Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dotafire...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » Dotafire... 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blitxxen » August 30, 2012 9:21am | Report
Hello everyone, my name is Captain Obvious, Im an average 400-600 games player in Dota 2, and Im not here to show off or anything, im posting here (if its the right place to do so) to "complain" about the lately increase of number of troll/useless guides like has well the increase of fraud people creating Alt-Accounts to downvote/upvote guides of his other accounts or to make someone guide down. (Im not going to point my finger to anyone even thought I want to)

Seriously, having someone that downvotes your guides for no reason is uncool, this might lead to alot of reason: 1- Jealous = 2- Mad at the guide author = 3- Troll and last but not least, the guide is simply bad. Certainly, I believe that the fourth one must be the 10% of the times that someone downvotes a guide, spreading the other 3 reasons above the 90%.

Creating a guide in Dotafire is no longer worth it (or at least for me) because of simply plain dumb troll people that downvotes guide because of they are low lifers that cant see another guide get better score than theirs (YES, IM MAD AT THEM) if there is ever a fix for this, please, for the god of good players, use it.

PS: Little suggestion, a guide that doesnt haves content shouldnt be able to be posted, just that, to everything else I said, I leave it up to your and your opinion.

Ty.

Blitxxen

Notable (7)
Steam: Shupaaa
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » August 30, 2012 11:03am | Report
I can't help but agree with BliTxXeN.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
Steam: Bugger
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dr.D » August 30, 2012 11:08am | Report
Matt mentioned something about the content requirement back in February when a separate section for builds was suggested:

Matt wrote:

We do this on MOBAFire by requiring a minimum amount of text (5000 characters including bbcode) to be written before you are considered a guide. Anything below that and you are considered a build. We've discussed bringing this to DOTAFire, it's simply a question of when. When the volume of guides showing up gets high enough, it will be worthwhile adding such a cutoff, but we don't want to do it too early at the risk of hurting the site's growth.

As for the downvoting thing, it's been brought up before. I suggest you check out this thread. There's a lot of drama in it, but Matt also provides some of insight on the current system that's definitely worth reading.

At the end of the day though, your guide rating is just a number. Sure your guide might not be on the front page, but people will eventually look at it regardless. If it's any good, you'll get those upvotes eventually, whereas the inflated guides will get shot down by the legitimate voters.

Dr.D
<Formatting Wizard>

Memorable (80)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » August 30, 2012 11:16am | Report
Dr.D I understand what you've said here but what I believe BliTxXeN and I are most peeved about is the fact there is a very small group of people who seem to create these alt-accounts JUST to downvote other individual's work to get theirs to the top. As BlitxXeN said above I cannot name a particular person I suspect is doing this, but I will see about using the report system to see if we can get this sorted.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dr.D » August 30, 2012 11:23am | Report
Yes, I understand that. Leech and some others were talking about the very same thing in the topic that I linked. It's frustrating, I know, and I've been through it too. But once the site gets more active users, the troll votes won't matter as much. In the meantime, the best you can do is report it, like you said.

Dr.D
<Formatting Wizard>

Memorable (80)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 30, 2012 11:28am | Report
This is why I never bother making guides.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » August 30, 2012 11:32am | Report
That's why I asked you earlier on today Hades whether I should get back into making guides in my spare time, for this very reason.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Whated » August 30, 2012 11:35am | Report
Well NotSureIf I bet some your negative votes you really deserve. You're guides are wall of text and a boring read. Also the "builds" are pretty messy.
If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction.
Joseph Goebbels

Whated

Notable (12)
Steam: Whated
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » August 30, 2012 11:41am | Report
You can expect that for the first few guides. I'm not saying that my guides are perfect, but what I am saying and I know this has been brought up before, don't vote at all if you can't justify why you placed your upvote/downvote. How else is the writer going to learn what went well and what needs to be fixed? Furthermore I'm still working my head around the formatting so I'm sure the next guide I work on - when I decide on what hero to write it for - will have that formatting there.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blitxxen » August 30, 2012 11:41am | Report
Well, thanks for the replies to everybody, but I think im going to agree with Dr.D, the site is pretty new yet and when more active user comes, the trolls will be lost in the fog, just like their thumbs down, but all I can do now is wait for my guides to get proper score before making more, just because I cant stand making another 2 hour work guide or more to then see it being downvoted by people.

PS: Compared to your TA guide, Dr.D, 2 hour work on a guide makes you break laughing xD but its what I do.

Blitxxen

Notable (7)
Steam: Shupaaa

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved