Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Guide formatting - need a better typesetting system

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » Guide formatting - need a better typesetting system 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Shados » July 31, 2013 5:14am | Report
So, guide formatting here is... clunky. Very, very clunky. You can achieve nice effects with it, but basically anything involving positioning content requires fiddly hand-tweaking of awful hacks. It's clunky to the point that making a guide look good was such a PITA that it has actively put me off making another, or even merely updating my existing one.

I understand the desire to keep guide formatting relatively simple so that it is easy for new guide authors to pick up, but you should seriously consider adding an 'advanced' formatting option that lets you use a safe HTML5/CSS3 subset or such - or really any semi-sane typesetting system. I'm not asking for LaTeX or anything here (although come to think of it... ;P), but as it is I doubt I'll ever want to write another guide because it'd be such a struggle with the formatting to get it to look the way I want it to look.

Shados

Notable (1)
Steam: Shados
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » August 1, 2013 6:19am | Report
So this means that you are lazy to code everything in BB?I mean, on paper doesn't look that good, but when you release it you get some sort of an satisfaction.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yasutsuna » August 1, 2013 8:34am | Report
Experimenting is all you need. Heck, it took me a month to write my first guide because I was testing the formatting every time.

But like Wulfstan said, you'll get the HELL YEAH! feeling when you get your guide as it is. Just read Dr. Dre's formatting guide. He also linked it to a few good websites.

Yasutsuna
<Veteran>

Memorable (51)
Steam: Yasutsuna
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » August 1, 2013 10:02am | Report
I would also like to see an "HTML5/CSS3 advanced option", but BB code suits me just fine. I doubt it would be worthwhile developing these tools just to format guides that are already easy to format to great effect.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Shados » August 6, 2013 10:04pm | Report
Yasutsuna wrote:

Experimenting is all you need. Heck, it took me a month to write my first guide because I was testing the formatting every time.

But like Wulfstan said, you'll get the HELL YEAH! feeling when you get your guide as it is. Just read Dr. Dre's formatting guide. He also linked it to a few good websites.

You may have missed the point about me already having gotten a guide looking like I want it to look. Having done so, I'm loathe to either update it or write another due to two main problems:
  1. The current formatting system is very limited in what it can do in terms of positioning of elements/division of horizontal space. What you can do with it is very fiddly, requires manually tweaking every last bit and will never line up quite right.
  2. The current set of supported bbcode tags/elements is pretty limited - we don't even have a (preferably configurably-sized) 'horizontal rule' element.

#1 is most of what is dissuading me from updating my existing guide; any update to certain sections will require a lot of messing about with the formatting just to keep things looking the same.
#2 is mainly in respect to writing more guides.

Again, I'm not saying that "you can't do anything good-looking with this system", I'm saying "there's no reason the formatting system should require so much hand-tweaking of element positioning instead of supporting proper layout mechanisms". I'd rather spend less time fighting with an unwieldy formatting system and more time developing content - wouldn't you?

Shados

Notable (1)
Steam: Shados

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved