Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Would anyone evaulate me and give me pointers?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Would anyone evaulate me and give me pointers? 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by heralul » September 20, 2012 1:06pm | Report
Hello everyone.

I just bought Dota 2 one week ago and so far I'm enjoying myself a great deal.
As with anything else I do that I enjoy, i wish to get better at it.

My goal is in this game to get to Very High. Would anyone please check out my game as Vengeful Spirit and tell me what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong and just some easy tips and comments on my playstyle?

It would be much apprecaited.

Match ID: 42258407

heralul

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » September 20, 2012 1:37pm | Report
I'll check it out soon and come back with some tips.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
Steam: Bugger
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dr.D » September 20, 2012 2:51pm | Report
Here are some things that I noticed:
  • You blocked the long lane creeps at the beginning, which can work out if the opponent blocks their creeps too. However, they didn't do it (very well at least), so their creeps ended up under your tower range, causing your lane to push.

• Your Magic Missile usage was very erratic. Most of the time early game, you used it when it was not possible at all to get a kill (your Clinkz picked up Wind Walk as his first skill). Mana management and timing are very important skills to learn.

• You tried to gank mid lane in broad daylight through the river. If you're going to gank mid lane, it's best to do it at night, through their own river entrance, or with Smoke of Deceit if you have it. Also, Outworld Destroyer can't really assist you with the gank too much due to his lack of early damage and CC.

• Your first item was a Sage's Mask, which you ferried over via courier. I would argue that getting some early Observer Wards and/or upgrading your courier into a Flying Courier would have been more important.

• Your team had a normal courier until 22 minutes into the game. That doesn't happen usually.

• After the Sage's Mask, you ferried over a Ring of Regen to make Soul Ring. Both of these items can be bought from the Side Shop on either lane, so unless you can't access it (which you easily could have), you're just wasting the courier's time.

• You almost never used the Soul Ring, at least not nearly enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

• The one time I saw you pull, the enemy wave was already close to your tower and pushing. Usually you only want to pull when your creep wave is close to their tower.

• Since you didn't stack before pulling, your creeps killed the neutral camp and merged with the next wave, causing your lane to push outwards again. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but since you guys weren't aiming to push their tower, all it does is make you more vulnerable.

• You only bought two sets of Observer Wards the entire game from what I can tell, and you didn't exactly place them in prime locations either. For most of the game, both teams were pretty much in the dark when it came to ward vision.

• You bought Sentry Wards yet never used them. There also wasn't much reason for your team to buy Sentry Wards in this particular match anyways.

• Both you and Treant Protector bought a Mekansm. Since the effects don't stack, you need to coordinate with your team on who is buying it. Otherwise, you're basically just throwing away the 2306 gold.

But don't let the long list discourage you. Just keep practicing, and you'll get better.

Dr.D
<Formatting Wizard>

Memorable (80)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » September 20, 2012 2:59pm | Report
Oh my, Dr. D beat me to it. As a support other players expect you to...
  • Purchase the Animal Courier and upgrade it as quickly as possible
  • Use Observer Wards to provide vision to your team for set up ganks and to prevent getting ganked
  • Buy supportive items such as Mekansm however make sure no one else is making the same item ie 2
    Mekansms on one team is not suitable
  • Avoid taking kills from vital team players such as carries. Supports get enough gold just from
    assists

Also what you can do as an extension to your role is that you could get into the habit of counter warding using Sentry Wards. This will shut off enemy vision of the map and make it easier for your team to roam the map undetected. As Dr.D said above you may also want to e careful with pulling creeps as this will unintentionally push your lane and believe me it's not something you want when your farming early on.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
Steam: Bugger
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved