Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Dotabuddy System...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The Dotabuddy System... 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 7, 2015 4:49pm | Report
Gather round kids, and let me tell you a story!

Back in ye olde days, and I'm talking pre-6.70 Dota 1 olde days, the Radiant or Dire alignment of your hero actually mattered! Only people on the Radiant side could pick Radiant, and vice versa.

This is common knowledge. What's slightly less common knowledge is the next bit.

Since the hero pool was limited, OSFrog designed heroes to have a Radiant and a Dire counterpart that had a similar ability layout, even if it played very differently (he intended for them to have the same role, I'd bet - but people experiment and you get abominations like carry Windrunner).

This is still evident in Dota 2. You get lovely couples like:

Abaddon and Omniknight
Lion and Lina
Terrorblade and Naga Siren
Anti-Mage and Phantom Assassin

It's an interesting design feature which sadly screws with balance like you wouldn't believe. You probably looked at the last point and wondered 'how the hell do you put AM and PA on the same page?' Again, it's their ability layout. Both heroes have an innate blink. Both have a high resistance to some form of damage. Both are midgame physical damage burst carries. A designer would look at their spells and think, 'yep. They'll be similar in playstyle.' Of course, they aren't, because of a variety of reasons.

What other comboes are there?

Troll Warlord and Slardar
One I'm not 100% sure about is Luna and Medusa
Queen of Pain and either Puck or Storm Spirit - old Storm was a really weird hero with an ult kinda similar to Skewer.

So, what ones can you think of? This list isn't exhaustive!
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » November 7, 2015 6:14pm | Report
How can you forget Sven and Wraith King?! The two have skills so similar it's hard to think they weren't buddies before!

Bounty Hunter and Riki also come to mind.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » November 7, 2015 6:34pm | Report
Drow Ranger and Clinkz maybe?
Arc Warden and Meepo
Io and pit lord
outworld devourer and Silencer

Actually a fun fact.

Whats the command again? -ap?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » November 7, 2015 8:07pm | Report
masaaki14 wrote:

How can you forget Sven and Wraith King?! The two have skills so similar it's hard to think they weren't buddies before!

Bounty Hunter and Riki also come to mind.

But booty hunter and Riki are radiant, or in dota 1's case, "sentinel" if I recall right.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » November 7, 2015 8:35pm | Report
Wasn't riki in dire?

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 7, 2015 9:05pm | Report
Nope, both are Sentinel. I think the comparison was Bounty and Nyx.

Also, Wisp and Arc Warden weren't in Dota at that time, along with Kunkka, Timbersaw, Winter Wyvern, Batrider, Elder Titan, Gyrocopter, Disruptor, Shadow Demon, Tusk and Ancient Apparition.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Olsenbb » November 25, 2015 1:39am | Report
Tiny and Centaur?? I didnt quite understand how did you put those heroes there but I am guessing you are talking about perfect couples or combinations that works out most of the time.

Olsenbb

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 25, 2015 5:30pm | Report
Oh yes, that does remind me.

Not Tiny and Centaur, but the pair is Axe and Centaur Warrunner .

And another one is Enigma and Magnus, as the purple ghost used to be Radiant... for whatever reason.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » November 25, 2015 10:47pm | Report
Don't forget about Pudge and Clockwerk, two long range initiators (with their respective hook abilities), only difference is Clockwerk's hook pulls him to the target whereas Pudge's hook pull his target toward him.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 25, 2015 11:04pm | Report
Oh, good one!

It's weird that Chen and Enchantress were both Sentinels, because it'd be an easy fit with them... possibly, old Visage was meant to be their counterpart.

Troll Warlord and Slardar are also a possibility.

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved