Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Orion, the Stellar Nomad – [HCC]

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Orion, the Stellar Nomad – [HCC] 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by freelance_fox » December 30, 2017 11:17pm | Report

​Orion, the Stellar Nomad v1.0

"Your goddess takes form."

Intelligence, Radiant

Support / Nuker / Disabler / Jungle / Carry

Summary

Description:

Orion is an Invoker-style Intelligence hero based on drawing power from neutral creeps, able to control creeps like other classical junglers but also transform herself into Avatars, empowered forms derived from either mythical beasts or the neutrals she can find each game. Each avatar form possesses one basic and one ultimate ability, ​and Orion has access to over 20 forms in total. With more spells on tap than Invoker, Orion would struggle to cast them all if not for her second ability, Spectral Projection, allowing her to conveniently make any allied or neutral unit she can get her hands on take on Orion's current form.

Show Summary of Abilities

Background Info

Show Background Info

Attributes

STR: 17 + 1.75
AGI: 19 + 2
INT: 22 + 3.75

Movespeed: 315
Turn Rate: 0.6
Range: 525
Projectile Speed: 900
Vision: 1800/800
BAT: 1.7
Base Damage: 36-40
Base Armor: 0.75
Attack Duration: 0.3 + 0.7s
Cast Duration: 0.45 + 0.35s

Skills

Talents:

Level 10: +250 Mana OR +125 Attack Range
Level 15: Astral Flow Creeps 30s Respawn Time OR +50 Damage
Level 20: +100% Perks from Avatar OR +120 GPM
Level 25: Avatar No Cooldown OR +30 All Stats

Q: AVATAR no target

Orion transforms her body into an avatar, gaining additional unique abilities as well as potentially changing her primary attribute. Orion begins with a Sprite avatar with a unique balanced primary attribute and may select from additional avatars to transform into after leveling her ultimate. Pressing Q again transforms Orion back, and after leveling ultimate toggling R selects her target avatar form.
Perks from Primary Attribute while Shapeshifted: 0/50/100/200%
Transformation Time: 1.0/0.8/0.6/0.4s
[ <cd> 24/18/12/6s ] [ <mana> 150 ]

Base Avatar (until level 6):
  • Sprite — Balanced Melee
    D: SLASH toggle, passive - Jumps to the target unit and performs a melee attack before returning back to the initial position (900 cast range) <cd> 3s <mana> 30
    F: SNEAK ATTACK no target - Grants nearby allies invisibility, evasion and free pathing for a short duration. (400 radius, 3/4/5/6s duration, 40/50/60/70% evasion, 0.5s fade delay ) <cd> 40s <mana> 75
Notes:
The balanced primary attribute for Orion's sprite avatar form gives 33% of the perks from each primary attribute.
Avatars have the same total health and mana, health and mana percentage, and armor/movement speed/etc as Orion, but may take on a different primary attribute and/or attack range.

W: STELLAR PROJECTION target allied/neutral creep

Forces the target allied or neutral unit to take Orion's current form, giving Orion control of them as well. If the transformed unit dies Orion receives a bounty and experience, but otherwise the projection times out if left inactive for a period of time, or reverts to its previous form after a max duration of activity. Projected avatars may use abilities, but projections of Sylph herself may not.
Cast Range: 300/500/700/900
Max Projection Duration: 30/60/90/120s
Inactivity Timeout Period: 15s
[ <cd> 18/17/16/15s ] [ <mana> 75/50/25/0 ]
Notes:
Casting Stellar Projection on a unit already under the spell's effect will overwrite the form and update its duration.
Projections of avatars do not share cooldowns with Sylph and thus, like Arc Warden’s Tempest Double, allow her to use her spells multiple times in a row. ​Projections may not use items, however.
Killing Orion removes all of her projections instantly.
Projections take on the same health and mana percentage as the target at time of casting.

E: ASTRAL FLOW target ally/neutral unit, passive

Levels up each avatar's unique ability (F) passively. When targeted on an ally increases their health and mana by a percentage for a duration, and when targeted on a neutral creep Orion permanently learns how to recall that creep type as an Avatar and gains permanent control of the target creep. The listed hotkeys can be used with Orion's ultimate to change the current Astral Flow avatar, displayed as the spell icon. The hotkeys may also be used directly onto the Astral Flow icon to change it.
<aghs> Aghanim's Upgrade: Astral Flow can target ancients.
Cast Range: 750
Ally Bonus Health: 25/30/35/40%
Ally Bonus Mana: 10/15/20/25%
Bonus Mana/Health Duration: 60s
Max Astral Creeps: 3/4/5/6 at a time
[ <cd> 120/90/60/30s ] [ <mana> 60 ]

List Neutral Creep Avatars:

Notes:
Orion may only control one of each type of creep simultaneously. When she exceeds either the maximum limit for Astral Flow creeps or for a type of creep the oldest creep dies.
After taking her Astral creep respawn talent, any currently living creeps will begin to respawn. Dead Astral Flow creeps still count against all limits, and total creep age including respawns determines which creep is older for all checks.

R: AWAKENING ultimate, toggle, passive

Unlocks new avatars that can be selected by toggling through the options using R. While in any Avatar form Orion gains bonus health and mana for each unit under her control. Each time Orion levels up Awakening, creates a bonus projection of her new Avatar in front of Orion for free using her current level of Stellar Projection.
Avatar Bonus Health: +5/10/20% of each summoned unit's current health
Avatar Bonus Mana: +3/4/5% per summoned unit
[ <cd> 0s ] [ <mana> 0 ]

List Awakening Avatars:

Notes:
Toggling R will go through the available avatars (up to 5) in the order sprite → dryad → ram → chimaera → astral flow creep, where when the astral flow option is selected using any of the assigned hotkeys directly onto the Astral Flow icon or directly after toggling to the Astral Flow setting for Awakening will set that creep avatar as the current selection.

Changelog

Version 1.0 (December 2017):

freelance_fox

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AttackHelicopter » December 31, 2017 4:06am | Report
Jesus Christ, I just read 2 pages of Macbeth, anyways make use of spoilers dude, we are not on the subreddit

How to make dem spoilers

So, the overall motif/gameplay is basically kinda like super Infest because you can be the creep you targeted with Q and then you can still do things as your own using W and E is an ability so you can level up the ability of the creep, with R basically being some kind of booster ability. Now on the gameplay perspective, I can see this to be a little bit OP/*** to play against because almost all neutral creeps can provide decent versatility than most heroes, that's why heroes like Chen and Enchantress can be a pain in the *** to play against (provided in the hand of a good player). Hero is commendable as well because it provided a new way to make use of the neutral creeps that is yes done before with infest and all but distances itself from that.

Questions and Insight.

Q: On the Q, I'm kinda divided with the things, because basically at the start you get no bonus from whatever attribute you'll change, so maybe if you go on to be a creep that is strength base you only get that creep's base stats (damage to health and whatnot) and then, later on, you get double which is nice, I'm divided because I think its a bad thing to transform at min 1 because really if you get lucky you will get a Centaur and badaboom you get to be a Discount Bradwarden. Also, you just transform right? it doesn't do some wubbly magic to your items?

W: So it's just a targetable Tempest Double?

E: Its kinda Good but the passive should be an innate, really because this won't do any jacksh*t at all anyways if you don't have the Q and all and also how does the leveling happen? Does the level of the ability levels up with you? or do they get to share an upgrade point?

R: Again this is a steroid ability (ability that just gives a certain boost and all e.g God's Strength and Chemical Rage). Also Does it work universally? like if I'm currently a creep who is agility I get to be something like intel based? or it's it 1 way where intel is intel, strength is strength yada yada?

Overall: This is a greatly designed hero, pretty fun, though again need to see this thing in action to be proven.

AttackHelicopter

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The Magnus Magus » December 31, 2017 10:47am | Report
I don't know how well this would work as a hero.

The thing that makes invoker, meepo, and heroes with extra abilities in general interesting is through the combos that they have. Invokers ten spells can be cast in so many combinations and that makes them so interesting. This hero, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much in the way of combos, besides memorizing which creeps have stuns so you can quickly permastun a hero. But memorizing the order of buttons you should press isn't that interesting.

It seems like you could have 6 or 7 better-than-creeps controlled at once with the W!?! What is with that?

Also, this hero has worse formatting than my entry, and that is a problem.

While this would be a huge change, I wonder if completely removing the "avatar from creeps" thing in favor of 10 avatars that combine the best elements from the current ones to have good spells and where 2 are unlocked at the start, 2 from aghs and 2 more per level of awakening.

Also, I don't understand how the stats from creeps works.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

My hero and item ideas!

The Magnus Magus

Notable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by freelance_fox » December 31, 2017 1:47pm | Report
Thanks for the replies already guys, I've made several hours of small edits getting it all finished last night but I don't doubt that there are areas of the hero where balance is off... for example I've been going over the possibilities with maxed W and Octarine just trying to make sure I didn't break the game and I think 10 Projections at once is a bit much, the issue is I have no clue whether the activity requirement actually makes it balanced like I was hoping. My thought with Projections is that you probably only make an army of them before a big fight you're planning to use their spells in combination, so you can plan your combos that way. It also depends on which creeps you found too of course. Anyway I keep feeling like the micro required to keep all those units doing something useful (6 normal Astral creeps and 10 Projections is the most you could do without Arcane Runes/Refreshers) would be prohibitive, but I can't be sure of that can I?

Thanks for the reminder on Spoilers

So about the questions Attack Helicopter...

Q: So one thing that might get lost is that she can only use the Sprite form until level 6, so if she wants to use that form for last hitting at 900 range she can, but otherwise it's a pretty static laning stage for her if she's played that way. If you wanted to Jungle her you'd start with E and then get W at level 2. Anyway the point is that she controls creeps with her E, and can make a copy of either herself (that can't use abilities) or her Sprite (which can use avatar abilities) at level 2 using W, which is another way to clear a jungle camp or control a lane since you can cast it on allied creeps and get a bounty from them if they die. Using Q at level 1 to last hit would leave her with only her base damage, which is decently high for what it's worth.

W: So basically it's Tempest Double that has to be targeted on a neutral creep or ally, and doesn't work on items. No health cost either. It's a pseudo-deny on allied creeps and you could cast it on the large creep of a camp to clear it and then run it into an enemy creep wave or let the timer run out and then control the big creep with E.

E: The thing with the passive being attached to her E was I started with this idea, of a basic passive making the Avatar abilities scale, but I realized it had to have an active component which is why the ability got so complicated. The reason I think it works this way is you have to prioritize either Avatar strength or number of units she can control early on, so around levels 13-15 when she finishes maxing out whatever ability you prioritized least she should be feeling a lot stronger. That's partly why I compare her to Invoker for scaling.

R: Just to be clear the R doesn't do anything when activated, it toggles between icons selecting with Avatar form you'll be. You don't unlock the ability to toggle it til 6 but I imagine it might start out with the Sprite's icon. The passive portion is probably overtuned right now but she basically turns into a raid boss if she has an army of units with her, I think some testing will reveal it might be OP right now. Basically the design choice was to give her limited utility besides her Avatars, but a pretty strong amount of bonus health and mana.

@The Magnus Magus

Quoted:
While this would be a huge change, I wonder if completely removing the "avatar from creeps" thing in favor of 10 avatars that combine the best elements from the current ones to have good spells and where 2 are unlocked at the start, 2 from aghs and 2 more per level of awakening.

This is not a bad idea at all but I'm definitely looking to keep the 1 to 1 nature of the number of avatars to types of creeps on the map thing, I just think maybe allowing her to have multiple forms earlier could be a huge and fun change. Right now her level 1-6 plays more like a Jungler, with her only lane control being W basically.

The stats from the creeps work exactly like Morphling does if he changes forms, you just gain or lose perk bonuses based on your level of Avatar. You lose all bonus damage from perks at level 1 Avatar, but if you change to Agility you use that stat as your +damage and gain movement speed and armor. The one thing that isn't the same as Morph of course is that you don't regain health with transforming back like Morphling's ult, it's all percentage HP-based. Your max HP for this hero can be affected by her E's active and R's passive effet, which is based on your summoned units. Did that clear it up?

If you want to actually suggest some kind of formatting change feel free to do so constructively, if you didn't notice I have exactly 1 post here so try being nice maybe? I've looked around at the other entries a bit but I always favor readable text over any kind of template native to one forum or another since I post my stuff now around 3-4 places...

EDIT: Almost forgot this part, whoops...

Quoted:
The thing that makes invoker, meepo, and heroes with extra abilities in general interesting is through the combos that they have. Invokers ten spells can be cast in so many combinations and that makes them so interesting. This hero, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much in the way of combos, besides memorizing which creeps have stuns so you can quickly permastun a hero.

So last night I spent a good amount of time trying to map out all the combos and make sure it all seemed kosher, it's complicated as hell. I don't want the hero to be incomprehensible but frankly this contest is perfect for a concept like this IMO and that's why I chose to put up this hero now. I've been working on the idea of a summoner/transforming Invoker hero forever and I wanted to get it out there. Anyway, here's a quick paste of my notes from last night about all the spells you have: https://pastebin.com/2HjfDmVR. Basically there are 4 kits with stuns and 3 with roots, no silences or anything like that, but just about everything else, and a high number of physical burst spells, so there would be some unique ways to build her. I expect she could be played fully as an Agi/Str hero. Anyway the combos could take a while to figure out, but just for example I came up with Ogre Slam -> Ram Soothing Bleat -> Prowler Petrify last night, that would be a late-game example after you have Aghs. The fact that there are so many combos is why I wanted to make this type of hero, but slimming it down and making it less daunting is definitely something I would like to see yeah.

freelance_fox

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved