Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Jumping to player games

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Jumping to player games 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Jazzumness » June 5, 2013 1:12pm | Report
So I have tried a lot of heroes for a bit and I cant seem to stand any of them besides sniper, he has low base damage but I like him for his ability to easily last hit and harass. I have played at 9 or so player games and i keep feeding mostly to people like invoker or beastmaster. i can beat medium bots and people say bots are better than people so I dont know the problem. I keep my distance and I try to have my teammate babysit me or if im in mid i hug the tower but its like being squishy is all that matters to the enemy any ideas?

Jazzumness

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » June 5, 2013 1:21pm | Report
Jazzumness wrote:

So I have tried a lot of heroes for a bit and I cant seem to stand any of them besides sniper, he has low base damage but I like him for his ability to easily last hit and harass. I have played at 9 or so player games and i keep feeding mostly to people like invoker or beastmaster. i can beat medium bots and people say bots are better than people so I dont know the problem. I keep my distance and I try to have my teammate babysit me or if im in mid i hug the tower but its like being squishy is all that matters to the enemy any ideas?

Sniper might seem easy, but he's not at all. He has no escape mechanism, a simple stun makes him very vulnerable and he requires a lot of farm to be effective.

I suggest you to try a beefier hero that has disables and nukes?
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » June 5, 2013 1:33pm | Report
skeleton king and Dragon Knight are pretty easy heros to learn.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ScurvyCur » June 5, 2013 2:27pm | Report
A couple points of note:

When up against new players, I would say that hard bots are going to be better coordinated, and better at last hitting and denying than a real player. This does not mean that they're better at strategy and focusing targets though.

This is especially important when considering characters like sniper. Early on, Sniper's only survival mechanism is positioning. He is slow, squishy, and has no escape mechanism. This makes him an easy pick off for any aggressive character with some burst damage, a stun, or both. He usually gets away with this against bots, though, because they don't rotate or gank anywhere near as much as real players, and won't switch focus to sniper when he presents himself as a target. This is compounded with the fact that, individually, a lot of bots se to have commitment issues when they start taking ranged damage, which often means that a bot will dither and take harrass fire from Sniper where a real player would either back down or decide to trade hits with Sniper.

Because of these issues, Sniper will dominate bot matches with ease one game, and then spend all of a pub match feeding Nightstalker the next. Sniper can be played effectively, especially against players that are too timid to gank him, or with a team that's actively protecting him, but pub teams will likely not guard or him very well, and it only takes one opponent who realizes Sniper is a snack to make your game miserable.

The heroes you mentioned feeding to are both heroes who have some potent early game tools at their disposal, and those heroes will always be hard for Sniper to handle.

Based on what you said you like about Sniper, I would suggest trying a hero like Kunkka for the harrass potential. You might also try Juggernaut, who despite low base damage, has a fairly efficient attack animation, which is helpful in last hitting. Juggs also has a built in magic immunity which can save him from ganks. Viper might also be a good choice, since Nethertoxin aids greatly in last hitting, and he has a cheap Q (forget the name off the top of my head) that is great for harrass. He also has a great animation for last hitting.

ScurvyCur

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » June 6, 2013 2:57am | Report
Bots are not better than people. Dominating insane bots is easy, but that doesn't mean you can just pubstomp because
1. Bots make bad descisions. Macropyre on creeps, stands right there while a teamfight happens, etc
2. No situational items

Anyway, you should listen to the guys' suggestions (except kunkka, how dare you recommend kunkka to a beginner) and find another hero that suits you.

And you should try most of the heroes, because maybe you just tried hard heroes AND sniper.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yosiu » July 14, 2013 5:02pm | Report
Dont play with hard bots, they are cheating as hell, they can avoid many skills becouse they have maphack.
Play some games with medium bots, then you can practice in coop game vs hard bots (don't play bot only game with hard bots - it's much too frustrating).
But i started playing player games since first day without any bot game practice and it wasn't that bad :D
Especially if you read guides on dotafire. You will have huge knowledge advantage over most beggining players.
You can practice some easy heroes on bots, but i strongly not recommend playing skillshot based heroes like pudge or mirana - they will almost always dodge your skill (btw i'm not raging, its' confirmed on dev dota forum)

@samukobo yeah, jakiro bot is terrible, he misses most of his skills if you try even most lamest jukes.

Yosiu

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xhiei » July 15, 2013 3:31am | Report
Yosiu wrote:

Dont play with hard bots, they are cheating as hell, they can avoid many skills becouse they have maphack.

Ahh.. that explains the hard mode bots.

xhiei

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » July 15, 2013 3:47am | Report
xhiei wrote:

Ahh.. that explains the hard mode bots.

It's not maphack, they have artificial intelligence, they calculate EXACTLY where the spell will go, how much damage it will deal, how much remaining HP he will have, etc.

It's a very complex thing, it takes everything in consideration.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » July 15, 2013 4:23am | Report
Hades4u wrote:

It's a very complex thing, it takes everything in consideration.

That is of course, everything except you dying in a situation that would take a turn if they came, them sitting at 100 HP and the fact that you should push because you just got a teamwipe and you have less kills than the enemy (Roshan is more important, right?)

But yeah, you shouldn't play with bots in general as they are either too stupid to actually do something simple properly or are good yet absolutely awful teammates.

Bots are good to getting a feel of the game itself, but that's it. They don't prepare you for "real" games.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Visualz- » August 1, 2013 8:55pm | Report
I'd say learn/try new characters/roles, avoid carry role, maybe it also has to do with your build, so, try some guides. Bots are programmed to understand the basics of the game(last hitting, denying, damage and disable calculations, etc.) While actual players have strategy at their disposal.

Visualz-

Steam: Visualz

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved