Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Necrophos Mid?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Necrophos Mid? 37 posts - page 3 of 4

Poll Question:

Necrophos Mid?
Yes
No
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 27, 2014 3:54am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

How much do I have to repeat this? You don't play Necro support because you want early kills, you play Necro support because you want to passively win your lane and prevent aggression on your carry completely. He's a DEFENSIVE support, like Lich or Warlock!

So you're perfectly fine with losing your other Lanes if the other side is capable of Rotating then?

Granted, in Pubs, no one is going to Rotate much, but that doesn't mean these people know what they're doing. Popping a Smoke of Deceit and Rotating Mid to get an easy First Blood can make a huge impact on the game, especially when Mids who want their lvl6 as fast as possible are imvolved, e.g. Storm Spirit, Queen of Pain, etc. i.e. Mids that can easily win the games single handedly if they get a good start.

Don't forget, most Solo Offlaners don't get their Farm from the Lane, but from Rotating and Killing other Lanes, or Jungling. Even if you Harrass them out of Lane, you're not stopping them from gettting Exp or Gold if they can trample all over your Mid or Offlane. Some of them can even stand in Lane and ignore your Harrass. For example, if I was playing Bristleback against a Spectre and a Necrophos...I'd have a field day. >8{D

Just because your Carry and Supports are going to be useful later on, doesn't mean the other Team is going to let you drag the game past 30:00.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 27, 2014 4:25am | Report
Krwiozerca wrote:

I do not agree that Juggernaut is a support. Take a look at his skills - Blade Fury is an ability that deals magic damage IF you are close to the enemy. Damage is not spread, so you want to be as close to your enemies as you can. Name supports that wants to be close to many enemies while not disabling them. Healing Ward is a pure healing skill, and you stated that "healing has NOTHING to do with being a support", so this skill isn't supportive in your opinion (I think this is the only Juggernaut's skill that is support oriented). Blade Dance is a melee critical chance skill - no comments on that. And Omnislash is an unreliable physical damage nuke.

Necrophos being a support is something different. He has combined skills of dealing damage (magical and HP removal) to many enemies, while healing his teammates and one of the strongest single-target spell. Death Pulse has a very low cooldown and can be used around 2-4 times in an average teamfight. Heartstopper Aura is dealing constant damage within it's huge range, which is obviously helping a team during teamfights. I think that Necrophos being a support is based on his contribution to the whole team and potentially removing most important hero at each teamfight. Healing Ward takes 1 hit to be destroyed. Death Pulse is spammable. Sadist gives him extra survavibility after he will succesfully kill someone using Reaper's Scythe.

Juggernaut without farm is any better than Necrophos without farm. Juggernaut is a carry that has to be active early and snowball (I hate that term) even more than Necrophos. Juggernaut is both gold and level denependent, while Necrophos is rather level and gold dependent.

In not claiming that juggernaut is a support, i just say that he is capable of playing one in an organised pushing team ecouse healing ward is awesome. And once again, healing had nothing to do with supports, its just that you dont need farm or hard commitment to make that spell really usefull.

Having necrophos as a so called devensive support doesnt make much sense either, every trilane should be able to keep the offlaner below your carry's level.

And no one ever who isnt below average said that warlock is a good lane support. Same goes for necrophos, he doesnt do anything apart from decent laning.

Lich is a bit different, he also isnt made for pure defensive trilanes, he is best in a dual lane, securing more farm for that lanes farmer, while giving less to enemies. But picking a hero purely for screwing the offlaner is NOT worth it at all, and often hurts your team as most offlaners can jungle or gank with low levels.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Krwiozerca » July 27, 2014 4:59am | Report
Back to the topic - I just played Necrophos mid against QoP and it was fine:http://dotabuff.com/matches/800681415

Where did you get this statistic, Timminatorr, that noone ever who isnt below average said that Warlock is a good lane support?

Krwiozerca

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (34)
Steam: Krwiozerca
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » July 27, 2014 5:23am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Granted, in Pubs, no one is going to Rotate much...

Some next level theorycrafting over there Mr. Xyrus 8{D
Necrophos isn't a support - he have no stun, no slow, no silence, nothing. He's CORE, that means - he's one of these guys that take farm and have higher impact on the game. Be it either EZ lane, mid or offlane - you don't want to waste support slot, unless you're doing some new meta 1 protect 4 tactic :D
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 27, 2014 5:35am | Report
Krwiozerca wrote:

Back to the topic - I just played Necrophos mid against QoP and it was fine:http://dotabuff.com/matches/800681415

Where did you get this statistic, Timminatorr, that noone ever who isnt below average said that Warlock is a good lane support?

Ok let me just first say that the average dotafire member is below being a 'good' player.

Having said that it means that for the avarage user on this site it is fine to use warlock as a lane support, but not because he is a good support, it is because he is good against bad players, and has to spend less money on usable items resulting in him having more items.
The gold difference between carries and supports is also less in those pubs because most carries are bad at farming, and he thrives in those situations.

I look at how the game functions at the level where people know how to play and can bring that in practice, since the game is also balanced for those kind of games.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » July 28, 2014 1:54am | Report
well a Necrophos thread, there seem to be a lot of these. In that dotabuffgame posted above it would seem the other team all basically fed, I would not say that's a good example as recently I destroyed a necrophos mid with qop, its a little hard to come up with these comparisons from games.

Anyway, Necrophos isn't really a support, however you can...how do I put this...blend the lines between support and semi-carry, You buy supportish items on him like mech however you also kill people, I would put him at the hidden 2.5 or 3.5 role.

On a side note, you fellas need to calm down a little, your not proving a case in the court of law, no one has accused you of murdering that innocent old man down the street so please, take a break and have some fun.

I hope that wasn't to political, if anyone has an objection pm me and i will take it down.

edit: This was my 300th post, achievement
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 28, 2014 1:58am | Report
FleetAU wrote:

well a Necrophos thread, there seem to be a lot of these. In that dotabuffgame posted above it would seem the other team all basically fed, I would not say that's a good example as recently I destroyed a necrophos mid with qop, its a little hard to come up with these comparisons from games.

Anyway, Necrophos isn't really a support, however you can...how do I put this...blend the lines between support and semi-carry, You buy supportish items on him like mech however you also kill people, I would put him at the hidden 2.5 or 3.5 role.

On a side note, you fellas need to calm down a little, your not proving a case in the court of law, no one has accused you of murdering that innocent old man down the street so please, take a break and have some fun.

I hope that wasn't to political, if anyone has an objection pm me and i will take it down.

Nah people shouldnt whine about such a picture, this is the internet. And he is a crazy ****er that needs to be laughed at anyway.
Also you have THIS IS SPARTA posts!!

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » July 28, 2014 2:37am | Report
He's a tough hero to place - and I think you guys are talking at slightly cross purposes about some of this stuff - there is a world of difference between a dual lane pub support, and a tri-lane pro support.

Necrophos can work pretty well as a dual lane pub support (provided the opposition don't have massive disable or burst power), you help with early utility items, babysit your carry with a few pulls early on, then flash farm like crazy once the game breaks up a little. Your team gets an extra tank/pusher/semi-carry.

In a trilane this doesn't really work - poor kill potential, level dependent and no early stun/slow. It's vaguely possible, but difficult to justify.

Warlock is almost exactly the same - he's generally too level dependent for trilanes, but he can work as a dual lane babysitter quite nicely. Before the pro-watchers scoff too much at some of this stuff - it does happen from time to time at that level, and you never know what the next meta or situational matchup will mean.

You could argue that the likes of support Wraith King offer similar stuff - but he has really quite a different skillset from Necrophos, who does offer some pretty unique stuff. Also remember that support Wraith King used to be seen as an absolute joke not that long ago :)

Overall though, I would say Necrophos probably should be played as a mid, as long as he a matchup that isn't going to be horrific for him. Fast levels and a fast Mekansm do a lot for him.

Don't entirely write off the support #4 Necro though, your team may need to "cover" for him early in various ways (same with the TI4 EG Omniknight pickup?), but if you judge the relative balance of the draft correctly, you can flash farm a very potent hero quickly from the #4 position.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 28, 2014 2:53am | Report
FleetAU wrote:

Basically, he is a Utility Hero, a Core that buys Items for the Team, like Centaur Warrunner , Puck, Dark Seer, etc.
FleetAU wrote:

edit: This was my 300th post, achievement

Congrats

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » July 28, 2014 3:21am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Basically, he is a Utility Hero, a Core that buys Items for the Team, like Centaur Warrunner , Puck, Dark Seer, etc.

That's the word I was looking for
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved