Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Ready to play live?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Ready to play live? 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Martinmc78 » October 16, 2013 5:35am | Report
Hi all new player wanting to go live

Ive currently put in around 30 hours playing local matches against bots using Enigma and Broodmother odd choices for starting heroes I know but I like just picked them at random and started looking at guides for them. Ive got to the point where I can get a victory about 50% of the time with the bots on hard and realised that most of the losses im getting on hard are down to the bots on my team not pulling their weight.

I understand bots wont play the same as humans but would you think ive played enough to start playing online without being called a noob every 5 seconds?

Martinmc78

Steam: m.mc78
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » October 16, 2013 6:48am | Report
Remember one rule - it's always your team's fault.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » October 16, 2013 7:04am | Report
Of course not. If you haven't done any real games, then people from your matchmaking level will constantly call you a noob, regardless on how well you do. Unless you get a large amount of kills and zero deaths, people will always find a way to blame you.

You are at a crucial stage right now. Either you get better, not caring about the derogatory comments you receive, or give in to the community and become one of them.

Just keep winning until you get to a much better place. For now, keep playing at human matches.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Martinmc78 » October 16, 2013 7:11am | Report
DzikaPanda wrote:

Remember one rule - it's always your team's fault.

I see what your getting at but I will only apportion blame when its warranted.

If the bots actually push and start taking towers down then its fine - but when ive pushed mid solo to the last tower with broodmother and am sitting there harassing 3-4 bot heroes at the top of the lane you would expect the bots on your team to start pushing the other towers 15 minutes into a game. Im not sure but it seems the hard setting ramps up the enemy AI while reducing friendly AI making you do more yourself.

Martinmc78

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Martinmc78 » October 16, 2013 7:20am | Report
samukobo wrote:

Of course not. If you haven't done any real games, then people from your matchmaking level will constantly call you a noob, regardless on how well you do. Unless you get a large amount of kills and zero deaths, people will always find a way to blame you.

You are at a crucial stage right now. Either you get better, not caring about the derogatory comments you receive, or give in to the community and become one of them.

Just keep winning until you get to a much better place. For now, keep playing at human matches.

Thanks

I wasn't expecting to not be called a noob at all and I don't mind a bit of banter. Was just asking to see if putting around 30 hours in with a couple of heroes and experimenting with different builds, laning and jungling is enough to do a decent enough job online.

Guess there is only one way im going to find out.

Martinmc78

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PeachFuzz » October 16, 2013 7:37am | Report
30 hours of offline play? You'll be fine.

PeachFuzz

Notable (11)
Steam: PeachFuzz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 16, 2013 9:03am | Report
I'd practise with a more commonly used Hero tbh. Enigma is a jungler, so you'll be leaving someone on your Team 2 vs 1 right from the start, not usually a good idea in Pubs, since you can't guarantee they'll know how to handle it. Broodmother might work fine in low Level Pubs though.

I'd recommend practising with Tanky Heroes that have Stuns, like Dragon Knight or even Skeleton King (you'll want to read a guide for SK first though) since it's easier to lane with Heroes that can take a lot of Damage and still Stun enemies who dare to Tower Dive.

If you're playing with friends, you might want to try some Support Heroes like Lion or Lich. I don't recommend playing Support with 4 other random people, they'll most likely just blame you for everything if they lose...or even if they don't lose, they'll probably still blame you for something.

If you have only played with Bots against Bots, try playing Players Vs. Bots on Easy/Normal difficulty until you get used to playing with Human Teammates. After that you can either go Player vs Player, or see how you fair against Unfair Bots. 8D

P.S. The secret to winning DOTA is to get 4 friends and use Teamwork to win 8D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mirror » October 16, 2013 9:58am | Report
If you are willing to spend 30 hours training you most likely have the dedication to get out of the lowest matchmaking fast.

When playing by yourself you play with 9 random people. If you play 3 games in one day that is 36 random people. If you stopped 36 random people on the street the odds are low they will all be nice. The same applies here. The greatest mechanic in dota is you can mute players. Just click the microphone next to there name on the score board. I use this often when people start throwing blame around.
My lone druid starting items are 12 Iron wood branches, 6 for the hero and 6 for the bear. Even if the bear does not get stats more twigs are OP on any hero.

Mirror

Remarkable (22)
Steam: TC | Shooting Star
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Martinmc78 » October 16, 2013 10:22am | Report
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you could do Players vs Bots so will give that a try first before going PvP.

Martinmc78

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » October 16, 2013 11:51am | Report
As I got internet quite late, I myself played the game offline with bot maps for more than 6 months(warcraft 3 dota).When I got my internet back, I went into games fully knowing what I was doing.Then again, before that(that is when I discovered dota) I was playing Quake mostly.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved