Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Health Regen vs. Lifesteal

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Health Regen vs. Lifesteal 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » April 23, 2013 10:27am | Report
What is the basis for whether a hero should purchase straight health regeneration vs lifesteal? Is this action based upon your hero's abilities, type (support, carry, ganker, etc.), item build, or just your play style?

I kinda already have my opinion on this, but I thought it would be beneficial to open this topic up to the community.
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » April 23, 2013 10:56am | Report
Usually,I pick lifesteal for any autoattack based carry(except outworld devourer and Storm Spirit)-(that is usually only AGI carries).

I get regen on heroes that don't rely that much on autoattacks,but they also rely on their skills,when things like Bottle work execently on them.However,there are a few case of hybrids,like Bounty Hunter,where I get both.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zanerax » April 23, 2013 3:15pm | Report
Basically what the above poster said. Any hero that punches creeps a lot will usually find lifesteal better. Otherwise you can probably lean toward regen.

Zanerax

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » April 23, 2013 4:08pm | Report
Another question is health pool vs regen vs lifesteal. Lifesteal requires you dish out plenty of attack damage or it's wasted. Regen is basically good for farming/sustain but doesn't do much for you in a team fight. A big health pool, good damage and lifesteal is the ideal combination for fighting. If you can only afford one of these (say you're a support), I'd go for health pool.

Also Black King Bar is a usual choice with lifesteal - if you're not attacking, you're not healing.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » April 24, 2013 12:27pm | Report
The only reliable regen IMO is the one from Heart of Tarrasque and skills like Shadow Dance or Living Armor, so there is nothing to choose between lifesteal or regen, lifesteal is always better.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MoosetheMonkey » April 24, 2013 1:36pm | Report
DzikaPanda wrote:

The only reliable regen IMO is the one from Heart of Tarrasque and skills like Shadow Dance or Living Armor, so there is nothing to choose between lifesteal or regen, lifesteal is always better.

Not true, not true. You could say that those are the only reliable regen IN BATTLE. Weaving in and out of battle, yes those skills will be invaluable. However, regen is a reliable fallback in a number of cases. Take for example the solo lane Phantom Lancer. Tranquil Boots are a common sight, as are Soul Ring's. It really depends where you need the health, in battle or out.
Also, a Vanguard or Hood of Defiance is much more useful on someone like Axe than a Vladmir's Offering. Per given example, oftentimes the regen items give you useful additional benefits that lifesteal items will not. Anyone who isn't doing a lot of physical damage or a lot of attacks could benefit greatly from regen. It keeps you in lane, in siege, in battle much longer.

MoosetheMonkey

Notable (12)
Steam: chocolaaaaate
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » April 24, 2013 2:23pm | Report
Quoted:

Not true, not true. You could say that those are the only reliable regen IN BATTLE. Weaving in and out of battle, yes those skills will be invaluable. However, regen is a reliable fallback in a number of cases. Take for example the solo lane Phantom Lancer. Tranquil Boots are a common sight, as are Soul Ring's. It really depends where you need the health, in battle or out.
Also, a Vanguard or Hood of Defiance is much more useful on someone like Axe than a Vladmir's Offering. Per given example, oftentimes the regen items give you useful additional benefits that lifesteal items will not. Anyone who isn't doing a lot of physical damage or a lot of attacks could benefit greatly from regen. It keeps you in lane, in siege, in battle much longer.

Yep it's true, I just think that mid/late game if you need any kind of hp restoration lifesteal takes priority over regen, cause that's the moment where team fights/ganks occur and regen will give you nothing in that 5-10 seconds of battle, when lifesteal can let you survive if your dmg is high enough. Also even if some of heroes can't benefit from lifesteal, you still don't build them into regen, just some for early game survivability. Regen should be just bonus to your build, I guess there isn't any straight regen build.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » May 3, 2013 3:09am | Report
DzikaPanda wrote:

Yep it's true, I just think that mid/late game if you need any kind of hp restoration lifesteal takes priority over regen, cause that's the moment where team fights/ganks occur and regen will give you nothing in that 5-10 seconds of battle, when lifesteal can let you survive if your dmg is high enough. Also even if some of heroes can't benefit from lifesteal, you still don't build them into regen, just some for early game survivability. Regen should be just bonus to your build, I guess there isn't any straight regen build.

agreed. Regen is better in the laning phase while lifesteal is better in teamfight-situations as it provides somewhat of a healing"burst".

1 other thing to mention, is that most lifesteal items are damage-oriented while regen usually is combined with defensive stats.

The great exception here is Helm of the Dominator. I dont really like lifesteal items in general (i dont know why), but i am a big fan of this item. It gives +DMG +Armor , quite much lifesteal and its active can also be very useful (i always stack ancients with it, while farming somewhere else).

Also, lifesteal vs regen is a very hero dependent choice --> some heroes are just to dependent on a certain orb effect, that lifesteal isnt an option anymore (one can always argue with saying that Vladimir's Offering isnt a orb, but that item can be bought from any1 in ur team anyway).

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved