Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

When should I do what?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » When should I do what? 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by soma1294 » May 13, 2013 12:21am | Report
Hello Dotafire

Recently I noticed, that I fail at improving my knowledge of the game in sense of skill.
I really have a problem with knowing when to do what.
For example:
- When should my team push their lanes and when not?

- If we have no vision of the enemy team (even though we have wards up) should we be more agressive, because they are just turtling? (This point happens often and I normally don't know what to do at this point)

- When I play in the Jungle from the start, when is a good moment to get out of it and start fighting with my team?

- If I'm the carry and behind with my farm/items, should I still start participating in teamfights or just farm?

Thanks for the help

soma1294

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » May 13, 2013 1:53am | Report
Unfortunately there aren't simple answers to these questions - it depends on the situation! Here is some general guidance:

- Pushing. The best time to push is after you've just won a team fight or ganked one or more of their heroes. This gives you the chance to take their buildings cheaply and easily. You need to push aggressively if your team has better early-mid game, and especially if you have a weaker late game.

- Vision. Are they a team of gankers, or a team of carries? If they have hard carries like Anti-Mage or Faceless Void you need to be aggressive or they'll get big and out of control. If they're aggressive gankers, careful, they might have smoked!

- Jungling. Totally depends on your hero and build. If you're a hard carry with a Hand of Midas, you only really want to come out to pick up kills or an easy tower push. If you're a hero like Enigma or Chen you want to be out and pushing/ganking as soon as you have your basic equipment - whenever opportunities arise, but certainly by level 6 or so.

- Badly farmed carry. Again, totally depends on the situation - if you're a hard carry, you only want to fight when you can pick up easy kills. Then again, if your team is behind, you might have to fight anyway - especially if you have a useful team fight power like Chronosphere. If your team is doing ok, you can maybe afford to miss some fights.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by soma1294 » May 13, 2013 7:56am | Report
Thanks for the reply, that really helps me to understand the game better.

soma1294

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved