Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Oracle as a #2-3

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Oracle as a #2-3 39 posts - page 3 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » June 11, 2015 1:36pm | Report
Core Oracle without Rod of Atos doesn't work.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 11, 2015 2:07pm | Report
Okay.

A few things:

First of all, I agree that this is a theorycrafting thread. Ideas should not be very quickly dismissed, however, if you idea is being taken down by reasoning, you have to accept that.

Second, please think about your contentions and rebuttals before you post them. 1.4 second = carry? Then does Techies' range make him a sniper?

Third, I think people are confusing core and carry.

Core usually denotes farm priority, carry usually means auto-attack damage.

For example: Mid Rubick is played as a core. NOT a carry. Rubick has no damage whatsoever, and is only there for the levels. (and maybe a really quick blink + Agh's).

Anti-Mage, is both a core and a carry, because he is given farm priority AND he has auto-attack damage.

Sando wrote:

You can actually farm reasonably quickly with Oracle if you have mana regen and some levels in Fortune's End - the problem with this early on is it means fewer levels in Purifying Flames - not good.

Overall I have to agree with the POV of he doesn't make a particular good core - 80%-90% of what he can do as a core, he can do as a mildly itemised support.

Generally this starts putting you into the #4 category - slightly needy in terms of gold and levels, but nowhere near enough to be a proper core.

I'd only play him mid if the draft somehow meant he had to be there as your other potential mid pick was heavily countered, and he isn't. Fast levels do quite a lot for him, but he's got to stay ahead and win early to remain relevant.

Saying all this, if the situation warrants, I think he can make a pretty good early core transistioning to support hero (like a midlane Bane for example) - where you win your lane well, gank like crazy, and "swap roles" with a support Gyrocopter or Wraith King for example.

I like the old term "semi-carry" here rather than core. Basically a hero who farms heroes rather than gold and has strong early-midgame impact.

And no, don't try to explain this to anyone in a pub :).

My thoughts exactly. Support Oracle is always going to be better than core Oracle. But, core Oracle can be played to decent success, like carry Io or something. DotA is a complicated game, where anything is possible.

Just not everything is the best.
Hope this helps.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by RazeMage » June 11, 2015 3:42pm | Report
I think Oracle as a core doesn't work really well. I played many games where i play as him and get many kills (not ks) or eventually ends up at mid lane. I pretty much dominate early game and get some kills, but after that, i am useless. The items aren't helping too much and i'm the only one that's fed in the team and the enemy pretty much.

Though, i think core Rubick works much better. There are many games where i'm the only one that can do anything and because of that, enemy are unable to do anything due to the stolen spells. I think his viability as a core depends on the enemy skills though.

But well, i don't play ranked so... you know

edit :
core
Rubick
Oracle
vs
support
Rubick
Oracle

RazeMage

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » June 11, 2015 3:46pm | Report
TheSofa wrote:

Okay.

A few things:

First of all, I agree that this is a theorycrafting thread. Ideas should not be very quickly dismissed, however, if you idea is being taken down by reasoning, you have to accept that.

Second, please think about your contentions and rebuttals before you post them. 1.4 second = carry? Then does Techies' range make him a sniper?

Third, I think people are confusing core and carry.

Core usually denotes farm priority, carry usually means auto-attack damage.

For example: Mid Rubick is played as a core. NOT a carry. Rubick has no damage whatsoever, and is only there for the levels. (and maybe a really quick blink + Agh's).

Anti-Mage, is both a core and a carry, because he is given farm priority AND he has auto-attack damage.

My thoughts exactly. Support Oracle is always going to be better than core Oracle. But, core Oracle can be played to decent success, like carry Io or something. DotA is a complicated game, where anything is possible.

Just not everything is the best.
Hope this helps.

But what's the point of giving core position to a hero that lacks damage in the first place?

If we assume no special strategies, there will be 2 core heroes in the team, and if they deal no damage, you will lose because no matter how much utility your core has, it is nothing without damage - even heroes that are cast to mid/safe lane to get fast Mek or Blink pack quite a punch on their own and they scale decently.

Look at the strongest and the most popular mids now - Lina, Leshrac, Zeus - are they picked because of their utility? They don't even have utility beyond items they get, all they can do is deal a ****ton of damage, and that's what they do best, and they take space because they can keep up dealing damage with items they get, and they deal more damage with levels.

Oracle, on the contrary, reaches his peak at level 7, and even then he can't go into enemy lane boasting "Wow, look at my ulti, it's so ******* huge, wanna try? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)" because the fact that he has level False Promise won't help him much during a gank because it's defensive and it's only offensive side(free BKB) is too situational. However, all of the ganking mids can.

And if you pick him as a farming mid he will only snipe lasthits and sustain himslelf, nothing more until he gets at least Blink Dagger, and then... they just TP out, yeah.

I don't know why would you want to run Oracle as a core unless you are forced to somehow. Very gimmicky and situational.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » June 11, 2015 4:13pm | Report
Actually 6.83 Oracle was really good mid, because his ult was so good. Initiating from invis and staying invis while attacking was so abusable, especially against squishy midlaners.
Now that it doesn't give invis it's a useless skill. It only has use when you're ahead or playing lower mmr bracket.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 11, 2015 4:29pm | Report
I see. After reading the comments here, it looks like a #4 Oracle is more useful than a #2/3 Oracle. So, I'm guessing that Eul's Scepter Arcansm boots would be a good early pick-up on this hero. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Also, what do you guys think of an offlane #3 full-utility Oracle?

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » June 11, 2015 8:17pm | Report
Totally viable. It's actually really good because you have a free BKB ( False Promise), a psedo-stun / nuke, A heal and last hitting ability (recently really good, you can now one shot ranged creeps), and a skill that amplifies your right click.
Mood of the Day

^_^

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » June 11, 2015 8:21pm | Report

Now that it doesn't give invis it's a useless skill. It only has use when you're ahead or playing lower mmr bracket.

Hahahahahahahahaha you think it's bad now? No way. It gives constant debuff. That means no slowing, stuning, damage over time, etc. Before it was easily countered bc all you had to do was buy Dust. If anything they buffed it.
Mood of the Day

^_^

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » June 11, 2015 8:49pm | Report
It is bad now. What does it do? It prevents one hero from getting disabled. In what situation is that useful? When you need to prevent one hero from getting stunlocked. Is it better than BKB? No, dmg still goes through. Is it useful with BKB? Only against physical disables. What physical disables are in existance? Primal roar, Abyssal and bashes. Which of those has multiple instances? Only bashes. Is there any hero who has bashlord potential currently? Only Faceless Void and Troll Warlord. Under what circumstances will their bashlording occur? When they're overfarmed. In what situation are you if you play against overfarmed Void or Troll? A losing position. Will Oracle's ult change anything in that position? Absolutely not, because the dmg will still be too high.

Does prolonging a death have any use? Not really, you can see how bad Wraith King aghs is.

There is a reason noone plays Oracle anymore. It's the changes to his ult. What replaced his ult? Glimmer Cape. Is that a good item? It's one of the best. Where is your dust argument now?

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » June 11, 2015 9:00pm | Report

It is bad now. What does it do? It prevents one hero from getting disabled. In what situation is that useful? When you need to prevent one hero from getting stunlocked. Is it better than BKB? No, dmg still goes through. Is it useful with BKB? Only against physical disables. What physical disables are in existance? Primal roar, Abyssal and bashes. Which of those has multiple instances? Only bashes. Is there any hero who has bashlord potential currently? Only Faceless Void and Troll Warlord. Under what circumstances will their bashlording occur? When they're overfarmed. In what situation are you if you play against overfarmed Void or Troll? A losing position. Will Oracle's ult change anything in that position? Absolutely not, because the dmg will still be too high.

Does prolonging a death have any use? Not really, you can see how bad Wraith King aghs is.

There is a reason noone plays Oracle anymore. It's the changes to his ult. What replaced his ult? Glimmer Cape. Is that a good item? It's one of the best. Where is your dust argument now?

exactly, it stoppes disables, which is pretty damn good. when you use true sight on the other one it the effects was like the current one but without the disables. apart from the CD and 1 sec duration nerf ofc.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved