Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What happened to casual dota

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » What happened to casual dota 12 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » June 16, 2015 7:07am | Report
Ok so i havent played much dota 1 but here are my thoughts.

1: The transition from a custom map to a full game.
This changed a couple of things, people probably view playing a custom game as more casual then playing a full game, and probably will have a more casual additude.
Introduction of a matchmaking system. People want to win more, they can track the outcome of their games and their every stat. And they want to improve and get into higher skill games. I know that dota 1 lobbies had bots that can ban, track wins and so forth, but there could be a team with multiple beginners against a semi pro.

2: Easier acces to professional games and replays.
People see pro players play and that makes them want to be better, they see certain heroes picked up a lot so they play that too, they see an itembuild ao they play that too.
The max skill level became a lot higher, and builds have massively improved. In dota 1 nobody knew what the most effective builds were, you play it casually and if you were a bit more tryhard you go look up some guides on playdota. Right now a lot of builds are finetuned and calculated so much that the best build is often common knowledge. Rewind back to The International 1, everyone builds vanguard on everything, from beastmaster to enigma, try to do that now in a professional team or a pub. Everyone will call you crazy. TI2, linkens firstitem naga everywhere. Ive seen it once in a professional game, the casters were rightfully mocking the player. And his teammates too because after the perseverance he picked up a relic for radiance, but by then it was too late.
I mean i get annoyed too if a player goes for a build that clearly turned out wrong. Recently a mid lina that went for dagon as her first item and upgraded it all the way. I mean i wont rage at them unless im seriously pissed because they are flaming others themselves, but i will be pissed becauseeeee........

3: Dota is insanely unforgiving.
For example, that lina i was talking about, her impact was still decent, but she dropped off like a rock once we were a bit behind, her build didnt work out and we had to pay for it.
And as i said before, people get more pissed about that sort of there is a matchmaking system now, and they take the game more seriously. They dont want to lose because 1 player on their team decided to get a wrong item. And that can easily happen, your carry didnt go BKB and died in a crucial fight because of spells? Your lion wants to rush an aghanims instead of a force staff despite being against riki/clockwerk? Your viper decided not waste the teams synergy and went for a shadowblade to find kills instead of picking up a mekanism and push?
A simple 1 item deviation can easily lose your team the game, and you cant just leave the game and be like 'meh there are plenty of hosting bots left so LMFAO wHo cAREAS HAHA Xd

Final note, core Venomancer>>>>>support Venomancer. Just like Warlock he needs to much levels and really likes farm. Playing them as supports is so miserable. ;_; Y u no giff me mid?

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » June 16, 2015 3:10pm | Report
First of all, welcome to DOTAFire. Enjoy your stay, and don't be afraid to ask about things!

Now back to the topic, yes, I feel you. But you also have to remember that back in Dota 1, the one community we have here now was split up into multiple platforms: Eurobattle, icCup, Garena, Gplay, RDL, EDL etc. So at some point, you actually get to know the guys you're going to play with. It's like a small village, everyone knows eachother at some point sooner or later.

Just ignore the baddies. You can mute them from the scoreboard if they keep annoying you.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved