Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help me decide which character to play first :/

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Help me decide which character to play first :/ 35 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CodeMonkey123 » August 7, 2012 8:07pm | Report
Hey guys, CodeMonkeyy here. I've been researching DOTA 2 for quite some time now, and I decided to pick a character and learn a lot about it so that when I play my first game, I'll be able to know what I'm doing. Here's a list of the characters (or heroes as most people call them) that I would like to play and I personally find interesting.

-Witch Doctor
-Drow Ranger
-Gyrocopter
-Omniknight
-Treant Protector
-Sniper
-Vengeful Spirit
-Warlock
-Outworld Destroyer
-Spectre

Well, yeah, that's it. I don't want someone really boring, but I also don't want someone that is tremendously hard to learn. I hope you guys can help me with my predicament. Oh, and two side questions. What country is Team Zenith from, and is Morphling hard to play? His agility/strength switching seems difficult. Thanks guys :D

CodeMonkeyy
Hey. I'm a new guy in the DOTA world, so yeah. :D

CodeMonkey123

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frankenfart » August 7, 2012 10:36pm | Report
Omniknight is a good first hero that's pretty easy to play and your team will love you for it.

I would suggest against playing just one hero a lot, because it's very important to try out different heroes, learn what they do, what their tricks are, and how they play for you to be able to team with them or stand against them.

Also, yes, Morphling is hard to play in that if he doesn't get farmed a lot, he's pretty useless.

frankenfart

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by rusPiglets » August 7, 2012 11:31pm | Report
Omniknight is NOT an easy hero to play at all.
Timing and knowing every hero is important when playing Omniknight, this qualities are obtained with time and experience though.

Plus, when playing support you have to buy wards, couriers. You have to pull and suck your teammates ****. This is not a good introduction to the game.

I say go Sniper.
People go 22-4-12 with him on the first try. Also he is really easy to last hit with, which is a very important skill to learn.
Funny vids with heavy accent and cursing. Click the pigs!

rusPiglets

Steam: rusPiglets
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Iratesniper » August 7, 2012 11:55pm | Report
I think you should play Sniper first due to him having long ranged attacks, and he is a fairly easy hero to play.

Iratesniper

Notable (5)
Steam: Iratesniper
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » August 8, 2012 8:29am | Report
I think you should try Zeus , he's easy to play and has a lot of damage.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » August 8, 2012 9:09am | Report
Tidehunter is my personal recommendation for new players.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CodeMonkey123 » August 9, 2012 3:08pm | Report
Tidehunter? Just curious, why do you suggest this as a newbie hero? He seems like a really import ***est with a hard to time ultimate that can make or break a team. And ironically, FrankenFart and RusPiglets, Omniknight is my favorite hero, followed by Gyrocopter. :)
Hey. I'm a new guy in the DOTA world, so yeah. :D

CodeMonkey123

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Skorfos » August 11, 2012 12:09pm | Report
I actually agree with the Tidehunter pick. His play style is easy enough, and one of the easier to land ults. Being an initiator, he kind of forces you to learn engagements. His last-hit potential is pretty easy early game, and he definitely isn't item dependent. Plus, his ult isn't his only excellent skill. Gush and Anchor Smash are amazing for team fights, and really easy to use.

Skorfos

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TinySmahed » August 11, 2012 9:44pm | Report
[sven] is good for beginners because of simplicity. he has a stun, 2 buffs and a passive.

TinySmahed

Notable (2)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Admiral Chocobos » August 11, 2012 10:50pm | Report
I believe most of the Heroes you chose out of the ones you wanted to play as are rather hard to get the hang of in the first game of Dota 2. The ones I think you should play as should either be Gyrocopter, Drow Ranger, or Sniper.

I think you should go for Gyrocopter. He has basic attacks/Ultimate and (he's one of my favorite heros) hes hilarious. But note: one of the major things in Dota 2 are...if you want to defeat the enemy you must be the enemy. Basically I mean that you have to know about the enemy well if you are to successfully kill him.

But its your choice. Good luck

Admiral Chocobos

Notable (1)
Steam: Space Xatu
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved