Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

LoL > DoTA convert looking for mentor

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Mentoring » LoL > DoTA convert looking for mentor 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » August 28, 2012 5:21pm | Report
TL:DR Version: I want a mentor who'd be willing to talk things through with me cause I learn best from other people and holy **** the differences between LoL and this are pretty expansive.

Hey guys. Thanks in advance to whoever take the time to read this.

I'm coming from The League. I played pretty heavily for about a year and got pretty confident in PuBs and some PuG Ranked matches as well, never played enough Ranked to get a solid ELO (I think it was around 1300 during the season I played seriously) but I like to think I wasn't terrible. I'm switching permanently to DoTA because I have a lot of respect for originals and I feel like this is where the real scene is going to be.

I understand a lot of the core concepts that are similar between the games like last hitting, pushing or not pushing lanes, XP Denial, harass, etc, so the things that are part of the genre I'm familiar with. It's more the things that are specific to DoTA is what is giving me trouble like creep blocking and pulling, items, different micro, and holy **** there are a lot of heroes in this game lol.

I'd really like to have someone with some core knowledge talk me through some of the finer points and help me with questions. I typically learn things by reading TONS of information, guides and wikis but those are still being built since DoTA 2 isn't even entirely live yet. The best way for me to learn is to talk through things with an expert, so that's what I'm looking for.

I'm 27, I'm a military vet, and I'm a quick study. I won't waste your time, promise.

My SteamID is Raidhyn.
I'm available most evenings after 7 p.m. Central U.S. time.

Feel free to ask your questions if you got em. =)

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
Steam: Raidhyn
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 4, 2012 11:51am | Report
Well, been playing for a solid week now with WAY too much time invested before I started school. I have about 25 wins and I feel a lot more comfortable with the game in general. Still would love to have someone to chat with though.

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blitxxen » September 4, 2012 12:47pm | Report
Raidhyn wrote:

Well, been playing for a solid week now with WAY too much time invested before I started school. I have about 25 wins and I feel a lot more comfortable with the game in general. Still would love to have someone to chat with though.

So sad that nobody actually answered to this, I would but I only play at weekends and I dont have to much patience I can say lol.
A little tip, pick an easy hero to play like Lion or Spirit Breaker and you will learn to play it in a few time, also always have suggested items list on. Watching replays while you are matchmaking a game its useful has well to burn some time and learn something from heroes you are interested on.

GL and welcome to Dota btw, most people are scum.

Blitxxen

Notable (7)
Steam: Shupaaa
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NotSureIf » September 4, 2012 2:06pm | Report
I'll gladly teach you the ways of Dota 2. I believe we will have some timezone difficulties however. I've added you already whenever you want to get started.

NotSureIf
<Editor>

Notable (16)
Steam: Bugger
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 5, 2012 5:19am | Report
Thanks to the both of you.

School just started for me and I have two part-time jobs now, so it looks like I'm going to be relegated to weekends now anyway.

I've been having some good success with Dragon Knight / Chaos Knight, both characters I like a lot although I've been doing random lately to get more used to the roster.

I'll look for invites, I'd love to play with you guys this weekend (Friday night, Saturday Night, anytime Sunday) when I've got some time to dedicate to DoTA learning.

- R

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by WannaBeP » September 5, 2012 10:12pm | Report
I'm always down to play a game, give WannaBeP and add on Steam. I usually play on the weekends too. Can you queue on North American servers?

WannaBeP

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Raidhyn » September 6, 2012 4:12pm | Report
Yep, I usually sit on the American servers unless I'm playing at some ungodly hour and then I go EU. I'm in Chicago so Coast to Coast works for me either way.

Raidhyn

Notable (4)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved