Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dota 2 AFK

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Dota 2 AFK 6 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bballer23 » June 24, 2014 7:56am | Report
While Dota 2 is obviously a computer game, there are a few skills IRL that you need to be a good player. I am here to ask how to improve at Dota AFK. There are some specific skills I would like to focus on. I have listed them below:

1. Decision Making-Being able to be decisive and instantly choose the right choice when the time comes
2. Reaction Time-If anyone has some sort of other game that improves reaction time I would like it if you posted that below
3. Fast Fingers-Required to get off your combos quickly and efficiently, again any exercises or things will help
4. Quick Calculations-If you have any tips or shortcuts to calculate in your head, it would be appreciated if you could post them. This helps players judge the amount of mana or hp they have and if it is enough to get away or pop their combo.
5. Teamwork-While you can't exactly improve on this yourself, there are things you can practice with your team or friends to get better together.

Thank you for anyone with tips

bballer23

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 24, 2014 8:05am | Report
Teamwork should be included in the list.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » June 24, 2014 8:23am | Report
Fast Fingers: play Magicka. :D
Jokes aside, I think any RTS can help you in most things Dota needs: I've been playing RTS games since I was very young, and while I don't play those kind of games anymore I think it left some good coordination for Dota inside me. Other things involving reaction time, teamwork and decision making can be improved by playing some sports like basketball or football/soccer, but sadly not many people have the time and the opportunity to do so.

Also, I think I've lost all my ability to be "decisive and instantly choose the right choice when the time comes" after Steam sales came out: I bought 5 games in about a week...

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » June 24, 2014 8:51am | Report
Having decent Michael skills : Play Starcraft. Seriously, I was really good at SC - Broodwar. Can't say the same thing about SC II - way too lazy to go though the learning process again.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bballer23 » June 24, 2014 10:27am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Having decent Michael skills : Play Starcraft. Seriously, I was really good at SC - Broodwar. Can't say the same thing about SC II - way too lazy to go though the learning process again.

Michael skills? I assume you may have meant micro skills but idk anything about starcraft so you may be making some reference. That aside, I will be sure to try these things out. I also found a reaction time...trainer if you will. Aimbooster. It is hella hard but I assume it helps. I advise going on training mode so you can set up how fast you need to react

bballer23

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » June 24, 2014 5:58pm | Report
Yes Michael skills is a common way to say micro skills, longer to type though :p

Like with any game or sport really, it's practice. Most of the stuff you do will just become instinctive. Most of the time you won't have the opportunity to do a quick calculation to see if you have enough mana. You just have to know. I'd say arithmetic is more important for when you need to calculate your gold quickly. For instance "can I afford that item and still have enough for buy back" that sort of thing.

The things that you need to be a really good player is the right attitude. Don't rage, don't cause unnecessary arguments, communicate, be polite, stay focused on objectives that sort of thing. You may have all of these qualities already, if you do you're a better man than I.

The rest will just come with practice.

If you are having trouble with coordination with the buttons you can of course change them to your preferences. Everyone is different but personally I like having my most important item on the space bar. The one button I can always hit quickly :p

manic_e

Notable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved