Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

New Dota 2 player coming from LoL

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Mentoring » New Dota 2 player coming from LoL 3 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NytramZ » August 12, 2013 3:42am | Report
Hi all,
I have recently started Dota 2 and only been playing bots.
I main support and jungle in LoL and would be happy to continue this trend in Dota 2.
I feel nearly ready to go into normal games but I think there are a few 'tricks of the trade' that I am missing having only played bots and would love some help from a mentor.

Many thanks for replies in advance.

SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078281707/

EDIT: I play from the UK - EU West

NytramZ

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » August 16, 2013 1:51pm | Report
Well what in general have you noticed as different? There are many differences, Jungling is much different than LoL, as well as how the jungle works, in league you have the blue and red buffs, than what golems, wolves and wraiths? In dota, you have the same amount of camps, but they're on the side where your safe lane is located for radiant/dire sides, and it takes a bit more getting used to than a rotation of camps like in LoL, with creep stacking, warded spawns, and the need for more visibility.
2 major differences: Couriers and creep denial
Supporting is much more active in dota, stacking jungle and ancients camps, pulling the lane, smoke Ganking etc.

Send me a request on steam, I'm the only sulaxrox on there so I shouldn't be hard to find, my avatar is blatantly obvious ( it says I love beer) and I may be able to provide solid feedback depending on the question, I played League for awhile around the same time I was playing HoN
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NytramZ » August 19, 2013 2:35am | Report
Hey Sulaxrox,

Yeah you have pointed out the major differences and those are most of the things I need help with :)

Also I probably need some help with itemization - without having 2 summoner spells I cannot judge WHEN I should be trying to get one of the 'gank' items like the dagger or the force staff.

I could also use some help with best times/places to gank as I am rarely needed to gank as a support in LoL and am not so used to it - and I don't fully understand 'pulling the lane', so a few questions I'd like to ask :)

Will add you in the next few days when I am back home - thanks for the reply!

NytramZ

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved