Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Blizzards Dota Opinions? .

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Blizzards Dota Opinions? . 29 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kumquat » December 24, 2011 3:33pm | Report
So?

I understand if you dislike blizzard, but you should actually come up with legitimate reasons for disliking them. What about all the other companies who are bandwagoning on the DotA train. Do you guys hate them too? If anything, it is an attempt at keeping people away from dota2 and interested in SC2, but to capitalize on it... Meh.. It won't bring in much sales imo, and I don't Blizzard cares about the pocket change that it might give them.

Anyone who is going to buy sc2 simply for their version of DOTA is an idiot regardless.

kumquat

Notable (15)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by LuvLes » December 24, 2011 3:57pm | Report
Quoted:

So?

I understand if you dislike blizzard, but you should actually come up with legitimate reasons for disliking them. What about all the other companies who are bandwagoning on the DotA train. Do you guys hate them too? If anything, it is an attempt at keeping people away from dota2 and interested in SC2, but to capitalize on it... Meh.. It won't bring in much sales imo, and I don't Blizzard cares about the pocket change that it might give them.

Anyone who is going to buy sc2 simply for their version of DOTA is an idiot regardless.

I do not mind the people who are making their own versions of DOTA. However, I heard from a friend who played it out at Blizzcon, that it was literally like playing a simpler LOL. I mean, LOL has it's own spin on Action RTS. Same with ROTT and even HON has strayed away from the generic DOTA, having a completely different meta than what it was originally copying.

If what I have been hearing is true, Blizzard is just trying to ride off the success of the genre without offering anything new besides heroes.

LuvLes

Remarkable (32)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Leech » December 24, 2011 4:31pm | Report
Quoted:

So?

I used to love blizzard, I played WC1-WC3 Diablo 1-2, never much cared for SC, I thought blizzard was awesome even enjoyed WoW for some time, then they merged with activision and became an evil corporation that will do anything and everything to make a buck. You using capitalize was so perfect because that company is capitalistic ****-hole. Playing blizzard games all my life and being a fan at that point gives me all the legitimacy I need to dislike everything they produce.

Leech

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 24, 2011 6:11pm | Report
I'm actually not a fan of the story they are using for it nor the fact that it will just be a map for sc2.

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by LuvLes » December 24, 2011 10:40pm | Report
Quoted:

I used to love blizzard, I played WC1-WC3 Diablo 1-2, never much cared for SC, I thought blizzard was awesome even enjoyed WoW for some time, then they merged with activision and became an evil corporation that will do anything and everything to make a buck. You using capitalize was so perfect because that company is capitalistic ****-hole. Playing blizzard games all my life and being a fan at that point gives me all the legitimacy I need to dislike everything they produce.

Blizzard didn't actually make either of the Diablos, they basically just bought the company once they were done and renamed them Blizzard North. Shortly after the people who made it left Blizzard entirely which is why another Diablo took so long: None of the original designers worked on this installment.

The same goes for WoW, the game was actually in an alpha stage in Europe and Blizzard bought the company, then modeled it into what you know as World of Warcraft.

LuvLes

Remarkable (32)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Leech » December 24, 2011 10:55pm | Report
Regardless, the company had good games and what seemed to be a smart business model prior to the current state of the corporation.

Leech

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Thaniel » January 1, 2012 4:41am | Report
There is absolutely nothing morally wrong with a company buying out a smaller company, funding them, and taking their agreed share of the cut once the game launches. It's how business has worked since the Industrial Era, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If Blizzard failed to properly offer incentive to what would later become Blizzard North, the smaller company never would have sold themselves to the larger. Obviously, the deal was beneficial for both parties; the studio that would become Blizzard North in the short term, and Blizzard in the long term.

Now, what Blizzard has become recently is what I have a problem with. The intrusive DRM on Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 is absolutely ridiculous. All of their games prior to SC2 and D3 have been pirated, and look how well they're doing now! There's no real reason to limit the gameplay experiences of the customers just to make a little extra gross. And that's the LEAST of my concerns with the company lately.

The effective gold purchasing system in WoW, allowing you to buy Guardian Cubs for a real price and sell them on the in-game Auction House for an in-game profit is absolutely repulsive, and completely hypocritical and contradictory to many of the mission statements Blizzard used to release on World of Warcraft.

The in-game, Real-World-Trading auction house in Diablo 3 is another issue of major concern, and is one of the many reasons I'm boycotting the game with a group of 20 or so friends of mine. Blizzard has essentially made it so people have to purchase Battle.net credit in order to buy items from one of the two in-game stores. Anyone can sell things on this store in order to earn in-game credit, but Blizzard scalps the e-entrepreneurs at every opportunity, taking a fee when you post the item, when you sell the item, and when the funds are added to your account.

On top of all this, you cannot turn Battle.net credit into real money unless you pay a "Trader's Pass" fee, and even when you do purchase the pass, Blizzard takes yet ANOTHER cut of the money when you turn your credit into cash. These cuts that Blizzard takes sink credit in such a way that people will feel pressured more than they need to to purchase Blizzard credit in order to use the store, and that's just ridiculous. The way they've got it set up, Blizzard makes 2/3 of the profit of almost any purchase in their auction house, and that's just sickening.

Nevermind the fact that you'll be able to purchase power through buying gear for use in the PvP arenas, which Blizzard is going to try (and most likely fail) to turn into an e-sport. On the off-chance that Blizzard actually succeeds in transforming Diablo PvP into an e-sport, they stand to make EVEN MORE money from advertising on tournaments, making players pay entrance fees to compete, (a'la World of Warcraft Arena Championship) and will incentivize players competing in these cash-grabs in order to procure some shiny item/consolation prize.

It's absolutely sickening, and I'll be no part of it. To hell with Blizzard and their partner in both crime and in bed, Activision.

Thaniel

Notable (4)
Steam: Brennan3775
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Thaniel » January 1, 2012 4:54am | Report
As for Bizzard DotA, it seems like a garbage game. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not going to be spending any money in order to play it. (Also, calling it 'DotA' seems kind of arrogant, does it not? Blizzard had no hand in the development of DotA.. If DotA wasn't in the WC3 engine, it could have been made in any other RTS engine of the time.)

Thaniel

Notable (4)
Steam: Brennan3775
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 15, 2012 3:50pm | Report
Any news on how this is progressing?

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved