Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Captains Mode role selection.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Captains Mode role selection. 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » March 6, 2014 11:07pm | Report
I've been thinking about this a lot and we clearly need a role choose in Captains Mode. Every player to select a hero and choose the role type he is gonna play the whole game. When you select a role the heroes who are only available can be only picked. There can be no more than 2 Carries, no more than 2 Supports, no more than 2 Initiators and no more than 2 Junglers. So basically the pick should be 1 Carry, 2 Initiators, 2 Supports or 2 Carries (can be both hard or one can be semi-carry or just a carry), 2 Initiators, 1 Support or 2 Carries, 1 Initiator, 2 Supports, 1 Carry, 2 Initiators, 1 Jungler 1 Support.

Example:

Choose Role:

Carry
Support
Durable/Initiator
Ganker
Jungler

When you chose one of the roles, let go for the main role Carry. Only Carry and Semi-Carries will be available to pick. Sven, Lycanthrope, Lina, Lifestealer, Doom Bringer, Lion, Puck, Enchantress etc.

If you choose the Durable/Initiator role type, the following heroes will be available: Axe, Centaur Warrunner , Bristleback, Timbersaw, Elder Titan, Treant Protector, Omniknight, Tidehunter etc.

Available for Support: Bane, Crystal Maiden, Necrophos, Omniknight, Lion, Keeper of the Light, Ogre Magi etc.

Available for Ganker: Pudge, Mirana, Shadow Fiend, Bounty Hunter, Night Stalker, Spirit Breaker, Puck, Storm Spirit etc.

Available for Jungler: Nature's Prophet, Lifestealer, Wraith King, Axe, Ursa, Bloodseeker], [[Lycanthrope, Lone Druid, Chen, Enchantress, Enigma.

So a pick would be:
  • , , , , .
  • Support, Carry, Support, Carry, Initiator.

Or
  • Carry, Support, Jungler, Initiator, Initiator.

One more thing when choosing Jungler role you have a another role to choose Carry or Initiator or Support. When choosing Jungler/Carry available are: Lifestealer, Wraith King, Lycanthrope, Legion Commander, Ursa, Bloodseeker. The thing about choosing a role will be very good instead of fighting who will be carry or support.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by DzikaPanda » March 7, 2014 12:25am | Report
Still captain chooses everything, so I don't see any use for it.

Also I don't like calling roles as Carry, Support, Durable/Initiator, Ganker, Jungler etc, I pref saying position 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as it's more accurate in my feel.
"When game is going full ******, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half ******, you´re ****ing done for. When Aloha decides to go middle rubick you let him, and you start buying orb of venom on invoker. That's how dota works" -n0tail

DzikaPanda
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (16)
Steam: Kawaii Moe Kid
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » March 7, 2014 1:05am | Report
DzikaPanda wrote:

Still captain chooses everything, so I don't see any use for it.

Also I don't like calling roles as Carry, Support, Durable/Initiator, Ganker, Jungler etc, I pref saying position 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as it's more accurate in my feel.

It's not for any use. People start fighting over what roles they want Carry mostly carry. It would be better to choose roles.

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » March 7, 2014 4:02am | Report
i dont give a **** what they want.just ask them the roles they wanna

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » March 7, 2014 4:42am | Report
I think in lower level pub's most people just want to carry but if you looked at say 4000+ MMR rating in ranked Captains mode there would be similar things to what you have suggested Fear, I mean I try to always keep the balance when picking my hero such as whether the team needs a support, initiator etc.

But then again the captain chooses everything, so basically yes It would be a nice idea in lower level pub's but think more about the higher end of the scale, they may want to try something new or run 1 carry and 2 semi-carries which all could be played in other roles, the errors that would be produced from coding/raging from players would be not worth the implementation and time in my opinion.
Your new diet for heroes; You will need 4 wards (cuz wards taste better), 1 set of tangoes, 1 mango, 1 cheese.
With this you can make a nice Tango Mango Cheese platter. You can wash this all down with a nice bottle of water, Can be flavoured with red, green, yellow, blue, purple AND GOLD!
Caution: Taking roshan 3 times is required.

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » March 7, 2014 6:39am | Report
Zerak Kyria wrote:

But then again the captain chooses everything, so basically yes It would be a nice idea in lower level pub's but think more about the higher end of the scale, they may want to try something new or run 1 carry and 2 semi-carries which all could be played in other roles, the errors that would be produced from coding/raging from players would be not worth the implementation and time in my opinion.

This ^

Sometimes teams will try experimental line-ups or have differing beliefs over what "role" and lane a Hero fits best in any given lineup, e.g. Mirana, Windranger, Alchemist, etc.

It's just better to play Captain's Mode in a 5-stack where you've agreed who will be the captain (ideally someone who understands how to Draft) and go from there. Captain's Mode is ultimately about coordinating with the other 4 players to create your "best" possible lineup, which can change drastically for each different 5-stack.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » March 7, 2014 3:53pm | Report
I don't think I've had more than 1-2 disputes over roles in -CM/CD in a few hundred games now, it's never an issue (and I'm solo in over 90% of those)

Having to pick certain roles at a predefined time would completely undermine the majority of drafting strategy.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by JaboChepelski » March 7, 2014 9:34pm | Report
I agree with what Xyrus said, some characters can be fairly flexible so you can't really contain them within a single category. The role priority system is more significant in that respect. For example, I played a game a few months ago against a team with perhaps one traditional support pick and then just carries (semi and hard carries). At first it seemed like a strange draft but they were using a VS, CK and Sven in a trilane, prioritizing the Sven as the hard carry while CK was acting more as a 4 role. It all depends on your team coordination and communication. Obviously if both people are trying in lane to act like the hard carry, it won't work right, but if you understand your role, unorthodox lineups and plays can work.

JaboChepelski

Steam: [☭Comrade☭] JabØ Chepelsk
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » March 9, 2014 12:47pm | Report
have to agree with the rest. Heroes like Mirana, Lina or Abaddon can fulfill multiple roles. It would be unfair to tell a player which way he has to play his hero. This selection system would make the game far more static (like it is in LoL), which personally i dont really like.

But a new gamemode would definitely be nice. Playing Captains Mode is 2 tryhard imo (you basically see the same heroes all the time) while All Pick is 2 chaotic. Maybe a mode similar to LoL's ranked mode (which is one of the good things of that game^^), where you ban 3-5 heroes first, and then every player picks for himself in some kind of order.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » March 9, 2014 5:00pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

have to agree with the rest. Heroes like Mirana, Lina or Abaddon can fulfill multiple roles. It would be unfair to tell a player which way he has to play his hero. This selection system would make the game far more static (like it is in LoL), which personally i dont really like.

But a new gamemode would definitely be nice. Playing Captains Mode is 2 tryhard imo (you basically see the same heroes all the time) while All Pick is 2 chaotic. Maybe a mode similar to LoL's ranked mode (which is one of the good things of that game^^), where you ban 3-5 heroes first, and then every player picks for himself in some kind of order.

But I still think role choose should be added. Ok maybe not to Captains Mode but mostly to All Pick.

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved