Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Possibly starting a stream?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Videos & Streams » Possibly starting a stream? 21 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 22, 2011 8:35am | Report
Not sure. I've never even watched streams, but I've long considered doing one. What is the best site to stream on? The only sites I know of are Twitch.tv, Justin.tv and own3d.tv. Also, how do I go about setting it up? Is the software free? Is it hard easy? Any tips or pointers would be helpful.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 22, 2011 8:45am | Report
twitch.tv and justin.tv are actually the same site. justin.tv created twitch.tv as a spinoff to cater specifically to gamers.

own3d.tv seems to be slightly more popular but, I haven't really heard any particular complaints about either service.

One thing own3d does that twitch doesn't is allow multiple streams under one channel. So if you and a few friends wanted to get together you could share a channel, which I assume means sharing the potential partner status and such.

Also own3d.tv uses QuakeNet IRC for its chat while twitch.tv has its own web chat. There are pros and cons to both, but twitch.tv requires you to have an account to join the chat, whereas QuakeNet IRC does not, and you can use any IRC client to connect to it.

Neither of those are particularly compelling reasons to choose one service over the other though. That's about all the help I can offer since I've never streamed, myself ;P

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 22, 2011 8:48am | Report
I never like the QuakeNet stuff, it seemed really outdated and you have to like send messages to a bot or something to make an account? Really confusing since there is no site you can just "register" on.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 22, 2011 9:04am | Report
/recommend twitch.tv easy to setup and easy to maintain

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by GGplay » December 22, 2011 9:24am | Report
I dont know how to set up on twitch but i stream on own3d and this is easy to set up too. You find a easy guide on google if you search for "how to stream on own3d" and its free.

GGplay

Notable (5)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 22, 2011 8:51pm | Report
I was wrong, apparently twitch is overall more popular;

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=t&b=ffffff&n=666666&r=2y&u=own3d.tv&&u=twitch.tv&

We just get a lot of stream submissions from own3d, maybe it's specifically popular with DotA2/LoL streamers. A lot of the pros stream on own3d for some reason.

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by virago » December 22, 2011 11:04pm | Report
My 2 cents (for what it's worth)... one thing I've noticed in my responsibility for adding the live stream links to the sites is that when a user who uses own3D is offline, it simply shows 'user offline', where as with twitch, you can select a photo or otherwise creative image to be displayed on your profile instead.

Thought this was worth mentioning.

virago

Notable (5)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Triumph117 » December 22, 2011 11:21pm | Report
They both have their pros and cons, we use twitch.tv mostly because we're more familiar with the crew behind it. Tobi uses own3d for similar reasons.

As for streaming software I use https://www.xsplit.com/. Xsplit is in beta so it's currently free to use, when it goes retail you'll have to pay for licensing but as far as I know that's no time soon.

The software is reletively easy to use, question is what are you PC specs like and what's your internet upload speed like? Streaming is reletively resource intensive on both accounts so if you're using dated hardware or live somewhere with ****ty net (Australia) you may have some issues.

Triumph117

Notable (11)
Steam: www.twitch.tv/dotacast
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » December 23, 2011 12:34pm | Report
If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

I got my stream up and running, problem is, when I play a game I get maybe 1.5 second delay. It's not a frame rate drop, just delay.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 23, 2011 4:28pm | Report
That's intended, there will always be a delay in what you do and it appearing online. As you can understand it takes time to upload to your channel and that delay is that time.

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved