Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New player trying to support

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » New player trying to support 18 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JustDota » August 6, 2013 9:47am | Report
Hey guys, I am new to the Dota 2 scene and after reading several threads and other info it seems like playing support is a good option for new players. My question is, who are the best support Heroes to start off with? I have only played 2 games online and tried out the sniper and witch doctor. Honestly, i am not sure if those are even the type of characters i should be playing at this early stage. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
I am terrible but such things shall change!

JustDota

Steam: SecretCorvo7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 6, 2013 9:52am | Report
I suggest trying tanky supports such as Tidehunter and Earthshaker.

They have easy spells to use and also are pretty tanky.

There are many more options you can pick, though.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » August 6, 2013 9:55am | Report
I suggest Jakiro and Lion.Both are good at any stage of the game, one is squishier but has more one targeted disables, the other one focuses more on AoE damage and crippling enemy carries.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JustDota » August 6, 2013 9:55am | Report
Any ranged supports you recommend? I figure it might be best to stay out of the way for a little bit as to not feed the other team.

JustDota

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 6, 2013 9:59am | Report
JustDota wrote:

Any ranged supports you recommend? I figure it might be best to stay out of the way for a little bit as to not feed the other team.

Maybe Vengeful Spirit, Shadow Shaman, or Rubick ? They are pretty simple and have ranged attacks and disables.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JustDota » August 6, 2013 10:00am | Report
Awesome. I will give them a try against some bots. Never have i been so intimidated by a video game. and i have been doing this for 20 years. Its kind of nice actually.

JustDota

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » August 6, 2013 10:48am | Report
For sure you should try best competitive and awesome support Io. I mean, he is ****ing ball of light, how could you not like him? He can use useless team mates as a wards and place them on cliffs to give some vision over area, this also prevents them from feeding, so 2 in 1.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » August 6, 2013 11:31am | Report
Shadow Shaman is probably a good introductory hero, he is ranged and has no skill shots. Has 2 extremely long disables, a multi-target nuke, and his ultimate is great at pushing towers or helping out quite a bit in a fight. Its nice because even though he's a support, early game he has solo potential if you're teamed up with bad carries. Just make sure you buy wards and/or courier and you look up a guide or two to learn the hero prior to diving right in the game.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » August 6, 2013 11:52am | Report
Would not go with Earthshaker, as Hades suggested. He isn't actually that tanky, his spells can mess up your team if used wrong, and he has trouble getting items, and since he wont be farming, he pretty much relies on helping land kills to get gold for his core.

Tidehunter is great, he is tanky, and his ult is awesome. You feel like you're more than just a ward placer as Tidehunter, and can end up being the reason you won a teamfight even with 0 farm.

Lion, Crystal Maiden, Lina, Sand King, Abaddon and Venomancer are all good too.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JustDota » August 6, 2013 12:42pm | Report
Great info gentlemen. Thank you for the help!

JustDota

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved