Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Strategy

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Strategy 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raunor » April 3, 2014 1:50am | Report
Hello, basically I just wanted to hear your thoughts on a strategy that popped in to my head just now. I don't know if someone has done it before or not so if it has been done, don't hate.

So.. to the point.
Agressive trilane: aa, weaver, ogre/venge
Mid: lycan
Safelane: enigma

So the idea behind this is that trilane has huge killing potential with chilling touch and howl (and a reliable stun, hence ogre or venge who can contribute later on to push).
With proper bans lycan should have no problem laning middle because he's fine in most 1vs1 scenarios.
The idea behind enigma safelane is that he will just deny creeps and send eidalons to jungle, which works very good with howl while he mantains decent lane presence. In theory you can get over 100cs by 10mins if they let you (I tested that vs bots and got close to 90cs in 10mins without howl and I still have much room to improve). If that backfires enigma can always just go full jungle so that's not really a big problem. Also when the enemys decide to dodge you can always just switch lanes. You wont be getting as much from jungle as offlane enigma but you should be able to kill 1 camp over and over at least.
So yeah, basically lycan would rush vlads while enigma gets very fast meka/manaboots while trilane cripples the enemy trilane. After that you could just start pushing and take roshan when given the opportunity and after that you should have big enough lead to end the game.

Of course this would not work vs every setup but do you think it could work in right conditions? Note that lycan and aa are very common picks these days so by going for those first you don't really lock yourself to any draft and can adjust to pretty much whatever.

Raunor

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » April 3, 2014 2:11am | Report
sounds good on paper.will have to test in real life.

dont count results with bots because bots are so easy to deal with.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raunor » April 3, 2014 2:18am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

sounds good on paper.will have to test in real life.

dont count results with bots because bots are so easy to deal with.

I just did that to see how jungling while laning goes and it's is doable. That's why I mentioned the game vs bots

Raunor

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 3, 2014 3:44am | Report
Raunor wrote:

With proper bans lycan should have no problem laning middle because he's fine in most 1vs1 scenarios.

Actualy, he really suffers in 1 vs 1 scenarios, especially against a strong Laner. Viper, Queen of Pain, Razor, Outworld Devourer, Kunkka....even Sniper can make him miserable in Mid-Lane by smacking him around (or Tidebringer) whenever he gets close to the Creep Wave, or Farming his Summon Wolves if he tries using them for Last Hitting/Harrassing. These are just the first 6 Mid-Laners off the top of my head that can shut down a Lycanthrope 1 vs 1.
Raunor wrote:

The idea behind enigma safelane is that he will just deny creeps and send eidalons to jungle, which works very good with howl while he mantains decent lane presence. In theory you can get over 100cs by 10mins if they let you.

I like this idea, but you'd have to be careful about which Offlaners you try it against. I can see a Bristleback having a field day against this, using Quill Spray to Flash Farm your Jungle and Eidelons, not to mention he can Harrass Enigma quite effectively with this as well.
Raunor wrote:

If that backfires enigma can always just go full jungle so that's not really a big problem. Also when the enemys decide to dodge you can always just switch lanes. You wont be getting as much from jungle as offlane enigma but you should be able to kill 1 camp over and over at least.

If you lose your Lane, it's easy for the Offlaner to come into your Jungle and continue to dominate you.
Raunor wrote:

Of course this would not work vs every setup but do you think it could work in right conditions? Note that lycan and aa are very common picks these days so by going for those first you don't really lock yourself to any draft and can adjust to pretty much whatever.

I don't think Lycanthrope Mid will ever work in any Professional gam (unless they practically give Mid-Lane away), but your Aggressive Tri-Lane could work, and I'd be very interested to see how a Safe Lane Enigma plays out.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » April 3, 2014 5:24am | Report
The thing is lycan mid has been done a couple of times in pro games. =D

Usually it was either a farm fest mid or they helped the lycan by ganking the other mid.

It your lineup you might as well run enigma mid though. He is actually a really strong laner and can beat a lot of strong solo's like batrider.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » April 3, 2014 6:02am | Report
Actually lycan is a pretty darn good mid, ive won against most common mids like pudge, sniper, invoker, puck, qop , magnus with him.
Those wolves hit real hard.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 3, 2014 6:06am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

The thing is lycan mid has been done a couple of times in pro games. =D

Usually it was either a farm fest mid or they helped the lycan by ganking the other mid.

Actually lycan is a pretty darn good mid, ive won against most common mids like pudge, sniper, invoker, puck, qop , magnus with him.
Those wolves hit real hard.

I stand corrected D{8

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » April 3, 2014 10:51am | Report
Problem is that 90% of the time that team will draw an aggro tri from the enemy (who's looking for an Enigma jungle), and at best Enigma will lose the tower pretty fast, at worst he feeds.

Your tri on the other hand might win, but that tri isn't built to push or dive towers, so I can see them having trouble against someone that just camps the tower.

The problem I have with Lycan mid isn't the laning, but after it. You've got two main teamfight contributors, AA and Enigma, who are both underleveled, and a Lycan who can't really take over a game by himself like a more traditional mid.

It'd probably be a lot more viable if your solo bot didn't scream "send your tri against me!!!" I'd probably swap the Enigma out for a Puck or Magnus who can give you the initiation you need, and you'd probably see the 3v3 lane you wanted as well.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved