Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Question about illusion

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Question about illusion 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AbsolF » August 22, 2013 10:22pm | Report
Illusion doesn't receive raw bonus damage, but only damage from attribute. But it often receive reduced damage (something like "deal 25% damage" and things). Won't it make a hero like, say, Phantom Lancer, good in theory but in practice not that good, since the damage bonus is small?

Also wouldn't it make the Illusion rune give less damage output than Double Damage?

I've searched everywhere for illusion damage mechanics and found nothing.

AbsolF

Notable (14)
Steam: Seth Rosenwell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » August 23, 2013 4:51am | Report
Illusions from the illu rune are awful and can generally not be used for combat.

Yes, the damage bonus is small. But this depends on the illusion.

Naga Siren, Anti-Mage (with Manta), Phantom Lancer and Spectre have very powerful illusions, simply because they get Diffusal Blade. Therefore, with a level 2 diffusal blade, full illusions and manta, PL can deal like 400 EXTRA damage and mana burn per set of attacks.

Anyway, besides Chaos Knight (which have 100% damage which is great even with using only raw damage AND armlet) the heroes who use illusions offensively usually get something that gets carried to the illusions, like Desolate or Diffusal Blade.

And yes, DD runes are better than illu runes.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » August 23, 2013 8:00am | Report
samukobo wrote:

Naga Siren, Anti-Mage (with Manta), Phantom Lancer and Spectre have very powerful illusions, simply because they get Diffusal Blade. Therefore, with a level 2 diffusal blade, full illusions and manta, PL can deal like 400 EXTRA damage and mana burn per set of attacks.

There's also the benefit of Auras. Most Auras won't necessarily benefit the Illusions, but they can certainly benefit your Allies, e.g. Rubick's Null Field passes to his Illusions and Allies within 900 units of them. You can also annoy your enemies, without you being anywhere near them, e.g. Illusions can use Radiance's Aura. Also, if you have a Gem of True Sight, your Illusions gain True Sight as well.

So in other words, if you have an Aura, a Passive that Illusions gain, or True Sight, then the Illusion Rune can be pretty useful.

AbsolF wrote:

I've searched everywhere for illusion damage mechanics and found nothing.

Dota2Wiki

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PeachFuzz » August 23, 2013 8:49am | Report
Phantom Lancer doesn't just make one or two illusions, he makes a whole bunch. Why is this powerful? Because you can send two illusions to push a lane by themselves and get gold at no risk to yourself. You can send 8 of these babies to push up tier 3 tower and rax while you sit comfortably outside with your team. In a teamfight, the enemy team has a hard time finding the real PL between all the illusions even with a Gem.

With a DD you have to do all this with your actual hero, and if you're PL, that blue DD marker makes it a whole lot easier for the enemy team to kill you.

PeachFuzz

Notable (11)
Steam: PeachFuzz
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AbsolF » August 23, 2013 9:46am | Report
I've read the link to dota 2 wiki, and i mean a page which explains how illusion's damage is calculated. In the page it only tells skills and what carries to illusions.

Anyway, yeah i understand the mechanics now. Thanks.

AbsolF

Notable (14)
Steam: Seth Rosenwell
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved