Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New to game looking for help/bit of hints to champs

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New to game looking for help/bit of hints to champs 21 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Binge22 » December 30, 2013 3:07pm | Report
Played LoL for awhile looking for a different game to play now and again, would rather jump straigh in to playing with people instead of bots to save bad habbits, big helps are item guides ( can get here ) and champs im used to playing, looking for more the solo lane with the tanky roles

and also people to play with, keep in mind new so newer people would be pref!

ps happy new year

Binge22

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 30, 2013 3:18pm | Report
Durable offlane heroes consist of Bristleback, Clockwerk, Elder Titan, Lone Druid, Magnus, Omniknight, Timbersaw, Treant Protector, and Undying.

While you're new you most likely won't be playing a solo lane unless its middle lane, it'll often be lanes comprised of 2-1-2. Sometimes you'll see 3-1-1 which will most often be on the Radiant side, the 3 can either be 3 laners or 2 laners and someone in the jungle. Vice versa for dire side, they might run 1-1-3.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Binge22 » December 30, 2013 3:23pm | Report
haha strange! just had a look at roamer champs, do they stay in lane and just go for kills when possible, or does DotA have all game junglers like LoL? 3 people in one lane seems extreme

Binge22

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 30, 2013 3:33pm | Report
All game Junglers? League doesn't have that. Generally a jungler's speed and time in the jungle is based on the specific hero. Just like how League has champions that come out and gank at level 3 with red buff, or some that sit in the jungle and farm until 6. Its all dependent on what your team needs and when they need it. The jungling heroes are also a lot less straightforward then in League where I can learn 1 jungler and follow the same formula for 5 other similiar champions, in Dota there'll be a lot of diversity.

Its best to just go through the entire roster and read and remember the basics for at least half the heroes. I did this before going into Smite and it helped a lot, especially learning who is mid / jungling / roaming while playing the sidelanes.

3 people in a lane vs a single person can be extreme at sometimes, but its apropriate depending on the picks, and sometimes you have aggressive trilanes, which will match thier 3 to your 3 to make sure your carry doesn't get farm and to get kills. A trilane can fail hard because it requires you to not only take the tower but manage to get kills to make it worthwhile for gold and experience. Ussually the supports in the trilanes will roam mid and TP top for responses to defend aswell. As a new player you need to understand that vision and teleport scrolls are VERY important.

Edit: to clarify a roamer is like a pseudo-jungle. Instead of farming creeps in the jungle though, they'll limit your vision on them and gank, ganking is their source of income and exp. Most of the time these will be supports. Its quite common to have two supports.

Also, because it'll be brought up, very often the dota community will say Dota has no tanks. While technically this isn't true because of people like Axe/Centaur/Timbersaw, but for the most part positioning is far more important and a single right-click carry is a much bigger problem then a marksmen in League depending on the carry. Carries basically have their own time relevance in a game. Most operate best at 30-40 minutes, some are semi-carries and do best 20-35 minutes, and their are some who are relevant between 50-70+ minutes.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Binge22 » December 30, 2013 3:37pm | Report
haha worded that badly, jungling till lane phase is over, but i will take your advice, read about and try to keep track on some heros and try to learn afew very well and then try to spread out from there

Binge22

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 30, 2013 3:42pm | Report
Name your 3 most picked champions and I can recommend some heroes for you.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Binge22 » December 30, 2013 3:45pm | Report
legend, Yorick , Riven, Olaf

Binge22

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 30, 2013 3:57pm | Report
So you like Mobile Bruiser, well I'd take a gander at Strength heroes then. Also if you like Olaf I think you'll enjoy Huskar. Yorick is a tricky one depending on how you play him, but I think you'll like Abaddon if you play him like I do, and for Riven maybe Centaur.

I'm looking more towards the gameplay than the actual skills/abilities.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Binge22 » December 30, 2013 4:01pm | Report
yea guess its hard to try and do it ability by ablity, going to have a blast now, try the heros you said, seem to know quite alot about both games, cheers for your help mate

Binge22

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » December 30, 2013 4:03pm | Report
Yup, anytime. Don't forget that if you hover over hero guides there's a sub-section for general strategy.
We have a couple good authors that will help you nail down the basics pretty fast.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved