Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Would upgrading my internet improve ping on international servers?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Would upgrading my internet improve ping on international servers? 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Neolexia » March 23, 2014 3:33pm | Report
I live in NY and currently have Time Warner Cable basic cable internet (I believe it's like 20 or 30 mb/s. I get amazing ping as you can see on my signature on US east (obviously), and really good ping on US WEst (no higher than 90-110).

My team however is in Europe, and I pull like 200-300 MS when playing on EU west/east. So my question is - if I was to upgrade my internet to like 50mb/s down, would I get better international ping? I understand that download/upload speed doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ping, but will the quality of my internet be good enough to get lower ping on EU servers?

I understand this may be a stupid/simpleton question but I don't know the answer. I don't know if because it's across an ocean, I will never have optimal ping in the EU servers but it's worth a shot if I ask.

Edit: If it's an ISP thing, rather than a speed thing (which i'm guessing it is), is it true that FiOS connections server as a much better connection for a lowered ping when playing on an international server?

Neolexia

Notable (1)
Steam: [N]
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » March 23, 2014 4:10pm | Report
Yeah, if you would upgrade your internet I believe on EU it would be like 120-200 ping, but you can't go below that at all... it's difficult and it also depends on the server population.. some times the server crash and don't work no matter how strong your internet is.
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SeekHeart » March 23, 2014 5:52pm | Report
I got fios which is 80down and 50 up I think and I can play EU West with 100-120ms ping so it would help.

SeekHeart

Notable (2)
Steam: 熊猫仔
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Neolexia » March 23, 2014 9:47pm | Report
Okay thanks guys! Appreciate it!

Neolexia

Notable (1)
Steam: [N]
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by saifthedestroyer » March 24, 2014 1:56am | Report
weird how i have 1mbps (roflmao) and live in asia and i still get 100 ping on EU :3
i rush mask of madness and basher on puck :3

saifthedestroyer
<Editor>

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » March 24, 2014 3:00am | Report
you dudes get 20 Mbps.****ers.

i get 2Mbps,and get no more than 110-120 in any given server.
ANY ****ING GIVEN SERVER. I'm based in SE-Asia and only play in US-east west.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PiNG- » March 24, 2014 6:20am | Report
Man you guys are balling on that upload and download i get like 15 down and 1 up... soo saddening.....

PiNG-

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » March 24, 2014 6:54am | Report
.... i hate you all. i live in Perth, Western Australia ... the most isolated city in the world ... i get 2mb a second if im SUPER BLOODY LUCKY ... average speed is 500-850kb a second.

my average ping for games even held in australia is about 90-120 ... and im super lucky if i get a game with 60 ping.

and i have the best Ip in perth ...

I hate you all ... :(

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » March 24, 2014 8:38am | Report
12.85 down, 0.62 up...I win! T-T

Still, I get <60 ping on EU West. <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by saifthedestroyer » March 24, 2014 1:09pm | Report
Guys i have 1mpbs and get less then 140 ping on every server i win
i rush mask of madness and basher on puck :3

saifthedestroyer
<Editor>

Notable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved