Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Building a Hero Pool

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Building a Hero Pool 71 posts - page 2 of 8
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » February 9, 2015 12:18pm | Report
I enjoy just clicking the random button as soon as the game loads and just going with it - when I queue All Pick of course. I don't generally like to overthink my picks based on opponent's choices. That's something best left in a drafting game mode such as Captains Mode / Captains Draft generally as you get the additional time to consider it.

It has the benefit of letting you learn a huge pool of heroes to at least an acceptable level (so you understand their skills, if not truly how to play the hero), and it grants you a bit of extra gold to play with at the start.

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » February 22, 2015 5:39pm | Report
Sando wrote:

I'd probably recommend for carry the likes of Sven and Wraith King - relatively easy to use abilities, hit hard and are tanky enough to let you make some mistakes.

Personally, I'd avoid heroes who are very complex or require a lot of skill to play well, or need tons of micro/reflex. You can pick them up in due time, but now is more about learning the basics. Better to do a simple job reasonably well than something complicated badly.

I've played a fair bit in the last few weeks. I've more than doubled my games from 26 to 58, and have played about 10-15 extra heroes.

There are a few things that I've noticed in my efforts to build a "hero pool" - which have gone nowhere lately.

1. The more I play, the more I seemingly don't know. Each game comes with 10-15 "oh, THAT'S how you can link these heroes up" moments.

2. I randomed Sven the other day. Odd game, but he's so straightforward that (after a few dumb deaths) I wound up focusing more on positioning and timing instead of trying to land abilities. There's always someone that wants to hard carry, but he sure does make for a fool proof offlaner or support-to-semicarry.

3. Your statement in bold means so much.

4. I'm a horrible hard support - and I'm far worse than I ever thought I'd be. I do a good job of timing key spells in fights, but what I fail to do is synthesize the "utility" of a support (warding, counterwarding, pull/stack) with the "fighting aspect" of a support. It's hard to do in certain games, but I think it's more a product of my inability to form a winning game plan from the "5" role. I've been in 3-4 games out of 58 where I would say that our hard support wasn't an unmitigated disaster - so I'm not the only one that cannot play the "5".

I often start out OK. I'll set the first round or two of wards, avoid LHs, and apply some harass in the lane. Unfortunately, I'll then get into a psychological trap. I notice that I'm 2 levels down and am sitting on boots, wand, and bracer. My KDA ratio is so bad that I wonder if urinating on the keyboard will generate a better result. It is at THAT point when I'll start getting greedy and trying to teamfight at the expense of other key tasks - which causes people to get ganked and for our team to lose. Most people don't notice that their death is ENTIRELY ON ME, but I do and that makes playing the "5" such an awful experience.

5. My offlaning is often decent enough to not lose a game. I'm doing a good job of applying pressure and moving creep waves when I want them moved.

6. My semi-support play is encouraging considering my lack of experience. I think it's because I don't have to shoulder so much and have the ability to focus more on the fighting. People tend to be happier with my play as a "4" then as a "5".

Sooo, let's revisit this list (and watch as this blows up again in the next 50 games once I learn that I'm even worse than I was before):

(Note: I've removed a lot of heroes, and added definition to some roles)

1: I never get to hard-carry. Ever.
2: Tinker
Dual lane 3: Bristleback, Clockwerk, Timbersaw
Solo 3: Weaver, Batrider
Roaming 4: Vengeful Spirit, Lina
Transition-to-carry 4: Sven
5: This role terrifies me, but when needed I'll try a Dazzle or Keeper of the Light.

I would still like to add: 1, 2, jungler 4, and maybe a 5. I have a few offlaners that I can mess around with for now.

Anteater

Notable (1)
Steam: radium
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » February 22, 2015 5:54pm | Report
Another option for you could be Venomancer. He's a flexible hero that can support, offlane, mid or even safelane "carry" (more of a core though). He is a powerful pusher and nuker, and occasionally a right-clicker. He's very flexible, so you can pick him in most games.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » February 22, 2015 5:54pm | Report
Phantom Lancer sounds like everything you'd ever want

- **** ton of mind games with so many illusions. You can bait so hard not even funny. I've seen a FV use his chrome on my illusion once. Laughed so hard.
- Great Escape ( more mind games )
- Not dependent on his active skills, has a slight mana problem which can be fixed with RoA.
- Absolute joy to play. Really fun to watch a massive army of illusions ducking up people.
Mood of the Day

-_-

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » February 23, 2015 9:19am | Report
Blubbles wrote:

Phantom Lancer sounds like everything you'd ever want

- **** ton of mind games with so many illusions. You can bait so hard not even funny. I've seen a FV use his chrome on my illusion once. Laughed so hard.
- Great Escape ( more mind games )
- Not dependent on his active skills, has a slight mana problem which can be fixed with RoA.
- Absolute joy to play. Really fun to watch a massive army of illusions ducking up people.

I finally got the chance to play a carry last night (in a wacky Single Draft game where I drew Storm Spirit, Elder Titan, and Spectre). I did a good job of not dying (3 deaths in 48 mins), but I utterly sucked at last-hitting (150 LH - which is bad even though the lane conditions were poor). I played Spectre, who needs to come online much faster than 30-33' in. The other team never punished my tardiness.

I made better decisions as a hard carry than as I normally do as a solo mid.

Anteater

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » March 2, 2015 4:29pm | Report
Alright, this should be the 2nd or 3rd to last full update. Once I hit level 13 (at 9 now, I think), I should have something hammered out and will start doing some ranked matches (:P).

I've noticed that it's very important to not dwell on a bad first game when looking at a hero - and that giving some credence to the laning situation is also very important. First game with Slark was 0-11-1 - and the 2nd game was 17-6-10.

My most recent Weaver game is a great example of this: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1287008444

I'm not that good at this hero - it was actually the Pugna that put together a gem of a game. The two of us were able to win our safe lane easily - and he gave me the opportunity to win the game late.

Here's an example of the opposite: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1288077820

Most of my deaths were early failed ganks (I made some bad choices) where the Cent caught me out and made me pay for it. After that, I settled in and did OK enough in teamfights. My build sucks since I was lining the map with Sentry Wards - and in truth that was vital as it kept Riki out of order and allowed my own play to settle down while our carries got the job done. The stats are AWFUL - but I learned a lot about what you can and can't do when roaming. I went 2-0-12 after the 3-10-3 start.

Statistics can really lie sometimes. It's easy to like a hero when you're getting fed. It's hard to like a hero under bad conditions.

I'm really enjoying the approach that I've taken. By playing a wide array of heroes while my mind is still young, I'm giving myself the chance to become a balanced player. Strong games with the "not fussy" heroes may be a sign that I'm starting to play a little better Dota - but there is still an eternity to go. My CS is still lagging with around 30-38 in the first 10' (it's fine compared to the other team, but it's actually poor play). I need to do better if I'm going to carry or mid.

The only real problem to shuffling through heroes is that you're going to lay some eggs early on.

On topic:

1. I really like Brewmaster. Primal Split is a LOT of material for me to chew on and learn, but no other aspects of the hero are difficult at all. Not a hard hero to get the hang of - but the ceiling feels pretty massive. Right now, I'm only using R as an evade/escape around halfway through a teamfight (when I get one kill - and then get focused like the Hubble telescope).

2. Gave Gyrocopter a shot in a Single Draft - and I had a bit of fun with him. I had to offlane as we had a harder carry on the team. I was awful for 8 minutes, and then woke up and figured out the controls a bit. He comes on very nicely later in the game. Instant attack animation + Flak Cannon allows you to make up a deficit in CS if one arises.

3. Heroes that I don't want to see on the opposite side of my lane: Bristleback, Lich, Witch Doctor, Earthshaker

4. I might give Lich and a few of the other beginner heroes a chance. I myself have had some enjoyment out of Bristleback, but there are a number of other easy ones that I haven't even sniffed yet. Nothing is more hilarious than looking across the map and seeing two beginner heroes just wrecking an opposing lane that looked sexier and more destructive on paper.

Heroes I played in bot/online games and don't want to see again: Tidehunter, Sand King, Phantom Lancer

Heroes that I want to try online after testing in bot matches: Windranger, Naga Siren, Spectre

1: Gyrocopter
2: Tinker, Brewmaster
3: Weaver, Slark, Clockwerk, Batrider
4: Vengeful Spirit, Sven
5: Oracle, Keeper of the Light

Anteater

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 2, 2015 6:26pm | Report
Don't go ranked yet. You'll rank so low, it's not even funny. Then you'll be dissapointed and stuck in low MMR.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 2, 2015 6:56pm | Report
yea its better to wait and improve more before you go ranked. the biggest flaw with it is that you onlt get points for winning, it doesnt matter how you have played. so it doesnt go up naturally along with your normal improvement in the game.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Anteater » March 2, 2015 7:19pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Don't go ranked yet. You'll rank so low, it's not even funny. Then you'll be dissapointed and stuck in low MMR.

A few things:

1. Define low MMR. Are we talking around 1 - 1.5k - what a lot of people call "the gutter"?

2. I've read about how some people get slotted at around 1.2k - and then they have to spend 6-8 months just to get to 2k.

3. I heard how the "calibrated" MMR is based on the first 10 games that you play - and then is adjusted from there. Do unranked matches factor into the initial MMR?

I'm a decent ways away anyhow - I'll go when I'm comfortable (which isn't now).

I don't mind a "lower than expected" MMR - but I understand that you're speaking from experience here. I've also been told horror stories from my friends (most in the mid 3k area) about how low MMR games often lack the basic fundamentals.

I'll take your advice and hold for a bit (and not jump right at 13).

Anteater

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » March 2, 2015 7:36pm | Report
Thanks for posting the update, interesting to hear where you're up to.

And yeah, definitely don't jump in ranked too soon. Ranked MMR is somewhat based on your existing non-ranked MMR, then your calibration games. It will take you a LONG time to get up your MMR in ranked unless you're substantially better than those around you.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved