Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Dota Paradox

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Dota Paradox 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » April 6, 2015 5:47am | Report
I get into a match and say "Hey guys I'm going to play hard carry". Guess what they do. They pick carries. Why do I want to play hard carry? Honestly it's my favorite position, and I don;t trust the rest of these guy with carrying me. Also I don't trust them to support me. How does this work? How do I dig out of MMR trenches?

I really want to be able to trust them but it seems every time I trust my team they don;t get the stuff done and I keep thinking "YOU HAD ONE JOB"
Mood of the Day

O_O

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » April 6, 2015 1:02pm | Report
Just pick a farmer yourself if you're set on playing one. When your team inevitably goes to 4 man mid, take the lane and farm.

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 6, 2015 2:05pm | Report
Blubbles wrote:

How do I dig out of MMR trenches?

If you're at the level where people pick 5 hard carries against 5 hard carries, pick Omniknight every game, press R, win game.
Have you seen the SirActionSlacks video?
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Swixcap » April 6, 2015 2:13pm | Report
In short, three tips:
  • Pick a carry who can farm relatively safely without wards or space - ones that have good escape and/or solo kill potential. Juggernaut, Void and AM comes to mind. (Nothing stops you from buying wards yourself btw)
  • If you know better, tell your team what to do! They might not always listen, but it will help. In general, communication is good.
  • Realize that if you are better than your MMR rating, you will climb. That's how the system works. There is no secret or trick to climbing, and if you do without deserving so, you will fall right back down. Focus on getting better, not higher MMR.
This is my signature. This is my dotabuff.

Swixcap

Notable (7)
Steam: Cube
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 6, 2015 3:00pm | Report
Swixcap wrote:

In short, three tips:
  • Pick a carry who can farm relatively safely without wards or space - ones that have good escape and/or solo kill potential. Juggernaut, Void and AM comes to mind. (Nothing stops you from buying wards yourself btw)
  • If you know better, tell your team what to do! They might not always listen, but it will help. In general, communication is good.
  • Realize that if you are better than your MMR rating, you will climb. That's how the system works. There is no secret or trick to climbing, and if you do without deserving so, you will fall right back down. Focus on getting better, not higher MMR.

This ^

The only real "trick" is learning to play a variety of Heroes to a higher standard than the bracket you're in (everything from Hard Supports to Hard Carries) and adapting your Picks to the Situation. For example:-

Got 2 Junglers, a Mid and a Hard Carry? You might think Support is the best option here, but it's actually an Offlaner who controls the flow of the game, like Axe/ Batrider/ Nature's Prophet, etc. You can still buy the Wards yourself even though you're not a Support, you can Gank, you can Farm and you control fights/Rat/Gank/etc. as needed.

You may think that leaving a Hard Carry without a Support means that they'll have terrible Farm but, it's their fault if they end up with nothing 40 minutes in. Even a Tiny up against a Warlock + Bloodseeker Dual Lane can get decent Farm in the end, so long as you know how to Rotate and create Space and Farm for yourself.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1377156247

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SuperKamiGuru2.0 » April 6, 2015 3:10pm | Report
^ Xyrus, why is that match an example? xD

On topic, play hard carry if you're really sure in your ability of playing carry, my primary role is hard carry as well but in my experience, the best way to raise mmr is to play snowballing mids and to be a better player than everyone in your mmr range m8.

I raised about 600 mmr in the span of a month, here's my dotabuff for ranked matches
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/86127275/matches?date=&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=ranked_matchmaking&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=&enjoyment=any

SuperKamiGuru2.0

Steam: TheFabulousHunter
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » April 6, 2015 6:54pm | Report

I remember that match... I also remember a certain support Tiny assigning himself the role of carry for no particular reason :3

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » April 6, 2015 7:56pm | Report
Omniknight baby.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » April 6, 2015 9:36pm | Report
Make things happen as a support. I have been playing support more than anything the past months (usually I go for core positions) and learned a lot on how I can impact the game by things a lot of players regard as useless or a waste of time. (De-) warding, harrassing, pulling, initiating ganks, securing runes etc. You can create so much space for your cores that it will be hard to still throw the game.
If you put strong cores with weak supports on one team and weak cores with strong supports on the other the team with strong supports will always win.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 6, 2015 11:37pm | Report

^ Xyrus, why is that match an example? xD

I had no support, no stacks (expect the ones I made myself), I had to fight for Farm with 3 other Teammates ( Tusk was content to get Farm from... Snowballin 8{D ) and I was 1 vs 2 against a Lane with a LOT of Damage.

If I can hit 750+GPM in those circumstances, then it just goes to show anyone can get Farm on any Hero if they know what they're doing.

If you put strong cores with weak supports on one team and weak cores with strong supports on the other the team with strong supports will always win.

It's actually the other way round. Strong Support players don't have as much impact after 10:00 - 25:00 as strong Carry players. If the Carry players are weak, they're going to have even less impact than the Support players. 8{(

Take my last Solo Ranked game as an example:-

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1373929974

The 1st 20 minutes of the game were DOMINATED by the Mid Gyrocopter. He could literally 1 vs 3 us and there wasn't much we could do to stop him. He knew how to Snowball, and how to Farm, he did not require any help from Supports to have a huge impact in the game. If he was smart enough, we would have lost that game without being able to do anything. Fortunately, he was too dumb to end the game while he could, leaving our high ground intact.

Don't get me wrong, I had a big impact in the game, constantly finding Kills, including First Blood, managing to Farm up a bit as well...but there was NO way I could control that Gyro as a Solo Support Venge. All I could do was to try and make space for Sniper and buy enough time for him to have an impact.

Thankfully I had a good Earthshaker to help achieve this, but again, this is not a Carry, so expecting him to control the Gyro was a bit too much.

In the end, we won because our mediocre Sniper outcarried the Gyro and had a larger impact than Doom or Naga Siren. There was no other reason...this is how all games are won or lost. T-T

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved