Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Time to end Rat Dota?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Time to end Rat Dota? 30 posts - page 2 of 3

Poll Question:

What should be done about Rat Dota?
Squeek Squeak, leave us rats alone! (Do Nothing)
Illusions do no damage to buildings
At least one enemy must be present
Increase backdoor protection
Illusions provide a bounty of some kind (gold/xp)
Something else...
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » April 30, 2014 9:10am | Report
The topic title is misleading, you talk of illusion pushing yet the topic name critisizes a whole gameplay option.

Illusion pushing might seem as a slow cancer(unintended pun) slowly chipping away at towers but heroes like kunka or ember are a great counter to it.

Ember can just keep a remnant in lane tp clear the wave and return.

Only PL can really spam multiple illusions in EXTREME succesion.

Other counter would be Kotl who can just recall allies after they are done counterpushing
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » April 30, 2014 9:19am | Report

To me dota has 3 main core playstyles, each a vertex of a triangle. With the preceding a counter to succeeding strat.
A.Teamfight oriented: 5v5 fights, win through teamwork, always fight with 5 guys.
B.Splitpush oriented: The so called RAT. The team takes fights at a disadvantage while the pusher goes to work.
C.Ganking oriented: You bring out the likes of (in pubs) Spirit Breaker, or (in competetive) Bounty Hunter and you snuff out the rats.

This is mostly true. The second primary playstyle is turtle, though, not split push. Split push is a variant on turtle strats where you draft a pusher rather than a hard carry. It's much harder to draft against than a basic 4-protect-1, because splitpush lineups can usually out-teamfight a gank lineup and out-push/farm a teamfight lineup.

Naga and TB are the only real issues, thanks to illusion spam. PL's weak enough already. For Naga I'd like to see some combination of base dmg nerf, weakened/removed riptide+illusion interaction, and ulti CD increase. TB's meta should 100% be an ultimate (it's better than DK's ultimate before level 16), and maybe have a bit less uptime.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 30, 2014 9:22am | Report
I like this suggestion more - if the range was say 500, it would force the base hero to be much closer (and therefore more vulnerable to counterattack) in order to get the job done. Would the restriction apply to Soul Keeper and Naga Siren too? (they have 30-32 secs of illusion time). I think it would have to apply to Manta Style, but wouldn't work for illusion runes (which aren't really the problem anyway). How about Chaos Knight as his ulti has a 140 second cooldown at all levels?

The big issue I can see with this is that it would effect their farming speeds quite badly - good illusion hero players with say a Radiance often split farm over a wide area (a few jungle camps and a lane for example). This is quite a big mechanical change for them and they'd probably need a fair amount of rebalancing.

The change I'm thinking of would be that base buildings have the "illusion immune" ability (in the same way T2s and above have backdoor protection, but T1s dont - hell you could even make it part of the Backdoor Protection ability) - they can't be damaged by illusions. A small change, but it would prevent this tactic from working. Icefrog has previous here by nerfing the Wall of Replica scepter upgrade.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » April 30, 2014 10:33am | Report
Well here's the flaw in that. The first suggestion just makes it go from turtle paced pushes to snail status. The push would require the illusion hero to have a Radiance, the illusions would be sent out the same way they do now but would need the minions to be pushed very fast, followed by the illusion taking the highground and relying on the creeps to do the damage while the illusion either pulls the next enemy wave away from the tower or tanks the tower shots. It would make need to TP in minimal but at the same time still be chunking away slowly at the tower. I believe making a hero be present within the push would be the most viable, Treant Protector and Blink Daggers would be the go to for safe pushes. Probably see Timbersaw against these lineups, the AoE damage and the ability to clear the 1000 AoE of trees around the tower would be a good defense against illusion based heroes. The likes of NP and Clinkz would still be strong. Increasing backdoor protection would most likely do more harm then good as it'd make team rush pushes a lot more difficult after a winning a teamfight, as well as slowing most single split pushers down by a lot.

Cammando's suggestions are more reserved nerfs, 10% less damage isn't that bad. I think having an illusion degrade greatly hurts the purpose of some illusions though. It limits scouting and is a dead give away to enemies that it is an illusion, which limits the ability to bait.

I think nerfing the ability to split push isn't necessarily needed though, it is as you said more of a focus on illusion heroes that maintain the split push so safely while being able to be a big presence in a fight. A Naga Siren can easily throw her 3 illusions out and split push while TPing back, using Requiem, Manta, and then proceeding to turn the fight around. Whereas a Tinker or an NP have to decide whether they want to fully commit and hope their team can turtle, or TP back and teamfight. While Necronomicons can still commit to the push they're definitely more risky as you won't have them off cooldown if you return to defend, and since you're an Int hero their right-click isn't as effective as a Naga or PL going for any of their items.

I'm thinking along the lines of adding the regen that other structures have to towers that sit on the highground, it improves the turtling gamestyle, discourages denying the towers, and requires a more dedicated pusher to apply damage to the tower. Combined with Lich or Treant its a pretty good defense. Which I think having a mechanic that diminishes the snowball of teams after the tier 2 pushes is a good thing, it allows a little recoup, and extends the time in which the enemy actually gets to start harassing the ranged Rax if defended properly.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » April 30, 2014 10:38am | Report
Eh i dont think necro is refreshable by rearm mate. Correct me if i am wrong.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » April 30, 2014 10:45am | Report

Eh i dont think necro is refreshable by rearm mate. Correct me if i am wrong.

No, you're right. For some reason I was thinking Just BKB and Refresher Orb. Which fortifies my point even more, thanks man. I added my own suggestion for defending against illusions, I know a lot of people won't like it because it has a mentality of arts games outside of Dota, but its a small enough change where its not like a game of Smite where even if they push down and are crushing you the Respawn Timers will actually hurt them and make it harder to push. Or league where XP is compensated and the respawn on inhibitors are extremely low. Its just a minor mechanic extended to all the highground structures, a mechanic you can take advantage of that's small enough to not make a difference if your team doesn't help it along.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » April 30, 2014 1:45pm | Report
If you want Rad Doto to end you are aware of that we need Techies for that.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » April 30, 2014 3:12pm | Report
F.E.A.R.0 wrote:

If you want Rad Doto to end you are aware of that we need Techies for that.

Even more of a reason to split push with illusions and Necrobook.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » April 30, 2014 4:09pm | Report
Had the best split push line up today. Was Chen with Necro 3 and HotD. So two Centaurs, a Wildken, and Wolf with my two necro minions.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TBH.Nemesis » May 6, 2014 3:52pm | Report
samukobo wrote:

Are you perhaps referencing to how Fnatic Slooooooowly crushed C9 in ESL with Naga Siren, slowly sending in illusions to gradually kill buildings? :3

Alright, so I have to disagree on the illusion bounty thing (hard to balance considering that it would need a really small bounty which would basically be meaningless. Why care about 16 gold as a Phantom Lancer if you get to reduce their tier 3 tower's HP by 20%? But a big bounty would kind of make illusions really bad, and that's kind of a waste)

Buildings taking no damage unless heroes are present kill the meaning of creep push, so it would make creeps really bad. Controlling the creep equilibrium would be practically meaningless mid to late game.

Backdoor protection change is decent I guess... can't say much without the actual values to balance this nerf to rat dota.

Illusions not doing damage to buildings? Meeeh. Would make Chaos Knight even weaker :(

I did not like how the game I mentioned above ended as well. A solution would probably be something like "Illusions do no damage to buildings excluding Tombstone unless the original hero is in (400 to 600 I guess?) range of that illusion".

I would like to hear other opinions on this.

EDIT: Ab4ddon raised some good points. I still do agree that slowly whittling down buildings with illusions is not exactly the best thing ever, but as he says "rat dota" as a concept should still be strong as always.

I do like the idea of how when Illusions attack towers/buildings, the original hero MUST be within a range of say, 750 to 1000 units.
The Support, Nemesis!

TBH.Nemesis

Steam: Nemesis

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved