Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

DotA 2 Smalltalk

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » DotA 2 Smalltalk 213 posts - page 14 of 22
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » May 17, 2016 8:00am | Report
Lion hasn't been a top tier support in competitive play in every patch since 6.83. I know that isn't the argument that Hamster is making, or especially relevant to it, but it is an inaccurate statement. He's risen in popularity in this patch (From what I remember of Epicenter), but he was never super popular in the previous two patches.

He was the 8th most popular support in 6.86, wasn't even in the top 40 most popular heroes in 6.85, and was admittedly the 6th most popular support 6.84. But he's not consistently top tier. It's technically semantics, but I dislike the misrepresentation a little.

And there will always be games where the item is the best pick-up. It's part of the game given how we base items in utility rather than stats. Like there will be games where say you are on Gyrocopter and you need it to deal with that BKB Sven who jumps on you and tries to kill you in 3 hits. It's not the most efficient individual item to build, but it's the best item to help your team to win. Or when your team simply needs more kiting ability, or you need a way to reliably lockdown a target in a fight but don't want to risk a BKB counter or Lotus Orb despell.

The item is no longer as good as it used to be,but two forms of BKB piercing Lockdown still has situational value. I also think I've presented a pretty ****ty argument here (I mostly wanted to highlight the fact hat Abyssal Blade isn't entirely an aggresive Blink initiation item, that it has competitively seen usage as a defensive item on some ranged cores. If a BKB hero jumps on you when you have a Scythe, the item is worth **** all during the duration. Yes, alternate kiting options exist to help with that, but it's worth considering)

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 17, 2016 8:02am | Report
Dimonychan wrote:

Argumentum ad populum is complete trash because vast majority of people have no idea how things work in Dota and simply repeat smthing said/done by actually good players. If you have any doubt in this, just do something slightly unusual that actually works and see people react(spoiler alert: they will flame you for anything they will deem "silly", because they always think they know better).

I feel explaining this further might be convenient: which you call Argumentum ad populum is just a nice sounding way to say "even if we're playing a game that's 90% opinion and that 90% disagrees with me, I'm right when I say that X". There isn't, per definition, any right or wrong, and we still say things like this. Why? Because we are entitled to, and we have to generalize, otherwise no type of conversation is ever possible (imagine always having to say "maybe", "imo" etc per line of opinion on a thread).

The fact that the vast majority of people have no idea how things work in Dota is indeed inrelevant because when I say something like "you're alone in this", I don't mean you're alone in reddit, I mean precisily considering those good players.

More: the event of "we all have an important opinion and we should not hesitate to go against the current" can backfire terribly because we get so comfortable in it we think we can express our ******ness in intelectual subjects and everyone that points that out gets called out because "I have the right to think differently" (no, this is not a personal attack to anyone, it's a trend I've been noticing for some time now). There is such a thing as maybe if we're alone, it's because we're wrong - and that's just a lesson in humility.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 17, 2016 8:04am | Report
Side note: I did comments mentioning something like 6 different members of dota fire, including some that I'm very close with, just to make sure the point about not being personal goes across xD

Except for Safecyn. Him I just insulted on purpose for no other reason than to spite him. COME AT ME IF YOU DARE BROH

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » May 17, 2016 8:24am | Report
I would post a 10 paragraph essay to reply, but i'm too lazy. Therefore, here's my simple argument.

Silver Edge is pretty op considering what it does, the only thing stopping it from truly becoming op is the meta favouring supports and teamfights. The moment disabler supports go out of fashion, as ridiculous as that sounds, the item can, and will, see a big spike in winrate. Same goes for if ratting becomes popular again.

The whole argument for Abyssal Blade vs Scythe of Vyse, honestly makes no sense, because they are different items for different heroes. Yes, there are heroes where buying both wouldn't be a bad idea, but in most cases you would only go for one. In that case, let me ask you a question.

Would you go for big stun or sheepstick on a Phantom Lancer? How about Wraith King? nyx Assasin? Or even Troll Warlord, if you had to buy one?

Both serve a similar purpose, but they are not exactly the same. Sheepstick does not have the bash effect of big basher, but it does give far superior stats. Which is more important? Well, just ask this. Who are you playing, and what are you playing againt? That will answer your question most of the time.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 17, 2016 9:01am | Report
See, here's a man with the power of synthesis, God bless him! :D

I still don't agree that the item is OP, because of the cost and the components: it is awkward to buy for some cores that would maybe like to have its active on a specific game, and yet it's too expensive for a support/#3 to get it asap. Mostly because what looks so good on paper - the stats, invi and break - might not be what's more needed in the game, because you need to fight things to which that doesn't help (like games with big teamfight heroes such as Enigma or Dark Seer, just to name something). Anyway, I agree it's a strong item nonetheless, specially with the last change for the Ultimate Orb.

Credits to Janitsu!

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » May 17, 2016 9:30am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Essentially the problem I have is very simple :

- Abyssal is a Vanguard worth of stats plus HP regen plus an active
- Sheep is an Ultimate Orb worth of stats plus mana regen plus an active

Before, abyssal was a Sacred Relic worth of stats plus an active. So this made abyssal a better item on melee carries than sheep, because carries want damage. Abyssal was awesome stats plus an active, sheep was mediocre stats plus an active.

I always thought the sheep active was far better than the abyssal active. It's almost twice the duration, and 800 cast range! And a lower cooldown. Piercing BKB isn't worth giving up on all that, especially when you don't have a way to jump BKB'd targets.

Like, would you rather have a 7 second 2000 cast range stun that doesn't pierce BKB, or would you rather have Primal Roar?
"piercing BKB" is simply not worth "10 times as good".

But now the abyssal stats are actually *worse* than the sheep stats. Because Ultimate Orb is a good item, Vanguard, not really.

So it all comes down to
* Is the abyssal active ever better than the sheep active? Honestly, for me, that's a massive no. BKB piercing isn't worth the halved duration and melee cast range.
* Is HP regen better on your hero than mana regen? If you have a hero with no mana issues whatsoever but who absolutely needs HP regen, it might be an argument.

I covered it in my previous post. Essentially Crimson Guard is a much better buildup from Vanguard than abyssal, considering how that hero works.

You can use items during Omnislash, so I don't see how he doesn't benefit from scythe during ult. Actually, he can't use abyssal during ult because melee cast range, while he can use 800 cast range sheep easily when omnislashing.

On Jugger, both abyssal and sheep only have their place as late game items. Since neither item gives good stats, it comes down to which active is better.

Jugger gets mana regen from bfury...well first if he gets one, and HP regen is wasted on the hero anyways becaus ehe has ward. So it's more like Jugger doesn't need regen.

ALso, scythe has 800 cast range. It's perfectly viable initiation without a blink by using the fog to initiate.

Again, you lost 60 damage on abyssal, and got a Vanguard instead. Sure it's still viable on carries?

Okay, mayyybe, and that's just because Centaur really benefits from HP regen and doesn't especially need mana regen.
I'd still much rather have the sheep active, but the abyssal regen at least has good synergy with him.

Still, it's not an aghs, blademail, forcestaff, pipe or halberd, so there are better midgame options on Centaur.

And sheep is always better in the late game
...because anything that builds from Vanguard can't decently be called a late game item.

Centaur is probably the least bad of the list though, I admit.

Ummm...no. He doesn't. Vanguard NS is not and has never been a thing.
Just because Volvo has premade item builds on heroes doesn't mean they're not completely garbage.
Just compare rushing Vanguard on NS and rushing this item

On one hand, you have 65 damage, 25 attack speed, 9 armor, and tons of effective HP from armlet toggling.
On the other hand, you have 250 HP and a bit of damage block.

Basher NS is good because it cancels TP scrolls, but Vanguard NS is literally horrible scrub tier -_-

And how exactly do you snowball with a 6K gold item that deals zero damage?

Well it used to be great on Alchemist, but is it still?

Again, you lost 60 damage and gained a Vanguard.

Abyssal is just the bash and the active now. Alch is already slot-starved as hell. Won't you rather have a skadi, a MKB or something?

Also, the sheep active is awesome on Alch, since he can initiate with sheep and follow-up with stun. The abyssal active is just weak to getting kited.

Alch used to by abyssal because it was an expensive late game item. But its no longer a late game item now, is it?

Doesn't do much except Force Staff away and trap the BKB'd carry in his cogs? Clock is one of the best counters to BKB in the game...
Now he can even Blade Mail.

In the early game, vanguard makes you tankier. Thing is, in the early game Clock buys blademail, forcestaff and aghs. Not vanguard.

In the late game vanguard doesn't make you tankier in any way.

Well he has a way to land the abyssal active, that's for sure. But the sheep active is still better.

Clock can buy *both* abyssal and sheep. But if I have to choose, I'd take the sheep anyday.

If you're playing CK against Sven, rat dota is pretty much the only way you can win. That and sick illusion micro with control groups.

If you buy abyssal against Sven, how do you land it on the BKB'd Sven? Reality Rift doesn't go through BKB. You can't walk up to him or you get 3-shotted.

So how is it relevant to have a BKB-piercing stun over a sheep?

Also, Ultimate Orb gives stats to CK illusions. Vanguard doesn't.

Corrected the numbers, cause it's worse than you think.

You forgot the +15 to all stats. It's as much stats as a linkens.

Also, silver edge is good in teamfights as well. Strap it on a ranged hero, you have a 600 range active.

Silver is not a ganking item. It's a hate item against heroes with passives. Exactly the same way Heaven's Halberd is a hate item against ranged carries. It's a hard counter to heroes like PA or BB that were already underpowered as hell.

Can someone give her the KT;DR award?
Also, how much do you have idle to write such a well.formatted reply? You must be crazy.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » May 17, 2016 9:49am | Report
Isn't she a lawyer? She must be used to writing such "crazy" amounts of text.
I am getting sick of this. I thought a discussion was to accomplish something, get your point across but whatever.

Also you say you din't attack anyone nor did anyone feel attacked which contradicts the quote you took from Hamster.

But whatever. As meaningful discussion work like this I am not able to have a meaningful discussion because I usually try to achieve something rather than discuss fo the sake of it (as long as you don't call it philosphy ofc then it is fine with me).

I have the feeling that dotafire is moving more and more towards a direction I don't like.
A few days I was thinking about setting up an inhouse but looking at this chat just makes me feel bad. I think I might actually understand what Smuggels meant.
Well. Guess I am gonna stay away from this site a bit.

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 17, 2016 10:38am | Report
Well, you did say I lacked arguments, and then when I present them I'm accused of wall-of-text. You see now why I didn't do a bigger comment first, right? ahah

I was simply trying to also talk in the Abyssal/Scythe debacle, which interests me. I was indeed trying to get my point across, when the ad populum came. So I wanted to bury it, I don't like to discuss for the sake of discussing either, but well, what better to show what I mean than to explain it on a 10 pages long comment I guess xD

And I am a lawyer, but trust me, that's not where my incapacity of producing synthetic texts comes from.

Credits to Janitsu!

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » May 17, 2016 11:42am | Report
I actually don't hate wall of texts I actually miss the good old Xyrus walls T.T
I just saw no way you could come to a conclusion because as clear as Thesis and Antithesis were there you weren't moving one inch.
But maybe I did missunderstand you two. Social interactions are a strange thing and don't work like other things do.
Usually you do A and get B but when interacting with others the A might produce A,B,C or D. This can even occur on the same person. It is even more complex than Quantum-physics.
Just have your fun here I'll stay away from here a bit as I am obviously only interferring.

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 17, 2016 12:23pm | Report
michimatsch wrote:

I think I might actually understand what Smuggels meant.

the feels man.

dem feels...

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved