Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Top List

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Top List 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » March 24, 2014 10:50pm | Report
I came across a website called Dota2TopList http://dota2toplist.com/
It tracks players mmr rating. I joined and it directed me to another site called SteamTracks https://steamtracks.com/

Steam Tracks uses a bot that you have to friend request. I'm a little worried that this is a phishing site. As accepting friend requests from bots is usually a good way of getting your account hacked. Does anyone have any info on this? Is it legit?

manic_e

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PiNG- » March 24, 2014 11:29pm | Report
Edit this might me a phishing website dont click on it1

PiNG-

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bontscho » March 25, 2014 1:54am | Report
hi there

adding a bot won't get your account hacked. with that logic everyone on your friendlist can hack your account.
what gets your account hack is getting lured onto a fake steam site that asks you to login via steam to for example add someone ("i have friend who wants to trade with you", we all know about those tactics, reports are all over reddit).

dota2toplist and steamtracks are 100% legit and all steam links are the official ones. you can easily verify that in your browser (valves ssl certificate and url is steamcommunity.com).

TLDR: dota2toplist.com and steamtracks.com is legit and always check urls if they are the official ones when in doubt

lemme know if you have further questions

bontscho

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » March 25, 2014 2:04am | Report
Seems fishy, new account made just recently that is supporting a not well known site.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Steam: smiles
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bontscho » March 25, 2014 2:47am | Report
yeah, i didn't have a spare dotafire account lying around, and since it doesn't support openid i can't use my 9y old steam account. i don't know what will convince you, the amount of posts on this account seems to be valued more than the logical arguments made in that actual post.

you can read the official reddit thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1z3abw/hey_i_present_you_a_website_i_worked_on_automatic/) i made when i launched dota2toplist, maybe you find something fishy there. but this will be my last effort unless you start actually bringing valid points to support the fishyness of those projects ;)

bontscho

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by William » March 25, 2014 3:23am | Report
I signed up to this a while ago. Added the bot.

Nothing bad happened, but I don't use the site so I removed the bot only a few days after.

William

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (7)
Steam: Bill
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » March 25, 2014 3:25am | Report
Im just making sure. Sorry if I offended you by being kinda cynical about it. Ive had people add me before and then give fake links.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ancient Hero » March 25, 2014 3:25am | Report
Im just making sure. Sorry if I offended you by being kinda cynical about it. Ive had people add me before and then give fake links.

Ancient Hero
<Editor>

Notable (17)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » March 25, 2014 4:28am | Report
This is okay from what I know, I've seen it all over joinDOTA and pro players, Valve is coming with their own system soon any way.

Use it at your own risk.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bontscho » March 25, 2014 5:04am | Report
@ancient hero:
it's just very tiresome for me to always have to explain myself. users throw around wrongful statements all the time and even when i explain it in detail they sometimes just don't want to hear it. it happens all the time especially on reddit. good projects getting downvoted to hell because one user throws around the word phising (or other negative things) and other users who don't want to inform themselves jump on it and downvote too.

i put a lot of hours into those projects with the goal to create new and cool services for the community and it is just very tiresome to deal with those kind of things.
steamtracks has just hit 10K users, in my book that is pretty awesome, but i'm in no position yet to simply just don't care about those statements. so i try to check in where i get traffic from and help explain if needed.

@hades:
yes, joinDota wrote an article on it 3 weeks back, that was very awesome for me :)
valve is doing their own leaderboards now, yes, but it only affects the top 1%. dota2toplist.com is for everyone and gives you a certain perspective how you rate among other participants, and you get also your own mmr tracker so you can see your progress over time.

i'm also working on a few updates with a few more cool features, so i encourage you to keep your eyes open :)

bontscho

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved