Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Matchmaking and how to get better

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Matchmaking and how to get better 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by InspectorPing » January 22, 2013 11:29am | Report
Hello,

this is my first post on this site and I apologize in advance for my english, it is not my native language.

I am fairly new to the game, came from Starcraft 2 and currently have 90-82 statistics. However, I still seem to struggle with the matchmaking and my teammates, and of course my own skill. It just seems to me that I cannot really get good at the game when a Drow Ranger gets picked every game I play and my teammates immediately start feeding her with 5 deaths in the first 3 minutes. Or I try to play a support, keep wards up all game long, let the carry farm, dont steal kills and get called a noob at the and because I have 1-4-20 stats.

When does one get in the higher areas of matchmaking? I dont want to say that I play like a pro, but most of the time my teammates just dont seem to have any sort of sentience. Its just not fun when you auto-lose a game because of people who just seem to be playing with their feet.

And my second issue, I dont really now how and where to improve if I play without an arranged team. There is only so much I can do on my own. I mostly try to play the supportive role but that is just very unrewarding in public games. I try to watch lots of tournament games, but the teams there just excel at teamplay, which is mostly not present in my games. What are the best ways to learn how to play good Dota, except of course practicing and reading guides? Are there any players you would recommend to watch in order to learn?

Thank you for your answers!

InspectorPing

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » January 22, 2013 3:18pm | Report
You're matched with people in your win/loss pool. My suggestion is to find some good players to party up with and grind some all picks.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » February 4, 2013 2:00pm | Report
Work on the mechanics of the game, refine your movements, position yourself better for ganks, etc. Take a leadership role if you want your team to succeed, really helps if your team has some sort of coordination or "leader" to follow if it's a low level game. Remember to be a leader and not a dictator, the line between the two can be blurry sometimes in the minds of one.

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by zGKrom » February 5, 2013 5:08am | Report
Are you playing on Europeean servers ? If yes I feel your pain man xD, Basically what nubtrain and xCO2 said are a great ideea, especially since teaming up will help you get your co-opperative skill with your friends. Also with the players, well it depends what lane are you playing but you can learn alot by watching streams and even your own matches, seeking for mistakes that you previously did. It worked for me so yeah.

Best regards, Krom
The Bird of Hermes is My name, eating My wings to make Me tame.

zGKrom
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (10)
Steam: Krom

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved