Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Rock Paper Sissors Failed In Dota 2 Harming the Intels

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Rock Paper Sissors Failed In Dota 2 Harming the Intels 27 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » April 2, 2016 6:57pm | Report
TL: DR.

Kek

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 3, 2016 6:25am | Report
Intelligence would yield % magic resist on strengths
Intelligence would yield faster cast rate on agilities (not % damage)
Intelligence would yield % reflect magic damage (with proportional mana cost)

All to represent the multiform nature of intelligence itself, and the theme of each classification.

strength, Tankability
agility, Speed
Intelligence Reflect (Intelligence as thinking, reflecting as rational thinking)

And proven by the subconscious aim of the game developers due to the fact that blade mail is intelligence themed.

Since a skull basher is already in the game, the upgradable strength item I figure would be called something of the titan...

And upon each upgrade would make the character appear a little bit larger with each upgrade.

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » April 4, 2016 1:53am | Report
Why not say that agility gives better cast rate, strength gives tank and int gives spell reflect?

Why is there a need to add a new int based mechanic?

Also, the game is skewed to agi so it is agi that is making the rock paper scissors fail in dota.
Consider agi gives armor attack speed and damage.
Str and int only gives damage plus HP pool or mana pool.

Make armor buyable or delink damage from stats makes this an easy fix.

State practical case for int reflect. You already have blademail.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 4, 2016 9:23am | Report
Because reflect and movement speed are special and utility in concept

While Agility is capturing a raw concept useful for farming.

That makes it interesting...

All 3 could still attain a reference point of balance between each other

but if you want to tank magic, get strength plus intel

Necromicon

If you want to tank physical damage, get strength plus agility

Build sange and yasha

Aren't satisfied? Get all stats

And not finishing off an intel with magic damage could mean that a 1 life intelligence hero could get some potential efficient use of his mana before dying.

Different from a strength hero who always gets complete value of his life pool before dying.

Blade mail is not actual intelligence reflect, only symbolic of

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 4, 2016 11:04am | Report
@KEEP CALM AND FEED

However.... In deep thought of a consideration in favor of your argument, I would say

Strength yields plus damage and life pool, the plus damage is universally accessible from all classes

agility yields movement speed, attack speed, armor (damage replaced with % movement speed that is very small growth)

Intel yields mana pool % magic damage reflect on intels,

intel yields mana pool % cast speed on agilities

intel yields mana pool % magic resists on strengths

That would make sense potentially....

Why? because it still preserves the rock paper scissors element that is already going on to a good degree in the game.

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 4, 2016 11:32am | Report
Oh and one last thing...

The % movement speed is what is applied when a strength gets agility only plus the armor

The % attack speed is what is applied when an agility gets agility only plus the armor

an intel gets movement speed and attack speed when collecting agility, no armor

That would preserve the rock paper scissor

So intelligence would yield something different for each class

Agility would yield a rotation of 2 out of 3 possible values depending on class

Strength would yield damage and life pool universal

"Different but worse is not better, better is better" - Blizzard Entertainment

But they don't get better difference because they don't put in the time

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The Frosto » April 4, 2016 11:49am | Report
Well most melee heroes are melee
Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in it.
-Cicero

And still every dota player flames someone else instead of himself.

The Frosto

Notable (14)
Steam: The Frosto
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 4, 2016 12:30pm | Report
one last change, no movement speed when intel gets agility

When intels get agility they get attack speed and a diminishing increased chance to block, shield required

remember that most intels are ranged and have half the block damage

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyfoid » April 5, 2016 6:05am | Report
Oh.............................

And strength heroes would get a diminishing % increased chance to reflect physical damage instead of armor per agility.

The amount would be something proportional to block chance and its block amount at first or somewhere between its growth.

But I ask you to truly think about why for a moment...

Take centaur war runner, he has the greatest amount of strength growth in the game.....

So is this strength hero and his abilities not iconic and thematic enough to show us what the strength hero would be receiving in effect upon agility growth?

Raw damage reflect and % movement speed.... these basic elements very representable by the strength man himself, centaur, now centaur would be the corest of cores, hardcore.

By not having armor growth, or by keeping things different like this, it preserves the rock paper scissors counter system EVEN WHEN GOING ALL STATS, and that's the critical reason for why these things need to be worked out.

We could examine the highest agility and intelligent growth heroes and find inspiration from there design and philosophy for the effect yielded by stats, but let's lay everything out on the table for now and then ask if intelligence heroes should be receiving attack speed upon agility growth, because that would be the only real thing to question.... I personally don't see a problem with it for the time being.

Strength: Damage, Life Pool (universal to all heroes)

Agility: Yields % movement speed and % chance to return on strength heroes, yields armor and attack speed on agility heroes, yields attack speed and % chance to block on intels (shield perhaps required) There would also be critical returns and critical blocks upon being critically hit if proced.

Intellegence: Yields mana pool and an increasing % magic damage return at all times on intel heroes but the % magic damage returned must be payed for with a proportional mana cost. Intels cannot be completely killed by magic damage.

Intel on agility heroes yields mana pool and % cooldown reduction

Strength: Yields mana pool and % magic damage resistance

That pretty much sums everything up, the complete answer that takes dota 2 to the next level.

Kyfoid

Notable (9)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » April 5, 2016 8:33am | Report
This is too complex for a game that is already complex.

Strength getting damage reflect is the same as spectre's dispersion. That is just broken.
I can go Lucifer and have two assault cuirasses and basically have 30k ehp!

As for agi growth and int growth on agis, you completely messed it up. Ursa will have an always on overpower or void can even perma bash. That's broken!

Intelligence aspect is just too weak in comparison to what you suggested for str and agi. I suggest you take it to drawing board since rock paper scissors is left unbalanced.

Just to be sure, which ones rock and paper and scissors.

Also, if you want I can help you with this crafting wanna know how i would do it? Do let me know

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved