Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Having issues with early aggression

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Having issues with early aggression 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Happygilman » March 10, 2014 1:31pm | Report
My team has been having issues with early aggression teams. We put wards up but the other team has 4 heros in the 1 lane and they just constantly gank over and over. If we leave the lane they follow. If we put more people in lane they still keep us under tower. Is there a good way to counter this besides just having vision? This is the only play style that wrecks us and we just cant seem to stop it regardless of what we try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happygilman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » March 10, 2014 2:01pm | Report
turtling usually works quite well against ganking teams.....pick 1 hardcarry and let him farm for as long as he can. The 4 other heroes should therefor be setup to protect towers and keep the enemy at bay. Most gankers are bad pushers, so having heroes like Windranger, Lina, Earthshaker or Keeper of the Light in your team, lets you clear creepwaves extremely fast, preventing the enemy team from getting any objectives at all. 60 minutes into the game a 6-slotted Hardcarry can deal with about any ganking-hero (if they are not overly fed).

If that doesnt work / fit your playstyle you could also try to go for an early teamfight setup and do - as noobish as this may sound - a pubtrain. Tidehunter, Warlock, Puck, Gyrocopter ..etc.etc. are heroes that come to mind. A team made of ganking heroes shouldnt be able to contest pushes at all against such a lineup, enabling you force early fights - which you should be able to win easily.

Edit: as an easy rule of thumb for drafting you could say that:
Ganking > (Spilt-)Push > Teamfight / Turtling > Ganking

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » March 10, 2014 2:01pm | Report
Can you provide a few Match IDs? It'll be easier to give advice if we can watch the games. For now, I'll try guessing, but depending on both Team's lineups, sometimes it's better to fight back, sometimes it's better to Split-Push, sometimes it's better to Gank the Solo Farmer, etc.

Whenever a Team has 4 Heroes in 1 Lane, there's always 1 Lane that's completely empty and thus, ripe for Pushing. Make sure you have at least 1 Hero in your Lineup who can easily take undefended Towers quite well early on, e.g. Nature's Prophet, Pugna, Dragon Knight, etc. or at least someone who can Farm the empty lane, perhaps even disrupting their Solo Farmer (who they're probably trying to create Space for).

If you want to fight back, make sure you have a Hero that can turn around fights and deal lots of Damage, etc., e.g. Gyrocopter, Nyx Asassin, Visage, etc.

Or maybe have a Core in that Lane who can use a Flash-Farm skill to avoid the Pressure, e.g. Dragon Knight, Pugna, etc. and just get more Exp than them (assuming you can survive that Lane 3 vs. 4)
L0bstz0r wrote:

turtling usually works quite well against ganking teams.....pick 1 hardcarry and let him farm for as long as he can. The 4 other heroes should therefor be setup to protect towers and keep the enemy at bay. Most gankers are bad pushers, so having heroes like Windranger, Lina, Earthshaker or Keeper of the Light in your team, lets you clear creepwaves extremely fast, preventing the enemy team from getting any objectives at all. 60 minutes into the game a 6-slotted Hardcarry can deal with about any ganking-hero (if they are not overly fed).

I wouldn't recommend picking a Hard Carry against a Ganking Team, it's better to pick a Hard Carry when you're the one who'll have 4 Heroes antagonising the other Team, since a Hard Carry needs Space to Free-Farm. If there's 4 enemy Heroes in a Hard Carry's Lane, you can bet he isn't gonna Farm well, making him entirely useless.

A Hero who can do well in the Late Game is a good idea though, but one that can fight back early on, e.g. Gyrocopter, Dragon Knight, Juggernaut, etc.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Happygilman » March 10, 2014 2:16pm | Report
Thanks for the advice!
I will try to find some matches when I'm on my computer but that wont be until tonight.

Happygilman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » March 10, 2014 3:45pm | Report
Take a long view on this kind of thing - if they have 4 heroes in a lane, they're getting very minimal experience and spreading the farm very thin too. As long as they're not getting kills, they're rapidly falling behind.

Hide your heroes at that lane and be very passive, while the rest of your team make out like bandits in their lanes. Keep that vision up so that when they rotate to try their luck elsewhere, it's those heroes time to hide while the others farm.

As long as they're not taking towers or getting many kills, then between the shared/minimal lane experience and time spent roaming they'll be a load of underfarmed and underlevelled heroes. You'll eat them alive mid-late game.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved