Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

General Mechanics + Hero Suggestions?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » General Mechanics + Hero Suggestions? 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » February 23, 2014 8:45pm | Report
As the title says, I'd like to know more about the mechanics and I'd like to hear some good picks for someone noob like me :P

mentoring wuld be good, too

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » February 23, 2014 9:18pm | Report
well....

first of all...no1 can list you all the mechanics of dota 2 ...you have to be more specific if you want that question to be answered.

secondly, what kind of role(s) do you prefer. since you also used the term "champions" i assume you used to / still play LoL (its HEROES in dota 2 ^^) and since some people here also played LoL, maybe you could list some "champions" you enjoy playing in LoL.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » February 23, 2014 9:57pm | Report
Well I was/am mid main so basically I've played AP casters. This meaning champions such as Malzahar, Nidalee, Gragas, Orianna etc :p

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » February 24, 2014 6:13am | Report
So basically, you would like magic damage casters.Well mid here doesn't only rely on this, so this means that you'll have some sort of hybrids like : Shadow Fiend. But, if you only want magic damage casters suggesting you try Queen of Pain, Puck, Invoker (after you mastered the game)

There are some more obscure mids like Pudge or Templar Assassin (TA entirely relies on physical damage) that are worth to learn.

Mid here does not mean stacking ability power and using exclusively magic damage.Mid heroes here are going mid because they need quick levels (usually a quick 6, except Invoker - who needs any level he can get )

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » February 24, 2014 8:17am | Report
malzhar <3 i used to play a lot of malz.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » February 24, 2014 8:58am | Report
ok ...so apart from Malz it sounds like you are looking, for heroes with strong lane control, long range harass, high impact ultimates and a good chunk of mobility ...if im right, that narrowed it down quit a lot^^.

my suggestions:

Puck - very mobile hero, with lots of burst potential, if he is close enough to the enemy. Illusionary Orb is a fun spell, with a quite unique mechanic in dota 2. His W and Ultimate bring good teamfight control to the table.

Ember Spirit - now the opinions on this heroes differ quite a lot. Some say, that he is 2 weak to have any impact without the right team, others say, that he is totally OP and fits on basically any team. Anyway... from my POV this heroes damage potential is ridiculously high and without Hard CC you simply cant catch this hero. Once he is stunned however, ES is melting very very fast. Positioning and good judgment are necessary to successfully play him.

Queen of Pain / Storm Spirit - 2 very mobile heroes who are all about pick offs and burst damage. Both of them can snowball out of control fairly easy and can basically carry an entire team until your carry has finished farming and is ready to take over.

Mirana - not necessarily a mid hero, but this hero is literally an allrounder in dota2. Leap gives her some mobility, Sacred Arrow and Starfall are powerful ganking spells/nukes, Moonlight Shadow is giving your ENTIRE team invisibility...making ganking AND retreating very easy. Thanks to agility being her main attribute she scales quite well into lategame and has some carry potential.

Skywrath Mage - His lane control and burst damage are insanely high. Arcane Bolt does so much damage (especially in the early game) and has huge range. Concussive Shot and Ancient Seal are superb utility skills, that can be used offensively and defensively. Mystic Flare (if used well) can bring almost any hero from 100 - 0 in an instant. Unlike the other heroes i listed though, Skywrath Mages mobility is a joke and once he is caught by the enemy he is basically dead : /

i hope those are, what you were looking for

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » February 24, 2014 9:08am | Report
Thanks for the answers! I'll Try Then ASAP :)

EDIT: I'll edit this post after I've played with the heroes and tell how I felt playing them

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 24, 2014 10:51am | Report
i wouldnt necessarily say that becouse you played a certain type of hero/champion in another game like LOL that you should try that type of hero in dota.

if you want to play the game for a prolonged period of time and get semi-decent/good in your matchmaking pool i would follow these steps:

Step 1: Read welcome to dota 2 you suck. http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
Everyone who gets into the game should read this.

Step 2: Play every single hero, or atleast the ones you think are interesting. If you dont play all get to know then by watching all 107 of dotacinema's hero spotlight video's that explain hero skills but not the hero themselves in about 2 minutes.
Learn the standard hero roles and pick according to that.

Step 3: Play a lot of dota. Get good at some heroes and try to play any role to some extent.

Step 4: Read a lot of guides and people's responses to them. Try to think for yourself why a certain build is better in a specific situation. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT (BLINDLY) FOLLOW THE STANDARD RECCOMENDED ITEMS IN THE GAME!!!!!11!!!!!111!
Learn basic hero synergy and why certain heroes are better in certain situations.

Step 5: Watch the competitive scene. This will help you massively in understanding the game. From items to skill builds to why a certain hero is so good in a certain situation.
I have been watching it since before the international 2013 in August and i still learn things and get better at the game from watching it.

You can stop at any step but that will mean that your progression will stall and you will hardly get better. Atleast relative to your matchmaking pool.
See for yourself how much you want to commit to dota.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved