Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Radiant and Dire Stalemate

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Radiant and Dire Stalemate 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Geezer » August 21, 2015 10:44pm | Report
So I play a lot of chess and it got me into thinking, what if there were draw conditions in Dota?

1. Strategic value. The best games I play are the ones that are so evenly matched, that even late game, both teams seem to equally best each other in team fights, leaving very little pushing power thereafter. At this point of the game, it usually comes down to who makes that small critical mistake that allows the other team to push and win. I think it would be interesting, that say at around 50-60 minutes, you should be able to offer a draw, and the other team would have to accept. I think this would be a very strategic decision to make. If both teams are truly evenly powerful and competent, and it is that late in the game where the slightest mistake will quickly end your ancient, do you accept a draw? Or do you risk it? Or maybe you know that you have enough for a buyback after the next team fight, or you are almost finished building that key item, and there is no risk in refusing a draw?

2. Sportsmanship. A lot of my matches are very one sided and un-enjoyable regardless of what side I am on. When I do get that perfectly exciting evenly balanced game, and the enemy team played very well despite eventually losing, I do wish to give them some credit, maybe offering a draw is the way to do it.

3. Time. I know we all love dota, but some of us have kids to entertain and hotels to manage and 60+ minutes for a dota match, come on now, let’s give the game a chance to end. Most sports have some sort of time limit to them.

It would also be interesting if there was an automatic draw if either team has had mega creeps for 10 minutes because any team skilled enough to destroy all raxes deserves some credit, and any team that holds out against mega creeps, AND the team that destroyed their raxes, deserves some credit.

I don’t actually think this should be implemented, at least not as I described, but it is interesting to discuss.

Geezer

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » August 21, 2015 11:29pm | Report
The game will eventually end based on who has better six slots and who makes the least amount of mistakes.
Mood of the Day

T_T

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » August 22, 2015 12:03am | Report
There's always going to be that troll that accepts/declines at that one time.
And who gets to decide to offer a draw?

EDIT: Maybe only in Captains Mode?

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » August 22, 2015 2:53am | Report
TheSofa wrote:

There's always going to be that troll that accepts/declines at that one time.
And who gets to decide to offer a draw?

EDIT: Maybe only in Captains Mode?

My thoughts exactly. Also, wouldn't the team being offered a draw assume that the opponents think they might loose and then continue playing? I know I would.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ginsing » September 1, 2015 8:33pm | Report
I don't particularly like the draw idea, but I really wish they would implement a forfeit option.

I have turned around several terribly losing games, so I know it happens, but it only happens when the whole team believes. If one or two people are sitting in fountain and just trolling or complaining in /ALL about how blue is a noob feeder. I find this the most distasteful thing in the game currently.

Implementing a vote for FF requiring 4 of 5 people would be a great addition to the game imo. You of course take the MMR loss, but at least you don't have to stay holed up in your fountain for 10-15 mines waiting for the other team to get bored enough to end it.
Ginsing
DotaBuff

Ginsing

Steam: Ginsing

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved