Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Changing from LoL into Dota - Problem with Support

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Changing from LoL into Dota - Problem with Support 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Oerl » October 22, 2012 5:14am | Report
Hello my dear friends, I'm quite new to Dota, i played like 15 bot matches with friends without any coordination and so, because i noticed this game differs more to LoL than I thought! The no AP stuff and no GP5 items stuff is quite confusing to me so I just skip to my questiona.

1: Playing support and since you don't have any GP/5 items, what is your gold income then? Are you allowed to CS? Or is it needed to permanently kill the enemy heroes?
2: What metagame does Dota have? In LoL you normally have Top, Mid, Bot and Jungle but i heard its quite different in Dota. What are these compositions?
3: Is it common that carries buy much tanky stuff? I mean, because they get instagibbed if they don't.

Would be nice if someone has an answer for me :) Thanks!

Oerl

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 5:25am | Report
Welcome to DotA 2 and DOTAFire, enjoy your stay! :)

1. Your gold income usually comes from assists, assists aren't like in league of legends, here you must be around the killed enemy to gain the assist, you don't have to damage him. Also, there are items like Hand of Midas that can help, sacrificing a creep and giving you some good gold and experience.

2. Well, the compositions are really different, there are
  • duo lanes ( usually support + carry )
  • tri lanes / easy lane ( usually two supports + carry )
  • solo / suicide lane ( like in LoL )
  • jungler ( like in LoL )

3. Well, it's different.. a well-farmed carry is pretty tanky in late game, having a high level and good items giving him stats.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Oerl » October 22, 2012 5:37am | Report
hey, thanks! another question, how does the tower agro work in dota (2) ? because in LoL the tower atacks creeps until every creep around is dead or it atacks you if you atack the enemy champion under the tower. in dota it sort of randomly atacks me and i really get confused sometimes :(

and another important question: what hero to start as a newbie, when my personal preference is to have an easy farm access, mobility and being casterish? its just really difficult to farm with AA'S compared to LoL ;( and also i wanna know how you get sustain on lane, because in LoL I always have sort of spellvamp or lifesteal items/masteries and in dota all i've seen so far is lifereg items and not recommended lifesteal items :(

Oerl

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 5:45am | Report
Read this for tower aggro and this for the first hero play.

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Allegiance » October 22, 2012 6:30am | Report
if you want a spellcaster, who can farm pretty easy, I would recommend Dark Seer or Leshrac because they can kill creep waves really fast.
Another option would be Enigma or Chen cause they are jungling supports, but especially chen is not really easy to play because you need to micro many units.

for some early sustain get Healing Salve , Clarity or maybe a Bottle

Allegiance

Notable (9)
Steam: d4rkdest1ny
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Oerl » October 22, 2012 8:35am | Report
but is it really cost effective? the clarity potions? an AA would make you loose the effect of the potion, what means you have to be far away from your opponent for 30 (?) seconds. the bottle is a nice idea, i really prefer buying it every time, but when i read guides and people dont show it in items or say you dont buy it i try to do so even if im bound to get it :(

Oerl

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 8:37am | Report
Quoted:

but is it really cost effective? the clarity potions? an AA would make you loose the effect of the potion, what means you have to be far away from your opponent for 30 (?) seconds. the bottle is a nice idea, i really prefer buying it every time, but when i read guides and people dont show it in items or say you dont buy it i try to do so even if im bound to get it :(

Well, a Clarity is better, since it's only 50 gold, a Bottle isn't very good for a support, because the mid hero will most probably have a Bottle, and you must leave him get the runes.

Also, you can use Clarity on you or on a teammate, also, to avoid attacks, just stay a bit back, until you regenerate enough mana for your spells, you don't have to farm anyway.

Also, it's not a bad thing if you like Bottle, everyone has his own play style :)

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Allegiance » October 22, 2012 8:43am | Report
yeah the Bottle was just a possibilty for early sustain, but multiple bottles in one team aren't that useful, because theres just one rune to pick up at a time ;)

you definetaly should pick it up, if you want to gank/roam pretty much

Allegiance

Notable (9)
Steam: d4rkdest1ny
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 22, 2012 8:46am | Report
Also, keep in mind, a Bottle can be used by multiple teammates, as long as it has enough charges.

You can always receive the Bottle from a teammate to take a sip.

Also, if you ever search people to play with, or search a mentor, feel free to look around the forum, you could play with other beginners, or with more experienced players, it's your choice.

Also, if you're from Europe, I could help you in game with some tips. I'm saying Europe so there won't be any server problems or timezone.

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Oerl » October 22, 2012 9:12am | Report
okay, thanks for the awesome help guys!

Oerl

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved