Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Strategy Discussion: The 4-Protect-1

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Strategy Discussion: The 4-Protect-1 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » January 15, 2016 10:15am | Report
A strategy employed heavily in the Chinese Pro Scene before the advent of the Deathball, the "4-Protect-1" strat is exactly what it sounds like, 4 heroes devoted around ensuring the game lasts long enough to ensure that the fifth hero, the carry, can come online and win the game. In layman's terms, 4-protect-1 lineups are able to 4v5 for 35-40 minutes before the 1 position takes over the game.

This strat was feasible during the 6.83 meta when passive, "turtling" heroes like Sniper were prevalent, in addition to the meta relying on farm-independent support duos like Lion+ Vengeful Spirit, the meta seemed tailor made for such a strategy.

But we're now in 6.86 and the meta has shifted drastically from the turtle rice meta of 6.83. So, here's the thing to discuss: Is the 4-Protect-1 still feasible (even if it's only situationally feasible) in 6.86 or is it simply an anachronism? Make your case!

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » January 15, 2016 12:58pm | Report
Ahh, 4-p-1. Back in the dark ages, before the Dota2s, it probably was the best way to play, back before BKBs lost duration, before Abyssal Blade was introduced, before ults could go through BKB, before MKB could pierce evasion. Even farther back, the days of 20 seconds of magic immunity Lifestealer.

But now in the age of mass force staves, ghost scepters, glimmer capes, solar crests, and more and more support items, seems like 4p1 has become a very niche strategy, since relying on one carry to save you later is putting all your eggs in one basket. It's pretty much an automatic defeat if the enemy has key anti-core heroes like Necrophos, Doom, or Beastmaster.

However, it can be a very viable way to win if getting that carry farmed is an actual win condition, mainly, if the carry has no key counters on the enemy team, like getting a Medusa farmed when the enemy carry is like Sven and there are no real counters. Similarly, a Chaos Knight/ Phantom Lancer/or Terrorblade can all shine if there are not much AOE spells on the enemy team and there is enough space to farm. Like, one time, I got owned by a 4p1 with a battlefury CK, since our primary cores were Necrophos and Puck.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » January 15, 2016 1:11pm | Report
Like getting owned by BF CK is something you should be ashamed of. This stuff works wonders(well, at least in HS unranked xD) http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2071186294

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » January 15, 2016 3:19pm | Report
I'm not particularly ashamed of losing to Bfury CK.

It is a totally legitimate way to play him, mainly if the draft favors your late game (if enemies got late game AOE, CK has to try hard to snowball), and is probably the only way to play him in 4P1 unless you got a Magnus to follow him around and give him cleave. The hero scales better with items than any other hero, except maybe Spectre.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp3ctr3 » January 15, 2016 3:34pm | Report
I think even Spectre cannot withstand against CK since there are like what 4 CK hitting you when he ults? I don't think Spectre can handle that amount of damage, assuming they are both 6 slotted. I guess Medusa can put up a figth if she has like 2 or 3 Skadis I don't know, CK is really powerful late game since his illusions hit like a train.

Sp3ctr3

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » January 16, 2016 3:47am | Report
Don't think CK vs Spectre, think CK vs Spectre + Team or Spectre vs CK + Team. Spectre is not a 1v1 hero in the first place, but he does scale better with items than any other hero.

Medusa is a Counter to CK, because her Ult is a counter to all illusion heroes(PL the only exception). She just needs to use her Ult against CK illusions.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved