Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Jungling with non-standard heroes (successfully)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Jungling with non-standard heroes (successfully) 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by drakon136 » March 1, 2013 7:19pm | Report
We all know that some heroes can jungle successfully, while most others simply can't. However, there are some heroes that are capable of jungling, despite not being considered a 'jungler'. One example would be Skeleton King; he is capable of jungling with his Vampiric Aura, although not as well as proper junglers. Now, to the main point of the thread: What heroes have you found that are capable of jungling at least somewhat effectively?

I myself have found that Timbersaw is an okay jungler. His Reactive Armor gives him the survivability he needs to jungle; however, he is rather slow with this. Shadow Demon can also jungle with his Shadow Poison. At the right angles, it's even possible to Shadow Poison camps without drawing aggro. Unfortunately, it burns through mana quite quickly.

drakon136

Notable (3)
Steam: SURGE.drakon136
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 1, 2013 7:24pm | Report
Dark Seer isn't picked as a jungler too often, not sure if he's actually under the assumption of a jungler, but he can do it very well.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by daPhongster » March 1, 2013 10:11pm | Report
Jungler = Can jungle at level 1.

People who can jungle earlier than others should be the phrase you're looking for.

That being said, most nukers can farm the jungle by level 6, until their mp runs out. Hard carries can't jungle until they get an item, ranging from an expensive battlefury to just a morbid mask.

daPhongster

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » March 1, 2013 10:29pm | Report
daPhongster wrote:

Jungler = Can jungle at level 1.

People who can jungle earlier than others should be the phrase you're looking for.

That being said, most nukers can farm the jungle by level 6, until their mp runs out. Hard carries can't jungle until they get an item, ranging from an expensive battlefury to just a morbid mask.

Lifestealer

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » March 2, 2013 5:21am | Report
I've found that there are quite a few unorthodox junglers that can be up and running anywhere from lvl 3-8 depending on the hero. However, for more than a few of them the player is forced to take skills that he normally wouldn't at that phase and/or a premature boost in the stats.

Here's a few I found that have worked (that haven't already been mentioned):
Leshrac
Kunkka
Lina
Magnus
Sand King
Treant Protector
Sven
Spirit Breaker
Vengeful Spirit
Centaur Warrunner
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp12 » March 2, 2013 7:56am | Report
I think we need to draw a line between "should" and "can" jungle. Some heroes (Enigma, Bat, Chen, Bambi, Doom, Kotl) get far more GPM than a laning hero. Enigma will hit level 6 before a solo laner. On the other hand, KoTL and Bat are just far too strong in lane to jungle unless you have to.

Some jungle far too slowly to be viable there (Bloodseeker, Skeleton King, Druid, Lifestealer), or are too strong in lane (Seer, Axe, lifestealer)

Others (Lycan, Dusa) can jungle quickly but are at very high risk of getting shut down.

Most of them only farm about as fast in jungle as in lane (Profit, Seer, Ursa, QoP, Magnus), but open up another lane to be solo (good or bad).
Feel free to check out my guides for Spectre, Dragon Knight, Siren, Medusa, Sniper, Disruptor, or Void. They're pretty cool.

Sp12

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » March 2, 2013 7:44pm | Report
Sp12 wrote:

I think we need to draw a line between "should" and "can" jungle. Some heroes (Enigma, Bat, Chen, Bambi, Doom, Kotl) get far more GPM than a laning hero. Enigma will hit level 6 before a solo laner. On the other hand, KoTL and Bat are just far too strong in lane to jungle unless you have to.

Some jungle far too slowly to be viable there (Bloodseeker, Skeleton King, Druid, Lifestealer), or are too strong in lane (Seer, Axe, lifestealer)

Others (Lycan, Dusa) can jungle quickly but are at very high risk of getting shut down.

Most of them only farm about as fast in jungle as in lane (Profit, Seer, Ursa, QoP, Magnus), but open up another lane to be solo (good or bad).

I agree. There's more to this discussion than whether or not a hero can or cannot be a jungler.

What about classifying the pseudo-junglers based upon given standard? For example:
    1. Whether or not the hero should EVER jungle
    2. The hero's success probability
    3. And what level (if it is possible) the hero can successfully jungle

I have no idea how the rating system would work, or even if this idea is worth the effort. But if it did work, it would probably give this conversation some decent structure.
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » March 3, 2013 11:56am | Report
Yeah, I think the right words are "can" and "should" - one of my pet hates is jungling Batrider - sure, he's actually a pretty good jungler, but his early laning is such a pain to deal with that it's hard to see a situation where you wouldn't want him in lane.

Nature's Prophet on the other hand...he's a reasonable laner, but I think he works well as a jungler because the enemy is used to him being "unseen", which allows him to pull off some great unexpected ganks.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mirror » March 3, 2013 4:40pm | Report
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL50F6B8B4E373137C

This is were I go for all of my abnormal junglers.
My lone druid starting items are 12 Iron wood branches, 6 for the hero and 6 for the bear. Even if the bear does not get stats more twigs are OP on any hero.

Mirror

Remarkable (22)
Steam: TC | Shooting Star

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved