Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Possibly starting a stream?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Videos & Streams » Possibly starting a stream? 21 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 23, 2011 4:41pm | Report
No, in the actual game. Not the stream.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Triumph117 » December 23, 2011 5:44pm | Report
Disclaimer: PC's work via magic as far as I'm concerned, so take any tech help I offer with a grain of salt.

As far as I know that's pretty normal. When you stream you're sending alot of traffic through your network. About all you can do to fix it is to either lower your streaming bitrate (sacrificing quality) or try and mess with some router settings to prioritise game packets (I have no idea how to do this, or if it'll impact on stream quality). Higher quality network equipment *might* improve the situation, but that's a question for someone with better tech knowledge than me.

Personally I just play with it. I get about 250ping base to USW servers, streaming adds approximately another second delay on top of that.

Triumph117

Notable (11)
Steam: www.twitch.tv/dotacast
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 23, 2011 6:30pm | Report
Quoted:

Disclaimer: PC's work via magic as far as I'm concerned, so take any tech help I offer with a grain of salt.

As far as I know that's pretty normal. When you stream you're sending alot of traffic through your network. About all you can do to fix it is to either lower your streaming bitrate (sacrificing quality) or try and mess with some router settings to prioritise game packets (I have no idea how to do this, or if it'll impact on stream quality). Higher quality network equipment *might* improve the situation, but that's a question for someone with better tech knowledge than me.

Personally I just play with it. I get about 250ping base to USW servers, streaming adds approximately another second delay on top of that.

Eww /:

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ZenithOfChaos » December 23, 2011 9:26pm | Report
You might be able to prioritize more packets by way of gamebooster or some sort of similar software that optimizes your computer for gaming. Personally, I'm in the same boat as Triumph and am fairly certain that if one opens up the back of a PC, ghosts will fly out and curse you by voiding your warranty. I'd also suggest defragging your computer to optimize overall performance.

ZenithOfChaos

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 23, 2011 9:40pm | Report
I defrag every week, so that isn't it. Talked with Sarc, I think it is just my bandwidth. I can get max about 0.5mbps upload, accord to him 1.5 is what you need for a really smooth stream.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ZenithOfChaos » December 23, 2011 10:19pm | Report
Yeah, that'd be the problem. Such a shame, it's one of the most annoying ones to deal with.

ZenithOfChaos

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 24, 2011 1:15am | Report
Actually not only that I did notice you're streaming at a HD resolution, you could try lowering it and see if that reduces the beating your bandwidth would be taking. HD streams do require a high end connection to maintain.

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Triumph117 » December 24, 2011 7:21am | Report
Atlas wrote:

I defrag every week, so that isn't it. Talked with Sarc, I think it is just my bandwidth. I can get max about 0.5mbps upload, accord to him 1.5 is what you need for a really smooth stream.

Woah yeah that is definitely way too low.

Triumph117

Notable (11)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 26, 2011 4:10am | Report
There's no way 1.5s lag while streaming is normal. People would not stream during important matches if that was the case.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Run it with nothing going, then run it while streaming, then find a test site located close to your stream host and run it against that. Compare the results, it should tell you a lot.

If Triumph wants to try the same tests you could compare results.

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Triumph117 » December 26, 2011 4:46am | Report
Whenever I used to stream bad company, my ping would jump from 50 to 150. Not much of an issue though, used to playing on American servers.

Bear in mind I'm in one of those aforementioned countries with ****ty internet (Australia). I have to pay through the nose to get even a semi decent connection that isn't even as good as I'd like. Kinda why we have so few streamers out this way.

Triumph117

Notable (11)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved