for lower level games. Pulling minions and stacking camps can give you a much needed edge, while simultaneously hurting the enemy.

Prevent them from getting gold and experience, either through denying minions, pulling waves, or simply killing the enemy hero.

Be a major pain in the ***. Be a constant annoyance. Be that one eyelash that always pokes them in the eye, no matter how much they try to get rid of you. But remember that in order to be effective, you also have to live. Don't go into the middle of the lane and try to initiate a 1v2 situation. Your carry's life IS more important, but if you can get both of you out of a sticky situation instead of just one, then you did your job right.

Underseer

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved