Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

TECH HELP

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Videos & Streams » TECH HELP 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PhYrE-bAt » October 2, 2013 7:42am | Report
Hello All,

I have posted about this on other forums, but i was hoping that someone would be able to help me out a bit because I am at a point where I don't know what I can do or what is the problem.

I recently built my own gaming desktop and spent a good amount of money on the components to make sure it is a good machine. I have played dota 2 for a while, but I have been having trouble with a bunch of mini lag spikes in game. Mostly it occurs when a lot is going on in the screen, but other times just as i move across the map.

In addition, i Play CS:GO and the same issue occurs. I also built this computer with the hopes to start streaming, but the lag intensifies when I have OBS/twitchtv open. I cannot keep an internet browser open while I am playing, which defeats the purpose of my 2 monitors.

I have run multiple internet speed tests and my speeds are good around 28-30. I ran a diagnostic on my computer (Windows Experience) and my rating was 8.1 so I know the problem is not my connection nor is it my hardware. I am running NVIDIA EVGA GTX 770. I am wondering if the issues could derive from the driver i am using? i am using the most up to date driver. I can't think of anything else.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

PhYrE-bAt

PhYrE-bAt

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » October 2, 2013 9:59am | Report
Tricky issue, there's a few potential causes:

- Bad blocks in your RAM (you can run memory tests from internet software)

- Bad blocks or caching problem with your hard-drive (run disk check)

- Your internet connection/router may be spiking or dropping packets

I'd probably start with no 3 and work backwards. You can run commands like this in DOTA from the console:

Quoted:
net_graph 0 1 = Draw the network usage graph, = 2 draws data on payload, = 3 draws payload legend.

I think it's roughly the same one in CS:GO. Basically it will show your ping record as a graph - that way you can see if your connection is spiking or dropping packets when you have these stutters.

If it is, you could take a look at your router settings / change your game internet settings / call your provider / change provider. High bandwidth isn't the same as having a reliably low ping, and dropping packets on your connection causes even worse problems. There's apparently quite a lot you can do inside the game to configure your settings to work better with your connection (reduce MTU - maximum transmission unit, reduce server calls, etc).

Look for the ones starting with Net_

Hope this helps.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by PhYrE-bAt » October 4, 2013 7:28am | Report
Hey Sando,

Thanks for your input. That actually helps quite a bit. I am definitely going to take a look at the graph tonight. I was not aware they had that option.

PhYrE-bAt

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved