Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A couple item build questions.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » A couple item build questions. 15 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 14, 2014 1:29pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

You don't have to get 2 levels of X at that early level.You can just max torrent and tidebringer (with boat accordingly) then just max the X.This way, you'll actually learn to manage early without the X.

Why? This comment doesnt really make sense to me......
I thought we established that more levels in X marks allows you to actually hit torrent.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 14, 2014 2:03pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

You don't have to get 2 levels of X at that early level.You can just max torrent and tidebringer (with boat accordingly) then just max the X.This way, you'll actually learn to manage early without the X.

Timminatorr wrote:

Why? This comment doesnt really make sense to me......
I thought we established that more levels in X marks allows you to actually hit torrent.

It's probably to do with the fact that it's a Skill shot, like Sunstrike. There's a lot to be said if you can land Torrents without using X Marks the Spot (I can only do it about half of the time ._. ). You might also have an ideal setup to combo the Torrent with, like Banish.

Kunkka + Shadow Demon + Lina == <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » February 14, 2014 2:19pm | Report
Quoted:
It's probably to do with the fact that it's a Skill shot, like Sunstrike.

This is what I meant.You learn landing the Torrent without actually using X Marks the Spot.That way, you'll do it instictively.

In early fighs, it does matter if you torrent deals a measly 120 damage or 300, especially with the boat combo.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 14, 2014 3:09pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

It's probably to do with the fact that it's a Skill shot, like Sunstrike. There's a lot to be said if you can land Torrents without using X Marks the Spot (I can only do it about half of the time ._. ). You might also have an ideal setup to combo the Torrent with, like Banish.

Kunkka + Shadow Demon + Lina == <}3

If you have setup, sure you could skip it. Sunstrike is easier to land in the way that you use it to finish someone off most of the time. You have setup, torrent on the other hand IS the setup. But there is a much bigger problem with skipping, X marks.
YOU NOW DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN THROW ghost ship if the torrent misses becouse it is mostly based on luck and cant be predicted, (invoker can setup with Cold Snap, you wasted your ult and a lot of mana. If you hesitate on throwing the ship and the torrent hits anyway, you cant throw the ship becouse you will be too late.

And what is more important, nullifing any blink/leap/tp with X. Ensuring the kill on that freefarming carry or snowballing mid? Or 180 magic damage?

What has a bigger chance of happening? The event that torrent misses and the entire gank fails.
Or the enemy escapes on 135 health?

It is better in 90% of situations to max X over torrent.
Mushi puts 3 points into X marks, does that mean he is bad at landing torrents? No, it means that X marks is a more usefull spell.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PiNG- » February 14, 2014 8:03pm | Report
For your first question, it all really depends on preference as Manofchalk mentioned. Usually if i'm getting assists and not dying during ganks i'd go for the null just for the extra bit of mana, but if i notice i'm being focused alot or dying. I'll go for the bracers.

tl;dr : Bracers = defensive, null talisman = Offensive.

PiNG-

Notable (3)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved